Sync edits between computers

Comments

10 comments

Robert Lancaster

I really don’t like sidecar files. They fill up your pristine originals folder with little files that other editors don’t open. Several Luminar competitors use them and it was one of the reasons that I like Luminar more than them

Comment actions Permalink
    Robert Lancaster

Also two people could be using the same originals file on an NAS and editing them different ways. You would not want a sidecar file messing that up

Robert Lancaster

I think a much better solution would be a method to sync edits from within the program’s UI to another copy of the program that is currently running. That could mean just clicking a sync button and selecting the files to sync over the network, or it could be an export file that you import into the other copy of the program.

Peter Gutbrod

Robert, I've already covered different solutions with their advantages and drawbacks already in my original post.

Problem with your approach is, it is semi-automatic and requires you to have access to both instances of Luminar when initiating your sync. Well, still better than no sync at all but this is not, what I'm asking for.

I'd like to see all edits done with another instance of Luminar on another computer to pictures within a network folder by browsing that folder with my Luminar instance. The computer with the other Luminar instance originally having done the edits might even be offline at that time.

There is no way to see these "remote" edits unless they are somewhere stored within the folder hierarchy where the originals reside. Either within individual sidecar files per image or, as I suggested, external mini-databases (aka combined sidecar files) one per folder. 

Steve Ratts

@Peter,

I've got no experience with Aperture or ON1, and I don't like using Apple Photos; but I've got fairly extensive experience with this in Lightroom. There the best solution I'm aware of is create a trip catalog on your laptop for editing on the go, and later when you get home you can import that catalog into the main one that may be on your NAS or wherever it is you like to keep it. I think this is a pretty common use case as lots of photographers travel, and so being able to do some editing on the road is useful, then when they get back naturally they don't want to loose their edits or need to rework everything.

Options seem to be keep your entire catalog on an external drive and move that drive from laptop to desktop, or work with two catalogs and later do something to sync them. Another option that could work in some cases for some folks might be having a single catalog in the cloud; but what happens when your travel takes you some place where the cloud is inaccessible?

I agree that sidecar files are a nuisance and clutter things up, but I think there are lots of ways around that problem. From my perspective I care a bit less about how a solution is implemented than I do *that* a solution is implemented!

Cheers,

Steve

Robert Turner

I see that Luminar allows for more than one catalog, There should be a  way to import phots/settings from one catalog to another like Lightroom.

Robert Lancaster

I wouldn't mind if sidecar files were an option that you could turn on and off.  But I was extremely annoyed a couple of months ago, when I was trying several different programs to see how I am going to replace Aperture, and several of the programs kept automatically creating all kinds of files in my folder of originals.  They didn't ask permission and just started making the files in my originals folder.  To try the next program, I had to go through and find all these files and delete them, because some of the other programs didn't like the files being there.  If I wanted to try one of these programs again to compare some feature, I would have to delete those files all over again.  To be fair, if I was using just one of these programs and not the others, I wouldn't get so annoyed because there would only be one type of sidecar file, but I still think I prefer to keep my originals folder with just the original images in it.  One of the things that attracts me to Luminar is that the DAM works similarly to Aperture's DAM (in referenced mode) with the added benefit of being able to automatically add photos to the catalog when you put them into the watched folders.  It is not as sophisticated as Aperture's DAM yet, but it's heading that way.

Erwin Kargl

I think L3 needs the ability to import a catalog into another catalog AND to relocate images, kind of LR can do and @Steve described above:

"create a trip catalog on your laptop for editing on the go, and later when you get home you can import that catalog into the main one that may be on your NAS or wherever it is you like to keep it"

Thanks Erwin

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I have forwarded your comments to the person in charge for the further consideration.

James Ashton

MASSIVE plus one for this - I like to shoot/edit on my laptop, but it's storage capacity is way too small for all my photos; they get stored on a NAS at home, where I have a desktop. I'd love to see the option for sidecar files (user selectable) so that edits remain synchronized no matter where you move the photos to, or what computer you access them with. Simple, no fuss and close to impossible to cock up.

Please sign in to leave a comment.