Luminar 3 Update From Support Team 1

Pinned

Comments

26 comments

Scott DB

First off, thanks for the update.  We do appreciate it.   But another thread started by you guys stated an update by 12/31, which would be far more agreeable than another month of not being able to use this program I paid for.      I'm confused.   Can you please clarify.    Thanks!

Peter Gladstein

I would suggest you list all known issues so we know that our feedback has been catalogued.

Why - I submitted two reproducible issues and the response I received was to uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks

Steve Ratts

@Scott Bowman, maybe you have re-read the post above and noticed it, but if not take heart. While they've stated that 3.1.0 is due in January/February, they've also stated that 3.0.1 is planned for 12/31. I believe the 3.0.1 release is to fix issues with crashing. As stated above the 3.1.0 is to fix issues with stability and performance.

It's great they're listening to our feedback and responding (or at least planing to respond) quickly. It would have been even nicer to not need these updates; but at least they're working the issues. I imagine things are pretty busy for their devs right now.

Cheers,

Steve

Scott DB

Yes, yes.  100% agreed.  Thanks Steve.   I'm sure they are slammed and handling the load as best they can.   I've been understanding and friendly too especially with software that doesn't function at the moment.  I've never bought software that didn't work.  The crew is definitely responding more today and it's certainly good to see the product is selling well.  I'm sure that'll inspire them in the future and hopefully it's building a community around a product that we can all enjoy and use for years to come!  

Edward Marshall

Oh please. I am surprised this was even released. It is completely unusable for any king of professional workflow. I can’t believe all the pundits/beta testers sang its praises over the last few months. Apparently they only used it with a couple hundred jpgs. I for one have moved over to on-one and photoshop. On one is ame price and version 2019 is everything luminary’s was supposed to be and more. And it works flawlessly on my 100k photos. All of which are 30mp or larger raw files.

Marc Feldesman

With al due respect, the fixes advertised do not reflect the fact that the software is completely unusable as released, and the fixes they’ve outlined here, do not in any way mitigate the fact that the software is currently useless right now and still won’t be at the end of January.  If I cannot edit a simple Nikon D500 raw file with minimal changes without using Force Quit to exit, and the changes not saved, the software is useless.  I don’t know what the beta process was like, but it has made utter fools out of people I know and respect who have eagerly shilled this software like it was the second coming.  I’ve have written software myself for more than 40 years, and have beta tested for dozens of major companies.  Not one of those companies would have risked their reputations letting such a ponderous, buggy, piece of software out of the gate with this many show-stopping bugs.  Skylum is risking its enire reputation on this debacle.  If I were Alex Tsepko, I would pull version 3 from the market immediately, offer purchasers their money back if they request it, and not release any software again without a punishing public beta.  As it stands right now, Luminar 3 is laughable, and I’d be embarrassed to be associated with it.

Marc Feldesman

If Skylum wants to redeem itself, it should update Luminar 2018 to support current cameras recently released (i.e. Canon mirrorless, Nikon Mirrorless, Fuji XT -3 and others) and let us stay there until Luminar 3 is fully stable.  I can use 2018 just fine as a plugin to LR and PS without a browser, just like I use Aurora 2019 within a LR or PS context now.

Bob Rockefeller

"With al due respect, the fixes advertised do not reflect the fact that the software is completely unusable as released"

I'm fortunate to report that I haven't encountered any of the described show-stopping bugs. I see the slow RAW conversion and lack of image caching, but everything works and it hasn't yet crashed.

Danny Bezak

For me, it is usable, so long as I don't use any keyboard shortcuts for the most part.  I have had a couple crashes, but any keyboard shortcut alerts the spinning wheel and lockup and Force Quit is the only option.  That being said, It makes it a long drawn out procedure to to have to use the mouse instead of the shortcut keys, even a simple enter instead of hitting the done button will throw it into a loop.

Luminar 2018 files come into Luminar 3 flattened, so backing out a filter for different purposes isn't even an option.

I'm hoping this will be fixed soon.

Dan

Ursula Rose

I too have had issues with crashing at every possible opportunity ,and now see that I am not the only one. So hopefully this will be fixed in the near future. In the meantime I use Luminar 2018 and/or On1 RAW 2019.

Looking forward to the fixes.

Ursula

Majed Anani

Downloaded the trial version and took a couple of hours to build the Library. Worked fine. Today I decided to activate the software, since I am Luminar 18 user the activation code was in "My Account" on Skylum website. The software crashed after activation, spinning wheel the minute you move the mouse, and "Force Quit" is the only option to exit.

Rob Davis

Even by Skylum's rather sketchy reputation when it comes to major releases, this one tops the lot. I've seen plenty of negative reaction to previous releases but nothing on this scale. Skylum haven't helped themselves by building up expectations without seemingly doing enough real world testing.

So instead of us all marvelling at their work and saying 'great', 'just what we wanted' and having the odd bug here and there, many are left frustrated due to what seems like poor testing, again. It does not help their reputation at all. I've used Luminar since day one and want it to succeed.

Yes I have also worked in the industry so I have a little knowledge on how these things work. I feel sorry for the support staff having to take the brunt of people's frustrations.

I have no doubt they will sort this out but why do they do this time and time again and risk their reputation?

OS 10.13.6

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

1TB SSD

4 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

Bob Lowen

For me the update is unusable for reasons which I have informed support of, but which if I interpret their reaction correctly are not considered to be bugs.

1. The top panel seems to be the top panel of Aurora after everything was shaken about and changed from place. Very confusing if you want to work with both programs.

2. When I have made a custom workspace for myself I want that workspace to stay static. However, if you pick a look from the bottom panel, that workspace will change completely. I find this absolutely bad. That the tools required for that look and which might be missing from your custom workspace are added (at the bottom) would be OK, but that the whole workspace gets thrown away and often very much reduced to just a few tools is crazy. Deal breaker to me.

3. In view of my point 2, that there is no button to go back to the original is another incomprehensible oversight.

4. Finally again concerning my point 2. When the workspace is changed for a look all the headings of the tools become orange whereas normally they are white. Why do you not simply make the tool used in a look orange without changing the workspace (and add missing ones in orange to the bottom of the list).

Darlene Hildebrandt

So is everyone here that is having issues using the Windows version? I personally loaded about 30,000 images into the Mac version and had NO issues with that in Luminar 3. 

Marc Feldesman

You must be missing the thread.  It took over 6 hours to catalog over 150,000 images on a fully tricked out iMac 2017 (64 GB RAM, 2 Tb SSD, 4.2 quad core,  8 GB Radeon 590.).  After cataloguing. Every edit causes my iMac to crash (even minor exposure adjustments, or simple crops).  Useless as tits on a boar.  No way they should have released this gor the Mac.  Cannot speak to Windows.

Ursula Rose

Darlene,

You are one of the lucky ones;

I for instance have the Mac-Version (on Mac OS 10.14), also several others, if you read the forgoing posts carefully.

So the rest of us hope for the update at the end of December and January/February. Shall not touch Skylum 3 till it is more stable.

David Tillett

Bob,

If you are concerned about losing your workspace why not create another adjustment layer and load the Look into that? This leaves your workspace as is and has the advantage of allowing you to use the layer opacity to reduce the impact of the Look if full strength is too much.

This use of adjustment layers has been in Luminar right from the start, so not a Luminar 3 issue.

The History icon has moved to top of adjustments panel, click on this and you will be able to step back as required, there is also a button to reset everything to the original state.

Bob Lowen

David,

Thanks!

Now that is a great suggestion. Why didn't support mention this to me? This now removes my main concern.

Concerning the history button, I found it, you are also right it is there. Stupid of me not to have seen that.

Now I just have one more qualm: please make the tool buttons function and location uniform between Luminar and Aurora. This picture says it all. They couldn't have made a greater mess if they had jumbled them around at random.

David Tillett

Bob,

Glad that helped.

I think that the organisation of the toolbar in Luminar 3 does actually make sense in the new environment.

• Left hand 3 items relate to Library functions - import/quick edit etc & navigation in Library
    • Next two handle the layout of the interface with side panel and then Looks when in Edit Mode
    • Next two linked to image display sizes - grid icons in Library & Info, and Zoom in Edit
    • Then in Edit have preview and edit commands that are not linked to layers eg crop, don't appear in Library mode
    • Right hand side is the mode selection
    • History has moved into Edit side panel since that is where it operates

Agreed that it does not match Aurora, but at least the icons are the same. Rather than say that Luminar 3 should match Aurora, suggest that Aurora adopts similar logic for order of icons in a future release.

Steve Ratts

I agree with David Tillett re the layout of the icons. They ought to match for ease of use and reducing confusion, and the layout in L3 does make sense, so can you please consider updating Aurora icon layout to match L3?

Bob Lowen

I agree with both. As long as the layout in both programs is the same!

Ab de Graaf

I read this article about On1 in relation to performance. As I'm using a Imac 27" i7 2010 the conclusion is probably that the videocards can't handle these programs. https://www.thephotovideoguy.ca/blog/on1-photo-raw-2018-and-video-cards

Marc Feldesman

Ab de Graaf.  I take your point; however, many of us are using brand new, fast machines.  I've seen every kind of crash, spinning beach ball, delay, force quitting on a machine built for now - 2017 iMac 5K, 4.2 GHz i7 Quad Core, with 64 GB RAM, 8 GB Radeon 580 video card, 2 TB PCI-e SSD.  This machine runs every other application, including ON1 2019, Capture One, DxO Photolab, Topaz, PS CC, without hiccup, although Lightroom still remains relatively slow.

The issues with Luminar 3 go far beyond hardware.  These are software issues, buffer overflows for example, and hard software crashes.  Saves after edits are frequently not saved.  About 3 of 5 exits are "Force Quits" because the software can't recover from a state that frees up the Quit button.  While hardware might be implicated in some issues, most of the reports here seem software issues.

Allan Hise

A couple comments/questions about this list. 

I think you should avoid using the word import. All this does is allow Liminar to see your Masters, not use any of the metadata or organization structure of your photos library. I hope Skylum doesn’t see this box as ticked off when it comes to importing a photos library. Once the Luminar DAM supports these things, we will need a real importer of the metadata and structure of the library.

• Installation on Mac freezes at 100%. Use admin account to install.

Why do we need an installer? Mac software is traditionally delivered as a package we can just drop into our Applications folder. Older versions of Luminar and other MacPhun/Skylum Software did that. Why add an unneeded layer of complexity now?

Also, support should know that it can be done without an admin account. I was able to install on local folder of a non admin user, by selecting an install location that didn’t require admin privileges. 

Bob Dawson

My Luminar 3 was working just fine, then was asked to update - since then (2 days ago) - I have not been able to use the program. I have deleted the old program and reinstalled again and again but no luck. I then used the link provided above and the same thing - I install it open the program and then it just disappears. What else can I do to fix this? 

Marc Feldesman

Bob Dawson:  did you delete the previous catalog Folder when deleting the program.  If the installation gets messed up, I’ve found that the only way to reinstall without issue is to delete that entire folder .  Unfortunately, that means you lose your catalog, your edits, etc, but not your original photographs.  I know that sucks, but at this point I personally will nOt test Luminar 3 with more than a small subset of my entire library.  Until I can go through an entire editing session without having to force quit, and lose edits, the program is just a plaything when I want to get annoyed.  Since you bypass the catalg completely by editing an indivual phoro from within LR or PS, it is still useful as a powerful plugin, but it isn’t anywhere near ready as standalone software, much less a replacement for anything.

Please sign in to leave a comment.