Volume testing

Comments

8 comments

Ed Dumas

yeah, adding catalog restricts this software for newer computers with lots of memory and Under 10K photos, cannot see any "pro" photographers using this

Comment actions Permalink
    Dave Cox

I'll acknowledge my computer is not brand new, but with an I7 processor, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD + 1 TB hard drive, 17GB free space on my C drive, and a 1GB NVIDIA graphics card, all of this a little over 2 years old it isn't exactly stone age either. After deleting the Luminar catalog folder and starting again, my results were as follows,

No photo's = about 15-20sec to launch

1 folder (approx 650 photo's) = about 40sec to launch

2folders (approx 1400 photo's) = over 2 minutes to launch

Initially I had tried loading my entire collection, BIG mistake, it took all night to catalog then took ages to launch when restarted. I'm not a professional photographer, but even for me Luminar 3 is unuseable. By comparison Capture One, ACDSee, and Lightroom, all launch in seconds. I really liked the Luminar 2018 editing but am seriously thinking of abandoning ship. I bought and used L2018 waiting for the DAM addition but this is not usable software.

Angela Andrieux

We released a patch over the weekend (more info here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360036043011-Luminar-3-0-1-is-here) If you haven't already, please install it and let us know if the issue persists here or by creating a support ticket at http://www.Skylum.com/Support and linking to this thread.

Dave Cox

I installed the patch, and it does indeed speed things up, however, only from unusable to barely usable. But it hangs up, and or crashes regularly. I still have LR6 from my pre-Luminar days and have gone back to this for most of my needs. I had only just started to use it when I switched to Luminar, which I found more intuitive. I had barely looked at it at all in the last 12 months, but this constant use of the consumer as lab guinea pig by Skylum is driving me back towards Adobe big time.

Hans Wahlgren

I installed the patch promptly.  It didn't help L 3 to manage my volumes. I tried to introduce L 3 to my Pictures folder with approx 1500 small jpg:s. After chewing on that folder for one night I closed down L 3. I haven't even tried to present L 3 for my 150 000 photos on my photo disc.

Thomas Reichel

I've got the same problem with the start of Luminar 3. The time needed is incredible high. If there is no solution soon I have to  change my tool again.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi, most of the performance issues will be fixed in the upcoming update that will be released in early February. 

Hans Wahlgren

Looking foward to that. Since I wrote my first post I have upgraded to a Intel i9, 64 GB RAM, M.2 -disc computer, still L3 is "dead". I think I have hardware to run everything, but L3.

Please sign in to leave a comment.