Upcoming updates

Comments

23 comments

Rob Davis

Perhaps an explanation to everyone on how Skylum have managed to make a complete Horlicks of this release? Yet again. Perhaps next time there will be a public beta? Then again, there probably won't be a next time for me. 

I won't hold my breath!

Scott DB

Thank you for at least some acknowledgement!  That is appreciated.   But guys I have a program I can’t use and I feel like I’ve paid for a beta version of software. :(

Bernd Kunze

Alex,

not sure if I want to pay fully for a piece of software then go bug hunting for you! It is something you should consider for the development process, not for post-sales.

This is a joke, really. Overpromise and under-deliver.

Jim West

Alex,  this program simply will not run with any level of satisfaction on less than 16GB of RAM AND an SSD hard drive. You are creating a lot of problems for your tech people by your specs saying that it will. Trust me, I have tried running your software this past year on 3 different 8GB computers with non-SSD HD's (1 Windows and 2 iMacs) and it was painful. However I am now running Luminar 3 on a 2013 iMac off of an upgraded SSD HD and 24 GB of RAM and the program runs fine. As does Aurora 2019 after I upgraded.

My point here is not to downplay the bug fixes needed for other issues. But you really need to update your specs to a minimum 16GB RAM and an SSD hard drive. That is the price we users need pay for the latest software to perform. Anything less is misleading potential buyers and a recipe for a lot of frustrated users, like I was until I finally upgraded.

BTW keep up the good work on improving your products. You will have a killer program once you stabilize and get a full blown DAM. 

Jeremy Tyree

I have come to rely so heavily on Luminar and Aurora HD that I will hang with Skylum as they work on fixing problems.  Bought a maxed out 2018 MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM and 2TB drive and have not experienced any of the crashes/freezes people have reported on the forum, but I have not tried to load my whole library either.  This reinforces the fact that the application is not running efficiently.  Used to love apps like Adobe when I sold hardware at IBM.  Instead of a vendor trying to optimize their software, we'd just throw hardware at the problem, the sales guy making a lot of money.  This is one of the prime reasons I want to go with Skylum as they profess to leverage Mac's OS.  

However, it appears my application seems to be running OK per design, at least as best I can understand and with limited testing.  Nevertheless, there are bugs as well as design change requests that should be documented as well.  

I am retired, but selling stock photos on the side, so still need professional looking photos to add to my portfolio.  Being retired though, I do have the time to shoot bugs, and have the IT background to be able to interact properly with support.  Will stay with Luminar 3 through the initial pain, unless it becomes unbearable.  

Michael Ganz

Good to know that Skylum is looking into the reported bugs and crashes.  I'm hoping things can get resolved.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my hands around the disparity in performance from one person's computer to the next after seeing their system configurations, especially when the configurations surpass the minimum system requirements.  I'm using a 1 GB SSD with half the disk space remaining, and I see that one person commenting in this thread is using a 2 GB SSD without any issues at all.  Is SSD size going to be an issue?

Bob Rockefeller

This, of course, good news.

But it is disappointing to all that development time must be dedicated to fixing major bugs (crashers and significant performance problems) rather than working on the new features on the roadmap. I think it is universally recognized that the DAM, in its initial state, is far below the minimum expected by today's standards.

Jim West

I have a 500GB SSD drive with 24GB RAM. And I am running on the most recent iMac Mojave OS. Luminar 3 is running fine.   

I have loaded over 17K photos into my library and it did not take very long and I have had no issues. I agree with Michael Ganz in that I am also confused as to why some users are having crashes and others not? Are there differing copies of the software being downloaded from different sites? I just hope a lot of valuable time is not used trying to retro fit the program into lessor resourced computers. I tested the latest ON1 RAW trial version as well as LR & PS on an 8GB computer with a slow HD and they had performance issues as well- so it is not like the competition is much better. 

Alex Tsepko

Hey there. Thanks for the feedback. I won’t be getting into technical details on why the software behaves differently on different machines. But I’ll give you an example. Imagine you have a very powerful engine, and you need to put it inside dozens (or rather hundreds) of different cars - from older cars to brand new cars, from those that run on gas to those that are electric powered. How hard will it be? Will you need to make modifications to the engine? Is it possible at all?

We’re doing pretty much the same thing with Luminar, trying to fit it in many different computers, and provide users with the same best experience. Our analytics show that around 6% of current users have issues. And we’re working on fixing those issues.

The next update will come in the end of this month. Then, we plan a performance update in February. And more updates with new features and performance improvements. We will get there, and I’m really thankful to all of you for the feedback.

Happy Holidays.

Michael Ganz

As Jim West mentioned, is it possible that users are downloading different copies of Luminar 3 from various sites?  I'm using a Mac Pro with Sierra OS, 32 GB ram with 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel processor and have been having nothing but crashes and freezes, to the point where force-quitting doesn't work.  I'm hoping for a quick solution, but time will tell.

Jim West

I have been doing some fairly heavy multi-layered editing today with no issues. 

FWIW I downloaded my upgrade version very early on the first day: Dec 18th (at about 5:30AM MST). 

This is the download link I used on my Account page:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/mac/Luminar3Installer.zip

I am running this system:

Anders Svensson

@Alex Tsepko, the technical details would be more interesting. It's no different for your competitors, and yet I don't see Luminar's level of unreliability/flakiness with other products. (Although I've admittedly dismissed several before they even had a chance to disappoint.) You're clearly not testing enough.

And what analytics might that be? I haven't seen any notification/request/preference to indicate that Luminar is phoning home.

Colin Grant

And it is not just bugs it is the massive lack of functionality that also makes the dam of little use to many. L3 is running ok on my system, although I only have a test catalogue of around 3k images. The current lack of functionality of the dam however renders it useless for real work. The editor is fine and still works well with Lr fortunately.

Alex Tsepko

Hi all. The promised updated is being rolled out as we speak. Here are some details.

macOS:
    • Stability improvements. Fixed 20+ crash issues.
    • Fixed issue with folder destination for catalog.
    • Fixed crashing on quit.
    Windows:
    • Stability improvements. 40+ crash issues fixed.
    • Fixed language change issue.
    • Fixed issue with folder destination for catalog.
    • Fixed internet connection issue.
    • Fixed crashes in Lightroom/Photoshop plugins.
    • Export/Share moved to file menu.
    • Fixed issues with duplicated images.
    How to update:
    macOS:
    If you haven’t turned on automatic updates, click on Luminar –> Check For Updates. If you have, you’ll see the available update when you start the app. If for some reason Luminar crashes when you start it, reinstall it with the installer you previously downloaded and the latest version will be downloaded automatically.
    Windows:
    Click on Help –> Check For Updates. Luminar always checks for updates at startup. If for some reason Luminar crashes when you start it, just reinstall it with the installer you previously downloaded. The latest version will be downloaded automatically.

Nigel Turley

@Alex - don't forget the promise you made on December 6th:

"These are the elements that make Luminar - Luminar.

• Your photos are front and center. Forget extra distractions.
    • Your time is precious. Make great images faster with Luminar.
    • Innovation is key. Continue getting unique features.
    • Experience is key. You’ll enjoy working with photos in Luminar.

We promise."

So far, in my experience with Luminar 3 you've failed on at least 3 of these. I'm afraid that trying to edit images is not an enjoyable experience due to the distracting browser interface (it would be nice if there was some space around thumbnails and include image names), the speed of accessing images (any edits make load times ridiculously slow) and the way RAW images are preprocessed by your engine (I'd rather have some control over defirnging etc.)

I realise you're working to solve at least some of these but perhaps the rush release was ill conceived after so much hype, and the strangely glowing 'reviews' on some websites which gloss over the most obvious problems which 'real' users are experiencing and therefore lose credibility for the reviewer and Skylum...

Mark Hertel

There is a big difference between expecting the product to work properly and asking for design changes. Asking for design changes just because YOU don’t like it is presumptuous. If you don’t like the feature set designed in the product then don’t use it....

Nigel Turley

Fair comment, but the DAM was advertised as being in a different class and somehow ground breaking. Skylum also baited users with special offers prior to the release of Luminar 3 which reinforced those promises. As it stands, the Library module simply isn't fit for purpose in comparison to most other image software - the lack of space around thumbnails has been commented on in many other threads here and on other sites, not to mention the complete lack of keywording, search facilities etc...

As a paying customer of Skylum, I would like to think my (reasonable) requests would at least be considered, rarther than dismisssed as presumptuous...

Colin Grant

I'm with you on that Nigel. Perhaps if there had been some user beta testing it would have helped. And perhaps some extensive and complete previews would have served us likewise. In fact were the specs discussed with any grass root users I wonder?

Mark Hertel

Maybe presumptuous was harsh, I’m sure we all have workflow/feature changes in mind. At this point though asking for them is probably just noise due to the amount of valid “issues” they are having. I don’t think we can expect design changes or perhaps even replies to change requests until the issues are fixed.

Bob Rockefeller

I don't think the Luminar design is off base. In fact, it seems to bear some resemblance to Aperture (no modes and adding multiple filters of the same type come to mind).

The grid view is a personal preference and may be an attempt to offer a different approach from "the other guys." I prefer a traditional grid, but that doesn't mean Skylum was wrong to pick that method.

What is disappointing is the many missing DAM features we have all come to expect from other applications. Most of those are on the roadmap for 2019, but December of 2019 is a long way away for those needing a solid DAM now. I, for one, did not expect the DAM to be as immature as it is. Hopefully, the bug fix work won't intrude too badly on the roadmap timeline. But I sure do hope some of the more obvious basics can be added to the DAM in the earlier part of 2019 (keywords, IPTC editing, virtual copies, search).

Lutz Ulrich

That the DAM is more or less only a kind of a browser is allright to me, because I never used LR  and sorted my pics "by hand" in folders. The way, the structure of the DAM works nearly the same. So it is an exact "mirror" of my system, and this comes to my favour. I dearly miss IPTC, keywords, a defined search, a face-detection. timeshift-editing, eg.

Nigel Turley

@Mark - perhaps we can at least agree that they wouldn't be dealing with "issues" if L3 had been properly tested prior to release. Our expectations were raised by the marketing team and the developers are now struggling to catch up - I've been a supporter of many software houses as they introduced products and there are bound to be teething problems, but Skylum dropped the ball quite badly in not employing a wider beta test which should have teased out the bigger issues which made it to the initial release...

Hopefully the time will come when a wish list for future changes will have a higher priority...

Don't forget that my original post was referring to Alex's 'promise' which (for me at least) hasn't yet been delivered...

Mark Hertel

Agreed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.