Upcoming updates

Comments

40 comments

David Roe

You want folks to keep submitting bugs? 

You want basically everyone who paid for 2018 to get 3 as a beta tester.

What is the pay scale for all this work that should have been done prior to release?

Since it is before Christmas do you offer a Christmas Bonus for all the new temp testers you want?

How about just pulling it off the web, put up we are sorry we were not prime time ready and fix it.

A little humility right now by Skylum just might save you to release again in the future.

Comment actions Permalink
    Collin Moore

Nice first step, but you and the team have a lot of work to gain back a positive reputation. There needs to be more "I hear you". I look through the MAC and PC forums of people posting impressions and issues without anyone from Skylum replying.

Also from an optics perspective, you need more humility, especially being the first note from the CEO since the release of very turbulent release.

"Hi Everyone! It has been an exciting week here at Skylum with the release of Luminar 3. With all the effort we put into this release, it is clear from your feedback that we missed things. We are working hard to resolve these issues, but we still need your help..."

You can and your team can do better in creating a stable product as well as communicating with your users.

Neil Harris

I don't believe 6% either. I've installed L3 on three different PCs, one laptop & two desktops, each with completely different combinations of hardware (CPU, MB, graphics cards, etc) and OS (Win7 Pro, Win10 Home), and I'm having exactly the same problems with L3 on all three systems! What's the likelihood of all three of these systems falling into the problematic "6%" group? 

Dave Boettcher

I forgive you, Skylum. Have happy Christmas.

Uros Erste

wow, only 6%!!! Guess I should go and buy some lottery tickets, I feel very lucky being among 6% of users with unusable software. I would say that "6%" is an understatement... By the looks on the forum I would say it is in deep in double digits...

Collin Moore

I'm really confused and troubled by Alex second statement to the point of just abandoning Skylum.

First does the "i don't want to get into the details", but then uses a terrible and somewhat belittling analogy to explain software development to try to make sense or even excuse the issues in the initial release.

Seriously need to take a step back. Applogize. Define targets. Keep people up to date. Deliver on targets. That simple.

Also we still haven't seen anything that takes ownership of the launch or scaled back features, "We messed up and we will do better" or "We underestimated the severity of some of the issues..."

Bjarne Winkler

I have no idea where the 6% is coming from, but it does not count us that did not download the “beta version” to avoid the potential of a nightmare we are reading about in the forum.
    I know lots of Luminar 2018 users that, like I, did not fall into the trap and worse we lost some faith in that for some time the new Luminar 3.X is not going to cut it.  The worse part is that any fixes, updates and new filters to the image processing engine is not going to ripple down to the Luminar 2018.
    PS: I did offer, to Skylum, some months back to do free beta-testing but was turned down since it was not something that Skylum was taking that serious.  Maybe they should!

L S

In many ways I probably would have been better off spending my money with Adobe. It may be a bit slow but at least it has the features I need e.g. Importing photos. All the fancy AI stuff is great....only if I can actually get my photos into this app in some reasonable way.

K.G. Wuensch

@LS Lightroom has improved in performance considerably over the oast year, and it was never even anywhere as slow as Luminar was at it‘s best...

David Roe

Denial is a terrible thing.......  and in my book Skylum is in denial. 

If only 6% are having problems then the launch of this version was a bomb as it would appear very few upgraded or made the purchase.

Instead of just saying we screwed up and we are sorry and fix it they will try to spin it as a minor thing.

One thing it has done for me.....  major doubt they will ever see any more of my cash.  I really can not stand a company who can not admit to a mistake.  They are not that great and version 3 proves it.

This could very well start their slide into a company that didn't do it right.  A shame as Aurora is great but you can not rest on past work forever.

Luis Pinto

The new software culture is the app store style. Publish with bugs and then we'll fix it. I worked for Microsoft in the 90's when the company was criticized with any ridiculous bug. Now it's just a new behavior, a culture.
    Skylum team should enjoy their holidays, but should avoid leading customers that they have a state of the art photo editing software based on demos, videos and betas. You got our attention and our money, now it's time to be professional. If you need to remove Luminar 3 from the market, do it! But face the responsibility.
    We all seem to love the product, but we can't stand to the promise of faulty software being fixed by hard working coders that didn't know how to make it work at first. It's sad to what the engine metaphor by a company member. Any software company that is not able to handle the market context, shouldn't be in the market claiming to be an innovator. Please fix Luminar 3, I still would like to have it. If you can't, just assume it and reimburse your customers, be humble and eventually shutdown. Happy holidays

Marty France

"6% according to whom?  It's truly crap that I've lost a little money, but the publicity from this is going to cost you a lot more than what I've lost just because of your incompetence."  {My translation of the above--I can it because my name says I can.  ;-))

K.G. Wuensch

@LS I wholeheartedly agree that what they released is inacceptable. And that not only apples to the DAM aspect. I only recently found out that they even totally botched the RAW conversion - not only does it include an automatic noise reduction you can‘t control and which isn‘t governed by static parameters but rather an unpredictable detection of „unacceptable noise“. It also completely illogically treats the RAW conversion as a normal filter you can apply at anything between 0 and 100% - which fir example will destroy any white balance setting you may have made. These conceptually completely ludicrous things make Luminar a toy not fit for purpose of editing or managing images...

L S

I just realised there's also a paid update for Aurora. Don't think i'll bother with it given my current experience with Luminar 3.

Dave Boettcher

6% of user are having problems.
    If that true, how many forfeit $49 or $59 and deleted the install. Or,
    The user simply is not type of person who complains, or does not want to cause “trouble” by asking for a refund.

I just received an email from Luminar suggestion I Abut L3 as gift for family or friend. LOL

jean Vidal

6% de qui ils se moquent? vraiment une escroquerie j'ai perdu un peu d'argent mais la pub que je vais leurs faire leur en feras perdre plus qu'a moi incompetent vous etes

L S

Yes. but like some of the commenters here I am very disappointed that Luminar is turning more and more about the hype. They hyped DAM for almost a year (?) and this is what we get? That's why I'm really disappointed with the tone of the responses from Skylum on this forum. I have no idea how you could this is an acceptable product to release. 

I mean who releases a asset management tool with only 1 of 2 ways to get your assets into the system. Haha. it's like we're talking about half a dozen ways of importing images. 

L S

@KG Welcome to the brave new world of AI where everything is awesome but you have no idea how it's getting so awesome and no way of reverse engineering it so if the changes aren't what you want you can't do anything about it except start from scratch again and hope for the best.

Marty France

I'm coming from AfterShot Pro (the former Bibble) and the file/library structure and ability to do some simple things makes workflow so fast that I can get a first pass through hundreds of photos in a quarter of the time of Luminar or LR.  I expected DAM to get me at least close to that, but have been very disappointed so far.

Cameron Fetty

Your testing leaves a lot to be desired.  When releasing a "beta" software version it is best to tell people it's a beta and give them the option to install or not to install.

Since today is the 29th of December on a holiday weekend I suspect your bug fixes will not make the promised 12/31 deadline.

Personally, I don't see much of an upgrade on version 3, as it appears to be dumbed down.

David Weisbach

Well after reading all of these comments I decided to uninstall L3 until you guys get ALL the bugs worked out. I bought into the sales pitch but will wait till you get the program fixed and up to speed as promised. Yes I'm part of the "6%". Luminar 3 takes over an hour and then it finally crashes or doesn't open at all. After spending more than half a day importing 40K+ photos then everything not working. Very disappointing. However I believe you are working to the best of your ability and know eventually you'll get it all worked out. Till then...

PS., I don't understand how Trey can still promote this product at its current lack luster state.

Dave Boettcher

6%. Show me the facts. Shut up or put up.
    Alex’s comment 2 days ago, only mentioned MacOS. No mention of windows. No wonder the update didn’t work on windows machine.

Peter Nowlan

6 % ?  This probably doesn't include the number of people like me who have just given up trying to get some use out of Luminar 3. I'm a patient person, but waiting 15 to 20 minutes for a program to load and then another 45 minutes for it to do what it's advertised to do is ridiculous. And you have to do this every time you start up. Then it only let you work on one image before it crashes. I like Luminar 18, but I also remember that it took months, yes months for the Windows version to work almost as promised. I expect it will be the same for Luminar 3. I am now apologizing to my friends for recommending Skylum  software to them.

Peter Nowlan

PS: Doing the reinstall tango doesn't solve anything it just increases your frustration. 

Kert

From my perspective, in Luminar 3 the developing raw's part is working pretty OK, minus few issues like Fuji X10 RAW's getting green which seems like some kind of minor bug in auto develop settings and is presumably fixed in due course soon enough.

Where things break spectacularly is the added asset management module. To the point this additional modules presence makes it apparently somewhat hard to use the rest of the program. I get it it that its an first iteration, was not aware of that a day ago when I downloaded and installed the trial to see if Luminar 3 would, perhaps, work better for me (including asset management) than what I currently have (which is btw ACDSee 2018 Ultimate). Without knowing that I'm downloading an early beta version the first impression of the program was outright horrible. The loooooong startup time, the hanging in there during the initial setup without communicating to me what is going on (sitting 20 min on 0%), etc.

This is far-far worse currently than, for example, the last version of Lightroom standalone was right after the first install while it was cashing and generating its database. That one also grinded practically to standstill if you give it about 100k images to chew and turn on the face detection.

I do not know what is going on under the hood, but my first instinct would be to blame some kind of brute forced image sorting algorithm which does not scale at all as the number of images grows. Which might be a bit hard to fix in a hurry, depending on how deep into the engine its roots are running.

I'm planning to hang around until the end of my trial in about 29 days from today and see if anything improves noticeably, should the 3.1 arrive before my trial runs out, but as things stand currently I really cant justify the buying of Luminar 3. Perhaps if it would be also to interact with ACDSee 2018 as a develop plug-in, but I do not think its high priority, considering ACDSee is just another Lightroom alternative like Luminar 3, so I'm not holding out for that kind of miracle. We'll see, who knows perhaps, if the asset management issues can be reined in somehow in 3.1 so that it does not ruin the experience of using the rest of the prorgam ...

Helena Carter

Hello Kert. Our developers are aware of the performance issues you have described. I am really sorry that you have faced them. Thanks for your understanding and patience. We will address these issues as well as the Fuji X10 RAW one in the update 3.1.0. as you already know, it will be launched at the end of January-beginning of February. If you trial expires before, please, contact our Support Team here support@skylum.com  and send then your HIDE code and they will reset the trial so you can decide before buying.

em van ingen

Is it true that Luminar starts scanning and building the catalogue upon startup? I see activity in my (W10) Pictures folder.
    What about a normal startup and an OPTION to build the catalogue?

Very disappointed after all the launching noise.

Maybe you should suspend the heavy promotion (FB, emails etc) until the problems are solved

em van ingen

I deleted the luminar folder in PICTURES and now it starts.

Jan Max Jessen

i hope some fixes comes soon, i'm both trying to use it and also make a review of it - and it turns out i'm one of the really unlucky 6% i am actually 300% 2 powerful workstations and one high-end laptop (all pc win 10 two i7 one 2700x)

there is just way too many issues, mentioning half of the big issues would make a way too long video, and generally trying to be honest about the software would make a review look like a hatchet job

i really hope some fixes come soon because i really like luminar 2018 - but my patience is running out, so when i say soon i mean in a few weeks not like in 2017 "buy luminar 2018 with cataloging, coming soon" i bought it over 13 months ago and my goodwill is slowly running out - it is nice you boast that all 2018 gets L3, but it rings kinda hollow when you actually promised L3 if you buy 2018.

i do understand it is hard work and a huge under taking - but as many others mentions in a lot of these threads, a bit more honesty and humility - i'm guessing that most has paid for the software - and being a paying beta tester isn't really that rewarding 

but keep up the good work

Dave Raposa

Hi, I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say I am having all the same issues as posted here.  (Does that bring it to 7%?)  I am a Windows 10 user with a high end machine.  I loved 2018 and was so excited to see L3 with a library.  However, I am very disappointed with all the bugs and performance issues that I have to imagine most Windows users are experiencing.  I am hopeful that these show stopping issues are resolved soon.  Otherwise, I need to look elsewhere for my needs.  It is just too difficult to work with in its present state...  

Please sign in to leave a comment.