Upcoming updates

Comments

40 comments

Cameron Fetty

Alex Tsepko  You do realize mine does not get past the splash screen even if I reinstall.  So going to be difficult to click the update button.

Comment actions Permalink
    L S

I just realised there's also a paid update for Aurora. Don't think i'll bother with it given my current experience with Luminar 3.

Cameron Fetty

Progress I finally got mine to install and activate.  It's late so I haven't played with it yet.  Seems there is a new download.

Kert

From my perspective, in Luminar 3 the developing raw's part is working pretty OK, minus few issues like Fuji X10 RAW's getting green which seems like some kind of minor bug in auto develop settings and is presumably fixed in due course soon enough.

Where things break spectacularly is the added asset management module. To the point this additional modules presence makes it apparently somewhat hard to use the rest of the program. I get it it that its an first iteration, was not aware of that a day ago when I downloaded and installed the trial to see if Luminar 3 would, perhaps, work better for me (including asset management) than what I currently have (which is btw ACDSee 2018 Ultimate). Without knowing that I'm downloading an early beta version the first impression of the program was outright horrible. The loooooong startup time, the hanging in there during the initial setup without communicating to me what is going on (sitting 20 min on 0%), etc.

This is far-far worse currently than, for example, the last version of Lightroom standalone was right after the first install while it was cashing and generating its database. That one also grinded practically to standstill if you give it about 100k images to chew and turn on the face detection.

I do not know what is going on under the hood, but my first instinct would be to blame some kind of brute forced image sorting algorithm which does not scale at all as the number of images grows. Which might be a bit hard to fix in a hurry, depending on how deep into the engine its roots are running.

I'm planning to hang around until the end of my trial in about 29 days from today and see if anything improves noticeably, should the 3.1 arrive before my trial runs out, but as things stand currently I really cant justify the buying of Luminar 3. Perhaps if it would be also to interact with ACDSee 2018 as a develop plug-in, but I do not think its high priority, considering ACDSee is just another Lightroom alternative like Luminar 3, so I'm not holding out for that kind of miracle. We'll see, who knows perhaps, if the asset management issues can be reined in somehow in 3.1 so that it does not ruin the experience of using the rest of the prorgam ...

Helena Carter

Hello Kert. Our developers are aware of the performance issues you have described. I am really sorry that you have faced them. Thanks for your understanding and patience. We will address these issues as well as the Fuji X10 RAW one in the update 3.1.0. as you already know, it will be launched at the end of January-beginning of February. If you trial expires before, please, contact our Support Team here support@skylum.com  and send then your HIDE code and they will reset the trial so you can decide before buying.

em van ingen

Is it true that Luminar starts scanning and building the catalogue upon startup? I see activity in my (W10) Pictures folder.
    What about a normal startup and an OPTION to build the catalogue?

Very disappointed after all the launching noise.

Maybe you should suspend the heavy promotion (FB, emails etc) until the problems are solved

em van ingen

I deleted the luminar folder in PICTURES and now it starts.

Jan Max Jessen

i hope some fixes comes soon, i'm both trying to use it and also make a review of it - and it turns out i'm one of the really unlucky 6% i am actually 300% 2 powerful workstations and one high-end laptop (all pc win 10 two i7 one 2700x)

there is just way too many issues, mentioning half of the big issues would make a way too long video, and generally trying to be honest about the software would make a review look like a hatchet job

i really hope some fixes come soon because i really like luminar 2018 - but my patience is running out, so when i say soon i mean in a few weeks not like in 2017 "buy luminar 2018 with cataloging, coming soon" i bought it over 13 months ago and my goodwill is slowly running out - it is nice you boast that all 2018 gets L3, but it rings kinda hollow when you actually promised L3 if you buy 2018.

i do understand it is hard work and a huge under taking - but as many others mentions in a lot of these threads, a bit more honesty and humility - i'm guessing that most has paid for the software - and being a paying beta tester isn't really that rewarding 

but keep up the good work

Helena Carter

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your detailed feedback, we really appreciate it. Our developers are working around the clock to fix these performance issues. Please, accept my apologies for the temporary inconveniences.

Have a great day and thank you for bearing with us while we fix this!

Dave Raposa

Hi, I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say I am having all the same issues as posted here.  (Does that bring it to 7%?)  I am a Windows 10 user with a high end machine.  I loved 2018 and was so excited to see L3 with a library.  However, I am very disappointed with all the bugs and performance issues that I have to imagine most Windows users are experiencing.  I am hopeful that these show stopping issues are resolved soon.  Otherwise, I need to look elsewhere for my needs.  It is just too difficult to work with in its present state...  

Please sign in to leave a comment.