Upcoming updates

Pinned

Comments

39 comments

David Roe

You want folks to keep submitting bugs? 

You want basically everyone who paid for 2018 to get 3 as a beta tester.

What is the pay scale for all this work that should have been done prior to release?

Since it is before Christmas do you offer a Christmas Bonus for all the new temp testers you want?

How about just pulling it off the web, put up we are sorry we were not prime time ready and fix it.

A little humility right now by Skylum just might save you to release again in the future.

Bob Rockefeller

Look, folks, software has bugs. That's simply a fact. And the beta process may, or may not, duplicate enough circumstances and hardware combinations to expose them before release. Of course it should have. And it should have at least caught crashers at initial installation and setup. But it didn't, in this case.

No one, especially the developers, likes buggy software. The measure of a company is not if they release software with bugs, they all do. But rather how they respond to and fix those bugs. 12/31 for crashers seems reasonable and is bound to mess up a lot of programmers' and testers' holidays.

But fixing the bugs is necessary and expected.

Dave Boettcher

I forgive you, Skylum. Have happy Christmas.

Collin Moore

Nice first step, but you and the team have a lot of work to gain back a positive reputation. There needs to be more "I hear you". I look through the MAC and PC forums of people posting impressions and issues without anyone from Skylum replying.

Also from an optics perspective, you need more humility, especially being the first note from the CEO since the release of very turbulent release.

"Hi Everyone! It has been an exciting week here at Skylum with the release of Luminar 3. With all the effort we put into this release, it is clear from your feedback that we missed things. We are working hard to resolve these issues, but we still need your help..."

You can and your team can do better in creating a stable product as well as communicating with your users.

Alex Tsepko

Hey there. Thanks for the feedback. I won’t be getting into technical details on why the software behaves differently on different machines. But I’ll give you an example. Imagine you have a very powerful engine, and you need to put it inside dozens (or rather hundreds) of different cars - from older cars to brand new cars, from those that run on gas to those that are electric powered. How hard will it be? Will you need to make modifications to the engine? Is it possible at all?

We’re doing pretty much the same thing with Luminar, trying to fit it in many different computers, and provide users with the same best experience. Our analytics show that around 6% of current users have issues. And we’re working on fixing those issues.

The next update will come in the end of this month. Then, we plan a performance update in February. And more updates with new features and performance improvements. We will get there, and I’m really thankful to all of you for the feedback.

Happy Holidays.

Uros Erste

wow, only 6%!!! Guess I should go and buy some lottery tickets, I feel very lucky being among 6% of users with unusable software. I would say that "6%" is an understatement... By the looks on the forum I would say it is in deep in double digits...

Bob Rockefeller

"I would say that "6%" is an understatement... By the looks on the forum I would say it is in deep in double digits..."

The number of people with problems on forums far exceeds the number of those without problems in the field. Those with no problems don't post that.

Skylum knows how many copies of Luminar 3 were downloaded and the number of people filing bug reports or posting problems online.

David Roe

Denial is a terrible thing.......  and in my book Skylum is in denial. 

If only 6% are having problems then the launch of this version was a bomb as it would appear very few upgraded or made the purchase.

Instead of just saying we screwed up and we are sorry and fix it they will try to spin it as a minor thing.

One thing it has done for me.....  major doubt they will ever see any more of my cash.  I really can not stand a company who can not admit to a mistake.  They are not that great and version 3 proves it.

This could very well start their slide into a company that didn't do it right.  A shame as Aurora is great but you can not rest on past work forever.

Bjarne Winkler

I have no idea where the 6% is coming from, but it does not count us that did not download the “beta version” to avoid the potential of a nightmare we are reading about in the forum.
    I know lots of Luminar 2018 users that, like I, did not fall into the trap and worse we lost some faith in that for some time the new Luminar 3.X is not going to cut it.  The worse part is that any fixes, updates and new filters to the image processing engine is not going to ripple down to the Luminar 2018.
    PS: I did offer, to Skylum, some months back to do free beta-testing but was turned down since it was not something that Skylum was taking that serious.  Maybe they should!

Neil Harris

I don't believe 6% either. I've installed L3 on three different PCs, one laptop & two desktops, each with completely different combinations of hardware (CPU, MB, graphics cards, etc) and OS (Win7 Pro, Win10 Home), and I'm having exactly the same problems with L3 on all three systems! What's the likelihood of all three of these systems falling into the problematic "6%" group? 

Dave Boettcher

6% of user are having problems.
    If that true, how many forfeit $49 or $59 and deleted the install. Or,
    The user simply is not type of person who complains, or does not want to cause “trouble” by asking for a refund.

I just received an email from Luminar suggestion I Abut L3 as gift for family or friend. LOL

Luis Pinto

The new software culture is the app store style. Publish with bugs and then we'll fix it. I worked for Microsoft in the 90's when the company was criticized with any ridiculous bug. Now it's just a new behavior, a culture.
    Skylum team should enjoy their holidays, but should avoid leading customers that they have a state of the art photo editing software based on demos, videos and betas. You got our attention and our money, now it's time to be professional. If you need to remove Luminar 3 from the market, do it! But face the responsibility.
    We all seem to love the product, but we can't stand to the promise of faulty software being fixed by hard working coders that didn't know how to make it work at first. It's sad to what the engine metaphor by a company member. Any software company that is not able to handle the market context, shouldn't be in the market claiming to be an innovator. Please fix Luminar 3, I still would like to have it. If you can't, just assume it and reimburse your customers, be humble and eventually shutdown. Happy holidays

Collin Moore

I'm really confused and troubled by Alex second statement to the point of just abandoning Skylum.

First does the "i don't want to get into the details", but then uses a terrible and somewhat belittling analogy to explain software development to try to make sense or even excuse the issues in the initial release.

Seriously need to take a step back. Applogize. Define targets. Keep people up to date. Deliver on targets. That simple.

Also we still haven't seen anything that takes ownership of the launch or scaled back features, "We messed up and we will do better" or "We underestimated the severity of some of the issues..."

Jonas Dorn

Hrm, just wanted to look up something about optimizing performance on thumbnail creation with 50k+ pics (windows) and came across this rant...
    Really folks?
    Skylum offered a 50 bucks software, with more than a year (2?) Worth if feature upgrades for a really good software...
    And now this?

A few bugs on new features? Some crashes? Everything in parallel to an old, working software, where the hell is your problem?!

Keep up the good work, most people complaining seem to have never touched a line of code or are used to limited hardware or app store "usability".

Thanks, hope you had a nice Christmas and wish you a happy new year :-)

By the way: apart from low performance on big thumbnail task, everything works fine so far and I didn't have time to look at any settings yet. Also the whole stuff is on a network setup, so first I have to look at some other possible bottlenecks.

jean Vidal

6% de qui ils se moquent? vraiment une escroquerie j'ai perdu un peu d'argent mais la pub que je vais leurs faire leur en feras perdre plus qu'a moi incompetent vous etes

Jonas Dorn

HeY Jean, very nice if you to leave a comment in your native language, unfortunately my French is very bad and Google translates your post into complete rubbish, could Out please comment in English? ( Wich is not my native language either, thanks)

Tobias Stage

Thank u Skylum for your hard work. It is a big thing to build a new Photo Software which are working so nice as yours. All people who thought they will get a new professionell Software without any bugs are stupid and they have no idea how much work it need to build a software like yours.
    The important thing is to see that there are a lot of Experts who try to fix these issues really quick. A big thank u that this will happens between the XMas holidays. So really nice and good job. I’m looking forward to have the best alternative software to Lightroom. Thank and happy new year

Marty France

"6% according to whom?  It's truly crap that I've lost a little money, but the publicity from this is going to cost you a lot more than what I've lost just because of your incompetence."  {My translation of the above--I can it because my name says I can.  ;-))

L S

In many ways I probably would have been better off spending my money with Adobe. It may be a bit slow but at least it has the features I need e.g. Importing photos. All the fancy AI stuff is great....only if I can actually get my photos into this app in some reasonable way.

K.G. Wuensch

@LS Lightroom has improved in performance considerably over the oast year, and it was never even anywhere as slow as Luminar was at it‘s best...

L S

Yes. but like some of the commenters here I am very disappointed that Luminar is turning more and more about the hype. They hyped DAM for almost a year (?) and this is what we get? That's why I'm really disappointed with the tone of the responses from Skylum on this forum. I have no idea how you could this is an acceptable product to release. 

I mean who releases a asset management tool with only 1 of 2 ways to get your assets into the system. Haha. it's like we're talking about half a dozen ways of importing images. 

K.G. Wuensch

@LS I wholeheartedly agree that what they released is inacceptable. And that not only apples to the DAM aspect. I only recently found out that they even totally botched the RAW conversion - not only does it include an automatic noise reduction you can‘t control and which isn‘t governed by static parameters but rather an unpredictable detection of „unacceptable noise“. It also completely illogically treats the RAW conversion as a normal filter you can apply at anything between 0 and 100% - which fir example will destroy any white balance setting you may have made. These conceptually completely ludicrous things make Luminar a toy not fit for purpose of editing or managing images...

L S

@KG Welcome to the brave new world of AI where everything is awesome but you have no idea how it's getting so awesome and no way of reverse engineering it so if the changes aren't what you want you can't do anything about it except start from scratch again and hope for the best.

Marty France

I'm coming from AfterShot Pro (the former Bibble) and the file/library structure and ability to do some simple things makes workflow so fast that I can get a first pass through hundreds of photos in a quarter of the time of Luminar or LR.  I expected DAM to get me at least close to that, but have been very disappointed so far.

Cameron Fetty

Your testing leaves a lot to be desired.  When releasing a "beta" software version it is best to tell people it's a beta and give them the option to install or not to install.

Since today is the 29th of December on a holiday weekend I suspect your bug fixes will not make the promised 12/31 deadline.

Personally, I don't see much of an upgrade on version 3, as it appears to be dumbed down.

Alex Tsepko

Dear Cameron, and All, the new update is being rolled out as we speak.

macOS:
    • Stability improvements. Fixed 20+ crash issues.
    • Fixed issue with folder destination for catalog.
    • Fixed crashing on quit.
    Windows:
    • Stability improvements. 40+ crash issues fixed.
    • Fixed language change issue.
    • Fixed issue with folder destination for catalog.
    • Fixed internet connection issue.
    • Fixed crashes in Lightroom/Photoshop plugins.
    • Export/Share moved to file menu.
    • Fixed issues with duplicated images.
    How to update:
    macOS:
    If you haven’t turned on automatic updates, click on Luminar –> Check For Updates. If you have, you’ll see the available update when you start the app. If for some reason Luminar crashes when you start it, reinstall it with the installer you previously downloaded and the latest version will be downloaded automatically.
    Windows:
    Click on Help –> Check For Updates. Luminar always checks for updates at startup. If for some reason Luminar crashes when you start it, just reinstall it with the installer you previously downloaded. The latest version will be downloaded automatically.

David Weisbach

Well after reading all of these comments I decided to uninstall L3 until you guys get ALL the bugs worked out. I bought into the sales pitch but will wait till you get the program fixed and up to speed as promised. Yes I'm part of the "6%". Luminar 3 takes over an hour and then it finally crashes or doesn't open at all. After spending more than half a day importing 40K+ photos then everything not working. Very disappointing. However I believe you are working to the best of your ability and know eventually you'll get it all worked out. Till then...

PS., I don't understand how Trey can still promote this product at its current lack luster state.

Dave Boettcher

6%. Show me the facts. Shut up or put up.
    Alex’s comment 2 days ago, only mentioned MacOS. No mention of windows. No wonder the update didn’t work on windows machine.

Peter Nowlan

6 % ?  This probably doesn't include the number of people like me who have just given up trying to get some use out of Luminar 3. I'm a patient person, but waiting 15 to 20 minutes for a program to load and then another 45 minutes for it to do what it's advertised to do is ridiculous. And you have to do this every time you start up. Then it only let you work on one image before it crashes. I like Luminar 18, but I also remember that it took months, yes months for the Windows version to work almost as promised. I expect it will be the same for Luminar 3. I am now apologizing to my friends for recommending Skylum  software to them.

Peter Nowlan

PS: Doing the reinstall tango doesn't solve anything it just increases your frustration. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.