Luminar 3 Windows: 'Save' operation missing

Comments

40 comments

Rodney Brown

I agree Geoff Swan.  I'm also concerned that they will go the way of Luminar 2 or Aurora and create a GIANT file that contains the original plus all of the change data.  A side car like ON1 uses would be far more preferable as it's easy to use, back up, restore, move to another system, and doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

Also, if it ever does corrupt, you lose only one set of image edits.

Comment actions Permalink
    Peter Ilott

One more thing about this catalog approach. I presume the catalog is stored in some default location. (Does the user have control over where it is, because I do not want it on my OS drive ???) In any case I do not want all my picture info and edit history in the same location. I have 100's of pictures on different topics and using different experimental approaches, and different years, and .... You get the point ? There cannot be a single catalog that stores all my pix info and edits. And for how many pictures, and how any years,,,, and the very fact that I do not exactly understand what the SW is doing with the info, and that folks need to inquire about it shows that the approach is terrible. Stop taking the human out of the process. Stop this crazy approach to SW. Stop telling the user to do what we are told. Stop treating us like we do not know what we are doing. Sorry but this is very frustrating.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Peter,

Yes, you can choose where your catalog folder is stored. By default it is in your Pictures folder, but during the software setup you can choose another location.

You can also move the catalog folder when Luminar is closed to the location of your choice. Next time you launch Luminar you'll be prompted to either locate a catalog or use the default catalog (which creates a new catalog at the default location).

Pim van den Broek

Hi Angela; I tried this; it now only says 'database opening failed'. I put the folder back in it's place and still get the message 'database opening failed'. I probably have to reinstall with all the older info gone and hours of work missing. Big turnoff...

Please people, put that 'save as' button back as soon as possible...

Helena Carter

Hi Pim,

Try the following steps to get Luminar up and running:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like. Don't remove this folder.
    4. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    5. Type %appdata%\Luminar 3 in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    6. In the folder that opens, locate the file named StateSettings.xml and send it to us.
    7. Next, remove Luminar 3 folder you opened in Step 5. Please note that this will remove your user looks and workspaces, so back up the folder into the safe location before removing it if necessary. You can then put your looks and workspaces back later.
    8. Start Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. While performing the setup, leave the location of the catalog at the default.
    9. When Luminar has loaded, click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar Catalog.catalog file. Your previous catalog should load.

Please note: File > Catalog > Open is for opening catalog files, not photos. If you try to open a photo like this, you will receive a Database Opening Failed error.

How to load photos in Luminar 3: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-8-loading-images 

We’ll add the ability to save project files later but at the moment I don’t have a timeline for that.

Best regards

Alvar Wenzel

In my opinion it was a very bad idea to remove the possiblity to save edits in "lmnr" file format! Because it means one cannot move any edits from one computer to another. One also cannot backup edits to an external disc / memory and so on.

To me, this is an essential feature which was removed without need (e.g. one could have left the "save" option in addition to the Luniar Catalog).  Every other program I used at least gave the possibility to copy / backup sidecar files (which contain the edits) together with the original picture files.

I hope Skylum plans to return the "save" function or introduce sidecar files which can be copied and backed up!

Kate Williams

Hi Alvar,

Thanks for the feedback. 

We’ll add the ability to save project files later but at the moment I don’t have a timeline for that.

A workaround to recall settings you used for a project would be as follows:

1. Open a photo in L3.
    2. Edit it.
    3. In the Edit panel on the right click Save Luminar Look.
    4. Enter a descriptive name.

This won’t save layers but your filter settings will be saved. As a bonus, you’ll be able to instantly apply the settings you used for a certain project to other projects.

If you need to re-edit a photo, load an unedited copy of it in Luminar and apply the look you saved in Step 4 to it (the look will be located in the User Looks category). You'll get the exact same filters and settings that you used for this project before.

At the moment, the same catalog with your edits can be shared between several computers only if it's located on an external drive. Please mind that these computers need to have the same OS. 

You can move your Luminar Library to a new computer which will take all of your edits to the new machine. If your photos are stored on an external hard drive the library should be able to detect that external drive on your new computer and you'll be able to pick up where you left off.

If the images are located on your internal hard drive, you'll need to copy those files to the new computer and then point the folders in your Luminar library to their new location.

Moreover, the app does create automatic backup files. If you ever need to restore from backup on Windows: 

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Navigate to where your catalog is stored.
    3. Locate the Backups folder in the catalog and open it.
    4. In the Backups folder, select a file that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and copy the file somewhere where you can easily access it.
    5. Rename the file you just copied by adding the following after the file name (omit quotes): '.luminar'.
    6. Start Luminar.
    7. Click File > Catalog > Open > point Luminar to the file from Step 5.
    Kevin Harding

Kate,

QUOTE This won’t save layers but your filter settings will be saved. As a bonus, you’ll be able to instantly apply the settings you used for a certain project to other projects. END QUOTE

That isn't any sort of bonus ! If we want to do that then that can be done simply be creating a new preset (why on earth you dispense with conventional terminology and call them 'looks' is beyond comprehension).

In return what we've lost is multiple layers and possibly hours of work with local edits. That's inane. Imagine if an editor calls and asks for certain changes and that file/edits no longer exists per se. because of a change in equipment or location.

You guys really need to sort that out ASAP. No wonder there is a lot of anger/frustration out there.

Gary Bushell

Have to agree with the 'save' comments here - This is a reason I got Luminar instead of LR in the first place. I can save my full edit stack as a .lmnr file and move it between computers and storage devices, knowing I can easily make minor edits any time - Without having to rely on a Catalogue that is linked to an external SSD.

Luminar - The 'save' feature was useful and a bonus. If LR users didn't like it, don't use it, but don't take it away from those that appreciated it. That for me is big mistake.

Finnja Vickus

I agree with the previous comments! I also like to compare different edits and to go back to older versions of images that I have worked on in several steps. This used to be very easy when I was still able to save edits in separate files, the fact that this feature is now missing is quite frustrating. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.