Luminar 3 Windows: 'Save' operation missing

Comments

40 comments

Rodney Brown

I don't believe .lmnr files are used anymore.  Changes are stored individually in the catalog - each slider movement creates a new file that records the change.

You can just exit Luminar or move to another image and all of your changes are saved.

Comment actions Permalink
    Geoff Swan

What happens to it when the image is not in the catalog?

This is just en edit of an image I do not want in the catalog but want to keep the luminar process stack so I can come back to it.

Geoff Swan

I went back to the catalog screen and all I get is black images now for any catalog or album.

Peter Holka

Yeah, but u can be happy that your Luminar started 🙂

Gary Bowen

You Export your image from Menu Bar > Image > Export...

The .lmnr file looks be be automatically created and saved in (for my setup) the same folder as the source image.

Richard Harrington

Edits are saved in the catalog.

Luminar 3 can read .lmnr files, but it does not currently create them.

Thomas Mahnken

...Just like LR, right? So for a lot of people - at least for me - this is how I like it to be (for ease of use).
    Well done!

Robert Mayer

Throwing away "Save" and "Save as" (Windows standard behavior) will not endear you to the community users. You've taken away a level of control by not allowing your user to discriminate what gets saved in their storage devices.

benjamin Ogletree

I have edited a file and now see that it is saved in the catalog.  However, I can't open that file to process any further edits.  The picture opens (appears pixelated) but the previous edits do not appear in the sidebar.  Am I not supposed to be able to do further edits if I desire?  

Richard Harrington

Hi Robert, less than 1% of users were using the native luminar project file format The decision was made to automatically capture edits in the catalog and Stead allowing people to avoid loss of data from crashing or forgetting to save. If you’d like to see the other functionality restored, please file a future request. Then it can be considered by the team. Thank you for the feedback

Thomas Mahnken

@Richard: I agree. The same behaviour Lightroom has, and for a reason. I´m sure I ain´t the only user coming from lightroom and seeing this as a huge improvement. So ask yourself what benefit it would be having to manage every single picture when editing hundreds of them?

Robert Mayer

Thanks Richard, I'm obviously not your targeted user. Applying the same edits to multiple pictures is not why I paid money for the tool. My fault for misinterpreting the value of your soft ware.

Richard Harrington

Robert. Your edits are saved. And you can save all sorts of file formats with edits applied. What functionality is it that you are missing?

you can open individual files up in quick edits with File > Open. 

No no need to apply edits to multiple images. 

Robert Mayer

Richard,
    It's simple, I'm used to being able to control what gets saved to my storage device and the format it gets saved. This typically gets done via the typical save commands. Sounds like I'm not missing any functionality, just an unorthodox method of saving data that I don't know how to control yet. What I really regret is the 30 minutes I spent last night trying to figure out before giving up. So, can you send me a link that explains how data is saved, where, and how to specify a format?
    Thank you.

Peter Holka

Robert, it is pretty simple. All your adjustments are stored in catalog as metadata automatically whenever you make any adjustments. You can choose format and folder where to store image during export.

Geoff Swan

Seems to have attracted some interest.

Anyhow, back to the original observations.

I don't use any Adobe products. They are blacklisted here.

Sometimes I need to open and edit an image that is not in a catalog, nor do I require it to be (may have come from a third party). I see that it now appears in "Quick Edits", which is useful, and contains the edit stack so I can go back and readjust. This effectively replaces the lmnr file. Thanks for clearing this up.

The second problem is that now all I see are black images (since the quick edit) in the catalog. For all folders and albums. This is a bug. Previously restarting L3 cleared this problem for a while, however now it is persistent so I cannot see any images in any part of the catalog. Not really much use any more.

Peter Holka

Geoff, you are lucky when you can see even black images. I'm not able to start Luminar 2 days now. It does not want to start after I import some images into the catalog. A piece of crap. It is a shame cause it WAS a very good product and after all this happen.....

Geoff Swan

Additional:

"File->Catalog->Show in Explorer" does nothing. Maybe a feature yet to be added.

Geoff Swan

FYI, the catalog appears to consist of an SQLite database (metadata) and thumbnail preview cache.

Rodney Brown

SQLite, plus a new 50k file for EVERY slider adjustment you make to an image!!

David Isaac

This looks mostly like a change management issue. A big change to the mode of operation should be accompanied with support documentation on how to deal with the change. Just dropping Save from the menu is jarring.

So, I gather that Luminar 3 replaces separate project files with a unified catalog that records all adjustments to all files in the catalog. Adjustments to files not in the catalog are stored under Quick Edits. You must move or rename catalogued files using Luminar, not Windows Explorer, to keep the association between the original file and the adjustments. If this is correct, please add it to the user guide. Thanks.

Rodney Brown

Having used ON1 for a while, I have gotten used to not having a "save" function, just move onto the next image and come back at any time to continue editing.  When I do want the finished image in a file (say for Instagram or printing), I export the image to a jpeg/tiff.

Pavel Grulich

If Luminar 3 doesn't save to a separate .lmnr file, is it possible to start editing on one computer, and then transfer the file with the edits to another computer? With Luminar 2018 I just have to transfer the file and the image I am editing.

Antonio Galanti

I'm sorry but I can't say I appreciated this move.

I use Luminar on my laptop, which I use as a temporary photo editing environment before moving the originals along with the edited files AND lmnr projects to different NASes.

If I'm not able to save a project file and my laptop fails I'm screwed, I don't have any copy of what's in the database. Besides databases are not meant to be stored on a cloud drive if they're not cloud-based, so there's no actual redundancy policy applyable to this model. Besides I can't save a single photo project in case I want to later edit that single image (because months after deleting it from the database someone tells me I have to slightly edit it) so I have to either keep all my images on my laptop "just in case" or I lose the chance to continue where I had left off.

I don't like to bring up other software's features but since someone did and, in my opinion, didn't tell the whole story I'm forced to point out that Lightroom behaves a little different from catalog-only: yes, it uses a catalog to store previews, advanced previews and edits; yes, it's true that you can't export a single file containing the original photo along with the editing history and/or the current editing settings; BUT you DO have the chance to export the original plus an xmp file which contains what I did on that file.

I know new software aims to simplify (in order to get more users as well) but we should never give up control for that, that's not what professionals do.

I'd like to have back the chance to save single .lmnr files.

Thanks

Antonio

Geoff Swan

Well done to Skylum on getting a luminar3 update out so soon.

However the black photo problem still persists, which makes L3 impossible to use unfortunately (can't edit what I can't see).

It seems to appear as soon as I show any image that has been edited (has the little set of sliders on it). Once that appears (and is black) all other images come up black in any folder or selection until the software is closed and restarted.

Geoff Swan

Seems to show the black images all the time now.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Geoff,

If you haven't already, please contact us at www.skylum.com/support regarding the black grid where your images should be and we'll look into it.

Peter Ilott

OK, so still learning this Luminar 3 SW, and I am finding that it is family with a lot of other modern design SW. What do I mean by that ? It is going down the path of taking control away from the user, and making "assumptions" about what the user wants to do. I'm sorry but that is stupid idiotic nonsense. Why not just start with a blank screen and hope the user can figure out what to do. So for this particular topic.... WHAT I cannot save a project in a file dedicated to my picture ? Are you folks insane ? Hiding everything in some kind of a catalog database somewhere on my computer !! That is the type of nonsense I expect from Apple or MS windoz these days. Not being able to control what I save and where is absolutely stupid. Who came up with that idea ? Oh yeah,,, modern SW design. Please put basic user control functionality back in ASAP or I may have to write off my purchase cost of Luminar # and just go back to GIMP. (Which is pretty darn good BTW). I was hoping for a more advanced editing capability, not a "modern" SW experience.

Geoff Swan

I believe it is in the Luminar development roadmap, for a future release.

The problem with the current 'catalog based' way of saving the edits is that when the catalog is corrupted you lose all the edits for all your files. This has happened many time to me so far, due to a bug in the way it handles images after editing (see the black picture problem, which still persists with the current upgrade).

It is very important to be able to save an image edit stack into a separate file. It is too easy to corrupt the catalog.

Please sign in to leave a comment.