Hot pixels are removed by Lightroom but not Luminar?

Comments

4 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Stine,

Here is some info on working with hot and cold pixels in Luminar 3:

• Cold Pixels. To enable or disable the display mode of absolutely black pixels, click the triangle on the left and the histogram is clipped on the left side. Absolutely black pixels will be displayed in bright blue in the image.  Cold pixels (in blue) indicate areas where black has achieved maximum concentration (a zero value).
    • Hot Pixels.  Clicking the triangle on the upper right will show where your image is completely white, where the histogram is clipped on the right side. Absolutely white pixels are displayed in red.

In both cases, this can be problematic (especially for printing) as there is too much ink coverage for cold pixels and no details at all in the hot pixels.  These indicators are a sign that you should adjust the exposure of the image. You may want to leave the Histogram panel open as you work because it is an easy way to learn to read the graphical details of a digital image.

NOTE

The use of the Develop and RAW Develop filters are an excellent way to take control of the Black and White points as well as the Shadows and Highlights of an image.  Pressing the J key will also toggle the clipping indicators On and Off if you want to see the pixels underneath.

Comment actions Permalink
    Stine Fosgrau

Hi Angela.

Thank you for replying. And Happy New Year.

I don't know if you read my original post completely or understood what I was talking about. My issue here is not to visualize the pixels. They are very much evident as you can see in the attached screenshot. The issue here is, how do I remove them? As I wrote in my original post, Lightroom removes these pixels by default. I don't have to do anything. Luminar does not. So I guess my question boils down to this: Is there any way to remove these pixels other than using the denoise filter (which, again, does remove most of the pixels but ruins the picture by making it way too soft)? I will not go through a tedious task of removing each and every pixel by the erase tool. That would take way too long.

Since I do a lot of low light photography, adjusting the exposure is not really an option if you want a picture you can work with. This particular picture was taken at a pitch black night with a 30 second exposure using a fast prime lens. Not much I can do exposure wise.

I know very well about the (RAW/) Develop filter. That is the first filter I use to control the lighting. That has no effect on these hot pixels.

So, in short: Lightroom is removing hot pixels by default. Luminar is not. I was curious whether I was doing something wrong or missing something, but I'm guessing I'm not?

Niranjan Acharya

Hi Angela

Your response might be apt for a completely different question related to histogram, highlights and dark areas. Hot pixels are those white dots/spots you see in high iso or long exposure.

Even I’d like to know how to remove these dots as I’ve started with long exposure and have been struggling with it. I don’t own Lightroom or photoshop and have to resort to Luminar. Please suggest or add feature

Angela Andrieux

Hi Stine,

Sorry I didn't fully address what you're asking. At this time there is no way to automatically correct hot pixels in Luminar. Our developers are working on adding this functionality but I don't have an ETA for the release at this time.

Please sign in to leave a comment.