Luminar 3 Update From Support Team 1

Comments

55 comments

Hans Wahlgren

What about the inability to manage large photo volumes? 

Neil Harris

One critical issue in the Windows version that is not mentioned in the list is the inability to re-edit RAW files that were previously edited in Luminar 3, i.e. the unresponsive, grayed-out editing sidebar when attempting to re-edit.

Perhaps this is included in the "Stability and performance issues" update (3.1.0) scheduled for Jan/Feb? If so, it's rather disappointing to have to wait for a month to get basic usability.

Warren Gale

I think all management and non Mac devs should be forced to use Windows PCs as their daily machine at work, if this was the case, L3 for Windows I feel would not have been released.

I have used L3 on both my windows pc and MacBook and although the are issues on the Mac version, they are nothing compared to the PC version.

Edit - spelling.

Guy Meacham

Please add the following two items to 3.1 they are basic essentials to a DAM available to Mac users but not to Windows users.

1) The ability to see complete filenames when you highlight an image in the library, Jim Nix has already shown how this is available on a Mac but not in Windows its such a basic necessity how was it not added into 3.0? 

2) The ability to remove folders empty or full from the catalog, this is another basic DAM requirement that can not be done in Windows. If you go in the back door and do it from file manager you are then stuck with greyed out folders that you sill can't remove.

Markus Ottiger

There is one point missing on your list:

I always have internet connection, but ......

Install OK, starting OK, loading libraries OK.

Closing down and restarting ... image file data appears, histogram appears, all features appear, BUT NO IMAGE(S)

This happens also with only a few images in the lib (less than 100)

Yohai Mor

I I want to get refund from you, I buy the Luminar 3 software 2 days ago and I’m sorry but I’m so disappointed, I can’t work with this, how can you refund me? I payed via pay pal.

Jerre Thompson

Very disappointed! I ended up removing all photos in the library and tried to reload a small folder of 12 pics and I can't fully view all of the thumbnails even in this small folder without having to close L3 out and reopening. I only have these 12 pics in my library. Is there anyway to ditch the library and just load one pic at a time so I can at least try to edit it? My computer more than meets the specs to run this program.

Frank Ferriolo

I am a Windows user. I agree there is a problem when trying to re-edit RAW files. Luminar 3 will not allow a re-edit. This is a problem that must be fixed ASAP. Waiting till FEB for this is not acceptable. Also, the filmstrip order does not stay in sequence after the edit of a file. I have to search up and down the film strip to find the file I just edited.

Duc Vu Anh

Hi Alina,

How about the edited file locked up. Mine are useless now as I cannot go back to my edited image to make any changes??

David Isaac

Re: photo import.  

Please keep in mind that photo "import" functions are just sugar coating over native Windows file move/copy functions.  Open your SD card through Windows Explorer, find you photo folder (typically in a folder named DCIM for digital camera images), and drag the folder or individual images to one of your cataloged folders.  I understand this may be less than ideal for some people, but really it's not a big deal and personally I like having total control over the import process and folder naming this way.  

Collin Moore

"Please keep in mind that photo "import" functions are just sugar coating over native Windows file move/copy functions."

Sorry, I don't want to make folders. I want the app to build the folder structure (typically YYYY/MM/DD format) and then use keyword tagging to build virtual folders for selects.

User organization ends up having errors, either copying to the wrong place, drive, subfolder. I want to plug in my camera, click import, and then have the program do the heavy lifting.

Additionally, total control would be something similar to Lightroom of allowing selection prior to importing, additionally to do file renaming and metadata batch upon import.

The lack of this feature on the PC version is just flat out insane. The fact that it is on the MAC version and not the PC version is even more of a slap in the face to PC users.

Raimund Harndt

Ja, leider! Ich hab's über Nacht laufen lassen. Aber mit dem Katalog kommen dann die Probleme. Lieber gleich drauf verzichten.

Dave Boettcher

I did not notice my problem listed above. I noted a fix on the way. When?

I use Windows 10 Home, Build 17134.472. 64 bit, Intel core i5-4200@1.60Hz 2.3GHz processor and 8GB of RAM.

Luminar 3 initially, after reinstalling the sofware and restarting my laptop, I was able to use Luminar 3.

After using the software 3 or 4 times, the initial Luminar 3 window came up, as if loading. Then a second window popped up saying, "Database initialization failed."

Next, I used Task Manager and determined LU3 was not listed as an active app. But, it was listed as running in the backgroud.

Marko Berg

refund me please !!!!

luminar 3 is unusable under windows 10

bought on 14.12.2018 and paid by paypal.
    please contact me to clarify the further procedure.

Collin Moore

When is "Import" being added to the PC version...

Guy Meacham

That's actually a good point, I wonder if any of the support people in this forum even use a windows machine.

Guy Meacham
    Steve KrugerGuy Meacham .. that filename feature that Jim Nix showed on the Mac didn't actually come through in the final release. In the notes he says that the video was prepared using a beta or pre-release version of Luminar 3.

So that feature is essential for both Windows AND Mac

Hey Steve I didn't catch that but I watched Jim's 10 tips video and in that he lists this as one of his 10 tips, doesn't say anything in the video about it not being available to us common folk.

To me this makes it worse, they are giving folks like Jim versions that are not even available with more features to make movies about! I mean how is than not fraud if somebody buys based on what they see in a Jim Nix video?

Andrew Amster

I've reinstalled Luminar 2018 and I'll be using that until you get this sorted out. Your DAM is getting in my way now.

Fitz Michael

They gave us the DAM with all the errors and will charge us on the next update.  

Roberto Picó Pastor

Un problema en Windows es la incapacidad de volver a editar los archivos raw de nikon Nef que se editaron en Luminar 3, no se pueden volver a editar, la barra lateral de edición no vuelve se queda en gris y no se puede volver a editar por mucho tiempo que espere. Eso para mi es muy importante y me obliga a utilizar luminar 2018, asta que se solucione el problema. 😥
    (A problem in Windows is the inability to re-edit the Nef nikon raw files that were edited in Luminar 3, they can not be edited again, the editing sidebar does not return, it remains gray and can not be edited again. Long time to wait. That for me is very important and forces me to use 2018 luminar, until the problem is solved.)

Richard Boyle

Why does Luminar need an internet connection? What data/information are you sending? It is polite at the very least to ask permission to do this.

Jaak Ennuste

I had very loooooong startup time. Many minutes. It cured when I made new library and started from scratch. I think I had too many photos in my old library and new ver. 3 does not handle it well.

Hans Graf

Hi Alina, you did not mentioned, Windows10, LU3 dues not run offline and how you will solve this issue ???. Several Windows user have this problem and there is'nt anywhere a information about this issue, it would be a help for many others.
    Since I run LU3 on Windows10 Online, allmost not problems. Otherise LU3 useless !!!!!
    I hope you will respond ???? !!!!!

Alina Skylum

Hi Hans, are you referring to the issue below?

• Photo previews are not displaying when there is no Internet connection on Win. Will be fixed in 3.0.1.
    Hans Graf

Yes I did !

Marko Berg

what's up alina, there is no answer. the windows installer from your post does not work.

Marko Berg

hello luminar service
    I bought luminar 2018 from you on the website to update to luminar 3. So far so good, date of purchase 14,12,2018 have received no order confirmation or invoice until today, no go number 1. the update to version 3 I had to download as a trial then you have to copy out the reg code from luminar 2018 to the version 3 to register (free update is different, actually is already the second no go).
    so and now the program does not work properly under windows 10, that would be no go number 3. all that I have informed the luminar service. I have uploaded a video on youtube to document the non-function of the program. For my part I have no desire for luminar, I would like to get my money back.

Scott Baker

Alina:

The problems I had with Luminar 3 in Win10 seem to be resolved by using the above mentioned new installer.

Thank you

I spoke too soon. It loaded and worked as a "primary" apps.

Once I close out and relaunched, Luminar 3 showed as trying to open (which it didn't) as a background app once again.

If it opens as "primary" app and works the first time, but not after closing and reopening, then what??????

I will uninstall and wait for a fix

Roy Blackwell

@Dave Boettcher: "Database Initialization Failed on Win. This is a known issue that occurs due to bad EXIF data in the photos that are being imported into Luminar. Will be fixed in 3.0.1" (by the end of December).

Steve Shaff

I finally was able to get Luminar 3 to run on my ASUS Laptop Windows 10 by setting it as an exception on Defender.  However, my "homemade" machine also had Malwarebytes and I've been unable to get past the opening screen, even if I've excepted Luminar in both Malwarebytes (I uninstalled MWBytes, but it didn't help) and Defender.  Very frustrating.  The MAC version works well.  Hope this fix actually fixes something.

Please sign in to leave a comment.