Slow start up speed of Luminar 3

Comments

14 comments

Hans Wahlgren

I belive L 3 can't handle volume. Look at my post just published.

Comment actions Permalink
    Rod Latham

Because my Luminar 3 was so slow to open I measured it against Lightroom Classic CC.

Luminar: 1 minute 20 secs // Lightroom: 15 seconds // Same database of images 67,418 (60% RAW 25% JPG the balance PSD/TIFF).

Compared to Paul - my 'so slow' is not too bad...!

Chris Hammond

I had the same problem, but I tossed 100k of mostly RAW photos at it, took it hours to look at them. And then crashed/Hung on start up. I finally just removed all pics from the library and just pointed it at a set of 2000 pictures and it worked much better. 

Paul Kwan

I have tested other imaging softwares. Results are: Lightroom 15 secs, On1 Photo Raw 2019 15 secs and DxO PhotoLab 2 25 secs. So I think Luminar 3 is way too slow. Skylum needs to address this problem ASAP. No response from Skylum yet.

S. K.

I'm currently in test phase for Luminar 3 - it's so incredible slow...

Start already requires more than 1minute.

Navigating through images or open one to edit it takes some seconds as well. Nothing nice to work with.

Maryna Skylum

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues in a few days.

JDH

Even with the latest update it takes over 10 min to start.  This is totally unusable.  I'll give it one more update and then it will be deleted from my computer as the waste of space that it is currently.  

Erwin Kargl

@JDH maybe this helps?
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041593671-Dirty-FIX-for-Luminar-3-not-starting

the longer Luminar creates Thumbnails, the longer it needs for the next start and on some point (don´t know when) it has too much thumbnails and the next start is impossible and it starts not at all

Paul Kwan

With Luminar 3.0.2, the startup performance has improved. It now starts between 20 to 25 seconds, a lot better than before at more than 6 minutes. However, the export takes very long to finish. I clocked it at more than 3 minutes. I might do a complete re-install to see how it performs when it needs to read all my photos at once.

Erwin Kargl

Hi Paul, no need for reinstall for testing this, just create a new catalog.

Paul Kwan

OK Erwin, thanks for the tip. I will do that.

JDH

Renamed Previewcache.  Luminar created new Preview cache as expected on first restart 15min or so, but subsequent start taking 30min if it is going to start at all......

Erwin Kargl

Hi JDH, I don't let it create the whole library, I only point it to the folder I want to use. When luminar 3 is in "All photos" it creates to many thumbnails... maybe you can try this out.
    Erwin

Please sign in to leave a comment.