Are Edits From Luminar 2018 Visible to Luminar 3?

Comments

16 comments

Alina Skylum

You can see your Luminar 2018 edits in Luminar 3 if you save them in .lmnr format in Luminar 2018 and open in Luminar 3 after that. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Scott Hampton

I can't get it to work. Luminar sees the RAF (Fuji RAW) but not the .lmnr file.

Alina Skylum

And what about this photo? http://prntscr.com/ly0ibm

Scott Hampton

That's a rendered out JPG used on my website.

L

No! It won´t work! 3 days ago I already started a thread.

Scott Hampton

Hi Lutz.

Thanks for the information. What's the permalink?

Scott

L

Hi Scott

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360034180652-no-layers-when-opening-Luminar-2018-lmnr-files-in-Luminar-3

some lmnr are running all filters from L2018 and falling then back to default, other lmnr won´t open at all

Lutz

Scott Hampton

Thank you!

I'm going to stick with L18 for now until the kinks are worked out. 

Kind regards,
    Scott

Richard Harrington

Add a folder that has Luminar 2018 files in it.

Make sure when you save them, that the Windows compatible box was checked.

Allan Hise

“Make sure when you save them, that the Windows compatible box was checked.”

So for the last year, wile using Luminar 2018, we needed to save things that way in order for Luminar 3 on a Mac to properly make open them? That makes no sense. 

Richard Harrington

The check box is just a shortcut to make sure that the original assets were saved with the file. You can also just check the other boxes which I’m sure that the raw file and any textures or layers are embedded inside the document. Windows compatible is just the option on the Mac to ensure that the files have all the resources tab inside the file

Anders Svensson

That still makes no sense. If the checkbox says "Windows compatibility" then my best guess is that it's something that's needed to be able to open lmnr files on Windows. This is the Mac forum, so I'd also guess that most of us are trying to open lmnr files on macOS.

I haven't been able to open a single lmnr file with File > Open Image for Quick Edit: there's a progress bar that disappears almost immediately, and no image is opened. Ditto with the same function on the toolbar. Adding a folder may be another way (that I'm not interested in since I have no interest in Luminar as a browser), but the Open for Quick Edits functionality simply doesn't work on lmnr files. (Or some lmnr files, but it looks to be all in my case.)

Scott Hampton

Very interesting results… I saved an old Canon 20D file as Luminar, Windows-compatible, and Luminar 3 saw the edits. I made edits to the file and re-opened in Luminar 2018. It didn't see the results (I'm guessing there is no backwards compatibility…).

Tried a different file, same 20D, but saved it as a Luminar file with original resources included, not Windows-compatible. Luminar 3 saw the edits. Good. 2018 doesn't see the edits I made in 3, as expected.

Tried it again with my Fuji files and the same results. So, for me, running the demo, on a Mac, I do not need Windows-compatible. I need to include the original resources in the lmnr file.

Fortunately for me I have a remarkably tiny photo library with 74 photos. Literally. It's not impossible for me to manage the L18 and L3 reserving as .lmnr with resources, but I can't say I understand how those with tens of thousands of images will feel. Not certain if I'll keep working in L18 until the kinks are worked out, or soldier on with L3, or go back to Alien Skin Exposure…or stick with Apple Photos and use Luminar as a plug-in. 

Luminar has such potential, I really want this to succeed.

Anders Svensson

@Scott, yes, "Save original resources" makes a difference. All of my existing .lmnr are saved without this (in which case Contents/Info.plist references in the .lmnr references the original by absolute path), but I also experimented with saving with original resources and then Luminar 3 opens the image. There are still problems though: the image is displayed, but it's not sharp and the filter panel isn't populated. Looks like the same behaviour seen in this case:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360035149232-Lmnr-files-in-Luminar3-and-and-and

Angela Andrieux

If your project has history and resources and still doesn't open (or doesn't display properly), please send it to us via the form at the bottom of this page: http://skylum.com/support

You can send the file(s) via http://wetransfer.com/

Anders Svensson

With resources isn't how I save my .lmnr so you'll have to harvest that example from someone else: I just tried it as a one-off with the same (bad) results that others have reported. I've sent an example without resources in another thread.

Please sign in to leave a comment.