Upcoming Luminar updates

Comments

72 comments

Colin Grant

Andy, I have the latest version of PhotoLab and whilst the software does have a heavy learning curve it is very powerful. Photo Lab now has a selective editing capability via a couple of brushes, a gradient and the control point tech. Those control points are so powerful. They are working on the dam now - some want it others would prefer to see the dam kept separate, as would I really. Nevertheless they are on to it and are at present incorporating searches into the existing image browser. They are working hard at not impacting performance, which is pretty good. Nik works well with the software as does Luminar and many others.

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

I don't edit jpegs, Mike, so cannot comment. In ON1 the lagging is associated with masking brushes, especially the perfect brush, has certainly been on raw and probably tiff. Have not noticed any brush lag in L3 so far.

Tim Gillespie

I do edit jpgs but never for fine art and almost always at 72 dpi.. Web and email stuff. Quick, light and fast!

I wonder if the amount of images processed and catalogued has any effect on perspective regarding this software. I think the greater the number of images to process and remember, can greatly affect how you feel.

I also wonder about how people feel about On1 and the interface. In years past I grew up on Windows and OS/2 before coming to my senses. The directory structure and the programs that managed it (like Xtree) were the first organizational tool I used and liked. ON1 seems to use those same metaphors and I am already comfortable with them. So I like them. I wonder if that affects how people feel? Now that I have spent some time in On1, I do see some shortcomings. But everything is still very workable. At least for now. I will say this. The whole field of DAMs are getting more interesting and the consumer is getting more choices right now. It will only get better.

A question I have is; how much time do you spend on a developer vs a library management system?

Once developed and usually not printed, file management becomes of prime importance (usually). For me! Any image that is judged to be good enough to print will get reworked anyway beforehand. And a new jpg will be generated. One only for printing.

I am also wondering why they just did not develop a stand alone library / DAM product and leave their developer in 2018 intact. I don't use it much, but it seems stable. I do like it. That way they could develop the library product in peace and continue to offer the stable developer. Maybe after that they could marry the two programs. The biggest problem I have with the developer is; if you have to develop 1,500 images every so often, the work flow is cumbersome. At least for me.

This is the slow season. Living in Colorado, ski season is about to give way to mud season. Followed by full on fun season. Soon the images will be flying, everyone will be laughing, whitewater trips will be starting and there will be very little time for worrying about image location. I feel like I am almost ready. Permit season just closed. They are issued in two weeks. Then we plan. Then we shoot. Year after year. This stuff is important. I don't want to lose any of it. All the time, clients are calling and want something, usually now.

Note to K.G. Wuensch. I do use Photo Mechanic. When they went to V5, I decided not to purchase the upgrade. I was never a fan of V4 and the reason I bought it (being able to copy files to two places at once) turned out not to be such a big deal. Maybe I should look again.

Colin Grant

Mike, you make some interesting points. I have always used Lr and do use keywords and Geo-tagging. But playing with the rather lack-lustre Library made me realise that I could live with just a heirarchical folder structure. My test images are in year folders and within that folder they are broken down into events and often those events are further broken down into what I guess Apple Photos would call Moments. I could live with that to be honest and on that basis the Luminar Library as is would work for me. It is just that by using keywords I can do away with some of the folders by using search to get me where I want to be. However the folder structure does give an easy visual reference and that is helpful. Still search will always be a prerequisite and I would not want to live without keywords. Geo is nice and I love it but I could work around that by using keywords.

I use DxO a lot (more and more) and I run my DAM via NeoFinder. Once the images  are imported, culled, filed and tagged I tend to forget about the DAM and just use the image browser in DxO. I could do the same in Luminar I guess. That kinda supports Tim's view that a separate DAM would have been better for Luminar's development. Mind you I never needed converting re that view - it just seems a sensible approach.

Andy H

The 3.0.2 update has dropped here in Canada.................and..............drum roll....................it looks like it's made ZERO difference for me.  Crashed twice during install, eventually got past that. Still takes an age to load (well over 2 minutes) - even after trying 3 - 4 times.  When it does load it's still slow as molasses. What a complete and utter joke. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks - I hope it works for some of you.

Dan Parsons

I pretty much assumed 3.0.2 would be a dud, but I have to admit I'm surprised they managed to ship a crashing installer again. Kind of blown away, to be honest.

Andy H

Further reinforces my view that Skylum don't have the competency to give us a viable product any longer. Shame, I really wanted them to succeed. As of typing this, I've tried to load Luminar 3 again, and so far, after 7 minutes I can't see a single photograph and the "Updating Image Gallery" is stuck at 0% :(

Dan Parsons

Andy, I agree with you about their lost competency and strongly suggest you get a refund because we have no reason to believe it's going to ever get better.

Andy H

I paid for Luminar 2018 and got decent use out of that. Didn't pay for the Luminar 3 update thankfully. Won't be asking for a refund, but most importantly won't give them another cent when they eventually decide to charge again. Finally got my photos up on screen - after a total of 15 minutes.  Closed Luminar and re-opened hoping things would be better.  So far nothing after about 3 minutes.  I give up.

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

On behalf of our Team, I'm really sorry about your experience with the update. We will do our best to help you troubleshoot these problems and report to our technical department if needed. Please, contact our Support Team here: https://skylum.com/support

They will be in touch as soon as possible.

Best regards

Andy H

Helena, thanks. I've given my details to the Support Team, so we'll see what happens. Although I'm sorry to say I have zero confidence that it will be resolved based on my experiences so far. I'd just like to get some transparency from Skylum as to what the problems really are and when you will actually fix them.  We keep getting empty promises that you will fix things and then update after update rolls out with no improvement. Perhaps Alex should jump back in this thread and give us the real reasons and not some condescending car analogy again.

K.G. Wuensch

@Andy: That car from the car analogy lies at the bottom of the ravine the Skylum designed and built bridge called Luminar was supposed to span...

Please sign in to leave a comment.