Upcoming Luminar updates

Comments

72 comments

Jan Willem de Visser

No excuse?

Margarita Ney

It is clear, that whatever Beta testing you guys did, Alex, wasn't thorough enough.  This release is a failure for many and history is repeating itself.  I have re-joined Adobe's Photography Plan as I have zero trust in Skylum now and will never trust your company again. 

Alex Tsepko

Hey there. Thanks for the feedback. I won’t be getting into technical details on why the software behaves differently on different machines. But I’ll give you an example. Imagine you have a very powerful engine, and you need to put it inside dozens (or rather hundreds) of different cars - from older cars to brand new cars, from those that run on gas to those that are electric powered. How hard will it be? Will you need to make modifications to the engine? Is it possible at all?

We’re doing pretty much the same thing with Luminar, trying to fit it in many different computers, and provide users with the same best experience. Our analytics show that around 6% of current users have issues. And we’re working on fixing those issues.

The next update will come in the end of this month. Then, we plan a performance update in February. And more updates with new features and performance improvements. We will get there, and I’m really thankful to all of you for the feedback.

Happy Holidays.

Robert Gorski

Alex, I am pretty sure that in your example with cars, no serious engine/car manufacturer would ever risk selling them with such a percentage of faults and telling their customers that it is a normal thing to do. 

I am highly disappointed with this release of Luminar 3, especially after such a long wait...

Saying all that, I can still see great potential in L3 and will be waiting for the upcoming updates with hope of smoothing/fixing the whole experience as soon as it is possible especially on Windows platform.

It is just so pity that trust in your company has been shaken to such a degree... at least on my part.

Wish you all at Skylum Happy Holidays.

K.G. Wuensch

@Mr. Tsepko, everytime someone gives a car analogy i cringe, it reeks of incompetence and invariably the analogy is wrong. I am a software developer myself and have created large applications myself which are still in use 15 or 20 years after initial creation. Never in this time I heard a single customer utter the „I don‘t mind it‘s not working you have a great codebase nevertheless“, they all expected that it runs as documented - and it does.

Yes, there will be unforseen environments in which bugs show up that need fixing but the concepts should be rock solid and stability should trump speed or gimmicks every day. When testing shows up faults that potentially could impact just one customer we consider the impact this has (because in our software livelihoods and potentially lives depend on our software working as intended) and we will halt distribution if feedback points to a critical oversight. And of the latter there are so many that it boggles the mind that you are still distributing this mess...

Worse still, conceptually you have created a chimera that doesn‘t work for photographers that do more than a snapshot or two a day! Don‘t you know a single wirking professional with an interest in UI design? Obviously not, else such a horrible, ill conceived wannabe Lightroom CC (not Clasdic CC hut the equally useless Lightroom CC for desktop) ripoff wouldn‘t have been created.

Tim Gillespie

I agree with Robert, although I am definitely sticking around. I noticed that Skylum is advertising this software to the general public. Knowing full well that at least 6% of the people will not be able to use it. By their own words.

I suspect that number to be much higher.

You guys can still make it up and most people have short memories. Not to mention that there will be a whole new wave of consumers that are unaware of how this came down.

Trust? Broken!

State of Software? Vaporware.

Future? Maybe quite bright, but this software needs a whole lot more features for me to let it loose on 250,000 images.

I am a glutton for punishment. I can't wait to see if the 12-31 update allows me to play with it. I want to like this.

Jub De

The analogy of cars compared to Luminar 3 condition is totally absurd.

How can a previous program (Luminar 2018) running smoothly and once updated to Luminar 3 becomes unusable? Same hardware but with a modified program program this time..

Why can we not admit that the program was in the first place buggy.

Jacques Demers

Like someone said there is no excuses. You are not the only company out there developing products on both Mac and Windows platforms. On my Windows machine I have Capture One Pro v12, Affinity Photo and ON1 Photo Raw 2019 and they all run without any problems and with all the same features. I also have Aurora 2019 which I use sparingly and works fine besides missing some features that the Mac version has.

Alex Tsepko

Hey there. Just FYI - we follow all your comments. And work hard on getting you the necessary fixes. The next update is scheduled for the end of December. We mainly focused on bug fixes and performance improvements.

Alex Tsepko

Hi 👋
    The new update is being rolled out as we speak. Here are some more details.

macOS:
    • Stability improvements. Fixed 20+ crash issues.
    • Fixed issue with folder destination for catalog.
    • Fixed crashing on quit.
    Windows:
    • Stability improvements. 40+ crash issues fixed.
    • Fixed language change issue.
    • Fixed issue with folder destination for catalog.
    • Fixed internet connection issue.
    • Fixed crashes in Lightroom/Photoshop plugins.
    • Export/Share moved to file menu.
    • Fixed issues with duplicated images.
    How to update:
    macOS:
    If you haven’t turned on automatic updates, click on Luminar –> Check For Updates. If you have, you’ll see the available update when you start the app. If for some reason Luminar crashes when you start it, reinstall it with the installer you previously downloaded and the latest version will be downloaded automatically.
    Windows:
    Click on Help –> Check For Updates. Luminar always checks for updates at startup. If for some reason Luminar crashes when you start it, just reinstall it with the installer you previously downloaded. The latest version will be downloaded automatically.

Tom Pickering

Hmmm - Still no timeline to parity for Windows users.  Oh, wait, I forgot, that was back-burnered so you could release the DAM that nobody that takes photos for a living can really use.  Oh, wait, those wonderful AI filters are breaking the program!  Tsk!  Tsk!  Surely we can wait for a month or more for you to "improve" the program so that these amazingly unforseen bugs can be reported by only 6% of your users.  SMH.  I hope to be able to remove my hip-waders by the re;easeof 3.1, but I'm not holding my breath. d:¬{|

Ron Lawrence

Anyone that followed or bought ON1 from the beginning should recognize this growing pain process. ON1 was a disaster from the beginning for Win10 users. It's still got problems.

Andy H

Ron - I agree ON1 had issues, but 2019.1 is much improved for me - performance is great on my machine and crashes are very infrequent.  They've made big strides forward, Skylum has taken a massive step backwards with Luminar 3. It's is unusably slow on my machine, the same one that runs ON1 perfectly well.

Big thing I've noticed is that ON1 appear to be genuinely listening to customer feedback to drive their product development and are on the most part delivering on their promises and giving folks what they need. Skylum on the other hand give me the impression they are listening but are still rolling out functionality that some of us find pretty useless i.e. an embarrassingly basic DAM that no serious photographer will find useful, gimmicky AI "one slider does it all" adjustments and a major new release that's missed the mark big time. They are failing to get the basics right and ultimately are not delivering a credible Lightroom alternative at the moment.

I do like some aspects of Luminar (when it works) and I'll stick with Skylum as long as their updates are free, hoping they eventually get it right.  I think it's important we give these smaller firms a chance to turn it around and compete with the big guns.  My patience isn't endless though and I certainly won't pay any more for upgrades until my confidence in Skylum's ability to deliver increases. For now I thank the heavens for ON1 because they are the only ones that are keeping me from having to rejoin the Adobe Photography Plan.

Dan Parsons

Reminder - there are 3 business days left before the end of January when you will inevitably fail all your users again by not releasing a fix for simple issues like data destruction bugs, installer crashes, and not being able to open your own proprietary Luminar .lmnr file format.

Jon and Kathryn Graul

Hmmm .... I really wanted to stick with this long term . Clone stamp issues , crashes and also , "save changes ?" prompt went away and original just closes out ? Doesn't feel right ... if next update doesn't fix some or all , gonna try On1 I guess . Here's hoping for fixes , focus stacking and pano features to make it nearly a one and only but comments here scare me .

Colin Grant

@Dan parsons, the next update is now scheduled for the beginning of Feb. The update is I believe now 3.0.2 rather than 3.1.0. It has been mentioned on here. See:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360040367792

Andy H

@Colin Grant. Wow, if I'm not mistaken the headline text of this tread stated late January. I'd rather Skylum get it right rather than rush it out, but if this delay is correct then this is the latest in a string of failures to deliver what was promised. Credibility is everything in this industry and Skylum's is disappearing fast, which is a shame.

Colin Grant

To be fair they always said end Jan/early Feb. What I cannot get my head around is why the release number promised (3.1.0) has been reduced to a very minor number, 3.0.2. There must be something behind that change. 

Dan Parsons

I am willing to bet my entire income on the following two predictions:

(1) Skylum’s cloud services will be a total shitshow nightmare. Justification: they lack the software engineering maturity necessary for much simpler things like “never ship an app that crashes upon startup for a majority of users”. Cloud support is much harder than that.

(2) Luminar’s improvement trajectory will continue to decline, but at a faster rate, now that they are trying to add cloud support to a product that is at its core, incredibly unstable. Justification: Luminar as it stands right now has data destruction bugs that have survived multiple major release cycles. That Skylum isn’t 100% dedicated to fixing said data destruction issues, to the point that they realize they can’t add new features, means they have a profound lack of engineering leadership - obviously the marketing leadership is driving this train crash.

Colin Grant

It does rather seem that the added functionality is just something else to go on the advertising page. It feels rather like they have just gone through one bad launch and are now gearing themselves up for the next sales drive where they will deliver below par yet again. And so the cycle continues until...........? Perhaps they will just take it as far as they can and then dream up another ground breaking initiative whilst consigning Luminar to the bin as they did CK. Now that is a scenario that does concern me.

I really do like the product conceptually and being on Mac I have had some great use out of it. The results have been really good but there is always a performance issue or other bug waiting to be squashed. Far worse for Windows users. There are some good Skylum people on this forum who take the brunt of it all, but we all know they cannot do anything other than try and help.

I just keep praying that the CEO will learn but perhaps that is not the business plan. Nevertheless I live in hope as I can see how good this could be with the right focus.

Colin Grant

Depends on what, Mike? It is a bad business model from the users perspective. I also question the legality of selling knowingly what does not work or via untrue claims - Luminar the Lr killer! Such an approach is not sustainable so they either get enough cash quickly in order to run the thing properly or lose market and see even the delayed cash flow numbers reduce.

Colin Grant

If Skylum are out of Cyprus then they are in the EU, assuming they are not on the Turkish side. The EU has very strong consumer laws.

Colin Grant

Yes I have come across MVPs before. A finance program I use was set up that way some 5 years ago now. But they marketed it as such and development continues to this day - it has not been superseded and consigned to the bin. We the users knew exactly what we were going to get and what was to come. Updates were rolled out on a very regular basis with superb quality control. Interestingly that company has now gone subscription but only about USD50 per annum so no big deal. But it proves it is difficult to maintain cash flow and especially so once a product reaches maturity.

Andy H

...........meanwhile, in a universe where things can be executed properly: ON1 release the Photo RAW 2019.2 update and it's really solid with a great example of how AI should be used. Tangible performance improvements too. Skylum take note, you are slipping even further behind.

Colin Grant

Just playing with it, ON1. Still not sure. Performance is better but the masking does not seem as good as it was. Might be me so will give it time. Still do not like the workflow or the masking brushes which still have a lag on them, especially the Perfect Brush. But still seemingly years in front of Luminar 3.

Andy H

@Colin.  ON1 isn't perfect for sure, workflow is much improved and could be improved further, but it's a much better bet than Luminar at the moment. It's been quite fascinating to watch the development of both Luminar and Photo RAW.  Both have been around for about the same time (first released in 2016) and both have had issues along the way.  For me though, over the past few months ON1 have found another gear and have simply out developed Skylum. In part, I put this down to ON1 having an open, transparent, customer led development philosophy that has focussed them on giving folks what they want and as a result produced a compelling (but not perfect) Lightroom alternative. Skylum in contrast have hit reverse, lost focus and spent too much time pushing AI because that's what they think we want - all to the detriment of getting the basics right. If I was in their shoes, the last thing I'd be doing right now is considering a cloud based solution or any additional functionality until the reliability and bugs are ironed out.

K.G. Wuensch

Sustainable development mandates that first comes conceptual, then technical correctness and then, only then, can you start optimizing while maintaining the already achieved state of technical correctness. Don’t adhere to these rules and you risk optimizing false code, thereby obscuring any error locations beneath layers of optimized code. If you later try to remedy that risks losing all the work put into optimizing and witha DAM in place you must maintain rendering from now until the end of the product life - because no matter how doolally the rendering is, some people will rely on it and base their workflow on these very results... So IMHO with the many conceptual flaws, numerous technical issues starting to optimize now as is suggested by the roadmap is way too early and will kill any chances of Luminar ever reaching maturity...

Colin Grant

I do not expect Luminar to ever attain maturity. Skylum’s track record suggests they will move on before then. That is why Adobe still rules ok in this house and why Luminar is a perpetual plugin.

Tim Gillespie

Good grief! I just downloaded On1 2019.2 FREE trial and here are a few observations.

1. It catalogues just fine on a local computer. In fact, very fast!

2. It displays file names and other stuff right where you want it. Why is this sooo hard?

3. It is very fast. This makes a huge difference as I can jump around my SSD quickly. And I do! Professional fine art and on site photographer, videographer, web master, writer, desktop publisher (real books in the hundreds of thousands) and consultant. A real consultant. I must have speed.

4. Reasonably good developer. Not sure if the finer points of development are covered yet. But so far, not bad. I print to an Epson 9880, 44" wide, fine art printer. I can tell the differences in developers.

5. This is the only photo editor / Library that I can point to my network / drive array and have it read the array and render the images OVER THE NETWORK. The images are mostly 40 to 70 mb each. There are over 250,000 on the array. This is simply stunning by itself!

6. I can actually edit a RAW over the network. I thought I would never live to see the day!!!!!

7. $99 for a 5 computer license. I am buying one for each station on the network, simply for the speed that this offers. We will have to see about importing from Lightroom and keywording and all of that.

8. For now I can still use Lightroom for editing and developing and On1 for file searching and fast browsing.

Yes those are real findings. I am still interested in what Skylum does here, but the pressure is off for sure! And as far as I am concerned market share is still up for grabs!  One day into a FREE 30 day trial FOR MAC and I am sold.

9. This is cool! Thanks guys! This one tip alone will save me tons of time and makes hanging out here totally worth it. Really.

10. Speed rules, everything else but quality (and interface) drools!!!

Tim Gillespie

Incidentally, one more point.

The reason why market share is so important?

Because once consumers decide on emerging software markets and start using the software and entrenching, they are highly unlikely to change platforms. Even if slightly better software shows up. Who wants the hassle.

Once Lightroom is cast down into the depths from whence it came, we will choose a new platform and conversations like this will quickly fade away!

Is anyone listening?

Please sign in to leave a comment.