Moving Luminar 3 catalog

Comments

12 comments

Bernhard Martin

I think you can move the catalog-folder to any other location and than open it by using File -> Catalog -> Open .. command.

Comment actions Permalink
    Benni Stehle

Oh my gosh... I really did not see this.

Thank you.

I will try it.

Richard Harrington

But be careful when moving.  I suggest duplicating it before the move.

Gregory Daikos

Relevant to the initial question. Here is the situation:

1. I created a folder called "Images" and inside that folder i created a folder called "Raws". Inside the "Raws" folder i copied my raw files

2. from within luminar 3 i created a catalog under the folder "Images".

3. I moved the whole data structure (Images and below) to a different location

-> Images

--> Catalog

(luminar catalog + cache db)

-->Raw files

(raw files)

4. Opened Luminar 3 and the "File -> Catalog -> Open".

5. The thumbnails to the left appear with a triangle with the ! symbol. Apparently Luminar 3 cannot locate the raw files.

How can i instruct luminar 3 to "see" the raw files in the new location?

Richard Harrington

Currently, there is no relink command in Lumin are. If you’re going to move files you should move them within the application. Not at the finder or explore level. Put the Files back in their original location. Then drag them to the new locations within the application. If you’d like you can make a folder in the new location and within women are drag the folders into it. This update the database and let s it know to make the move.

Gregory Daikos

Yes, that worked. Unfortunatelly it is not the desired functionality. For example.

1. We place the raws in a folder, we create a catalog and we import the raw files into the catalog

2. we work the raws and we export the jpg

3. we deliver them to the client

4. we store the project (raws and catalog) to an offline disk

5. after some time the client requests for a re-process of just a few images.

Ideally we would like to just open the catalog from the offline disk re-edit, export and deliver. Personally, i might not even remember the original location/disk ... so i suppose if the definition of the raw folder was indepenent of uuid or absolute path or each raw, (e.g. defined once at catalog level), it will be easy to re-define the raw path in the catalog. (hopefully in the next updates)

Christine H

Thought I'd post because I'm having a similar issue. My workflow is:

• Import photos to my Desktop
    • Edit photos
    • Export to JPG
    • Move entire folder (and sub-folders) to external hard drive

No edits or stars are retained when I move the folder. :( When I re-open Luminar, the former location on the Desktop has been removed. There's no trace of it (no grayed-out folder, nor thumbnails with !), so I can't redirect Luminar to the new location.

So how do I retain my edits and flags when I move files to an external drive?? I'm not comfortable moving the files through Luminar, since Luminar *moves* instead of *copying* the files. Windows has botched a file move more than once, so I don't really trust 3rd party software to handle it perfectly 100% of the time either.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Christine!
    Please try to locate all the folders you moved to their original location. Launch Luminar - the folders should be in the catalog with all the edits. In case they are not - try restoring a catalog from a backup:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Navigate to where your catalog is stored.
    3. Locate the Backups folder in the catalog and open it.
    4. In the Backups folder, select a file that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and copy the file somewhere where you can easily access it.
    5. Rename the file you just copied by adding the following after the file name (omit quotes): '.luminar'.
    6. Start Luminar.
    7. Click File > Catalog > Open > point Luminar to the file from Step 5.

When everything seems good, leave Luminar open and relocate the folders to the desired location.

In Luminar the folders would get a triangle sign, that's when you will have an option to right-click > locate folder

Christine H

Hi Anastasia, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, when I move folders via Windows Explorer (with Luminar open), the original location disappears from Luminar, and the new location never shows up. I did try a few times with different methods, and am unable to get my histories back.

For example: After I copy a folder to my external drive (via Windows), I delete the local copy to my Recycle Bin. That new copy on my external drive doesn't even show up in Luminar. Is there a way to force a manual refresh? Next, if I restore the original folder from my Recycle Bin, that will show up again in Luminar, but all of my history/flags are gone. I just realized this after a few weeks of moving many folders to my external drive. I can restore my catalog from a backup, but with how often I move files around, I don't think it'll end up being worth my time to track down each one, since I still can't get Luminar to add the new external location to my catalog.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Christine,

If you're moving folders while Luminar is open you should be able to use Luminar's "Locate" option to find the missing folder.

For instance:

1. With Luminar open - open Explorer and move/copy a folder to the external hard drive.
    2. Move the copy on your internal hard drive to the recycle bin (do not empty recycle bin until you've verified that Luminar successfully points to the folder on the external drive in the steps below)
    3. Luminar will then show a warning on that folder and the images it contains to show that the folder is missing.
    4. Right click on the folder you just moved in Luminar and choose Locate and point Luminar to the new location on your external hard drive.
    5. Luminar should then associate all edits with the folder on the external drive. Once you've confirmed that, you can safely empty your recycle bin.

Please let me know how it goes.

Christine H

Hi Angela, this doesn't work. As soon as I send my local copy of the folder to the Recycle Bin, it automatically removes the folder from my Luminar library. It doesn't show the warning as you say in #3. It is gone. On top of that, the copied folder doesn't show up in my library that I added from my external drive. Is there a way to refresh that library so it shows any new folders/files?

Now, if I restore the copy in my Recycle Bin back to its original location, Luminar eventually finds it (after 10+ minutes of "Creating Image Gallery", during which the program is essentially frozen)... but all of my edits are gone.

Terry Rogers

Hi Christine! Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Please sign in to leave a comment.