Perhaps the learning point here is to try listening to your customers

Comments

16 comments

Peter Gladstein

Damage control - I would suggest that you remove the download links for Luminar 3.

Comment actions Permalink
    Eric Hanauer

Totally unusable. Freezes every time. I should have known better than to download a .0 version. Not ready for prime time.

Dan Parsons

Genuinely do not understand why Skylum shipped this product. It was not ready to ship. It should not have been shipped. I second the idea of removing the download links for Luminar 3. Luminar 2018 was bugridden too, but at least it occasionally worked. I can't get Luminar 3 to do anything!

Jim West

I am curious what platform you are running on and how much RAM you have? I learned the hard way that Luminar and Aurora will not run on 8GB of RAM!  I have a 2013 iMac with 24GB and it runs Luminar 3 like a charm. So while I understand others frustration the issue seems to be that specific platforms are under resourced. Skylum needs to change their Minimum Specs because they are simply too low! And if these issues are all Windows related then pull the Windows version.

Rob Davis

I don't think these issues are related to inadequately specced machines. It's clearly a bug ridden release. I've owned Luminar since day one and this is the buggiest release I've seen. Crashes constantly on my late 2015 iMac. Many others with newer iMacs having issues.

Scott DB

Yup, Mid 2015 Mac, Quad Core i7, 16 gigs, SSD.  Crashes within first 5 minutes.   Would just be happy to hear from someone at Skylum.  

Scott DB

Perhaps at least offer us Luminar 2018 codes until this all gets sorted out maybe? 

Michael Ganz

I haven't explored every aspect of Luminar 3 yet, but what I did find really bothers me.  Back story: For some reason or other, my version of Luminar 2018 does not recognize any of my third party plugins.  When I select "Plugins" from main menu, the "Other" option doesn't show up.  Any fixes recommended by Skylum didn't work.  I was hoping Luminar 3 may fix this bug.  Well, Luminar 3 does in fact include the "Other" option under the "Plugins" sub-menu.  Unfortunately, when selecting either of the sub-options (Aurora or Other), my Mac freezes up and I get the spinning pinwheel (or beachball if you prefer).  Tried restarting and trying again three additional times with the same result.  Went the Uninstall/Re-Install route, and that didn't fix it either.  I'm about ready to say to heck with it and get the LR/PS subscription.

Doubt its my system:

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Mac Pro (late 2013 but purchased new old stock about a month ago)

3.5 GHz 6-core Xeon E5

Memory 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Eric Hanauer

Retina 5k Mac, 2017, 4.2 ghz Intel Core i7, 40 (yes, 40) gb of RAM.

I don't think it's under spec'd. 

Dan Parsons

All of the Luminar support reps that normally frequent this forum have been pretty silent since v3 shipped.... I wonder why....

Tony Collins

I suspect they are a bit busy trying to answer support emails. I'm still waiting for a response 50+ hours later.

No activation for me.

Alina Skylum

Hi folks, we've got 1000+ posts and comments on the forum during the last 3 days and we are trying to reply to all of them as soon as we can. 

We promise to reply to each request

Tony Collins

Alina - thanks. You support people are doing a good job under difficult circumstances.

Scott Hampton

As Jim West said, 8GB is not enough. I have a 2013 27" iMac, also. Used it with 8GB for everything, including Final Cut Pro, Adobe CC, Final Cut Express, Aperture, Pixelmator, Alien Skin Exposure X4, Capture One…everything. Luminar 2018 was too slow so, after all these years, I finally upgraded to 24GB of RAM. Haven't really kicked the tires on Luminar 3 yet, but it does make my hard drive spin intensely…

Jim West

Another thing I should add is that a typical built in hard drive that is not SSD may be painful as well. I was totally frustrated with Luminar, ON1, LR and PS on my brand new 2017 iMac. I added more RAM and an external SSD drive and loaded the IOS and all these applications onto the SSD drive. Once I did that it was like night and day for all of these programs.  And don't get me started on how painful Apple has made it to upgrade RAM on the 2017 model!!! I did the same with my 2013 iMac and added more RAM and the SSD drive. I have not had any issues with Luminar 3 running  on it. No crashes, library works fine and edit module seems stable. However I am disappointed with the functionality. Seems like an Apple Photos knock off with slightly better editing tools. 

Michael Ganz

I should also add that my Mac Pro is equipped with an SSD.  I even had another crash when editing a photo.  I was using a luminosity mask to change the sky in an image.  Everything was working fine until I selected the transform tool to adjust the sky image placement.  After making the placement adjust, before I could click the "Done" button, my computer crashed and the spinning beachball appeared once again.  I normally work with 16-bit tiff files for these types of edits but was using jpegs in this instance..could that be part of the problem?  I would hope not.  I guess I'll just have to wait for the next update to see if the bugs have been worked out.  If not, then I'll have to bite the bullet and sign up for PS/LR CC.  Also, I'm not using the Luminar 3 trial version...I purchased Luminar 2018 about one month ago and used the upgrade link that was provided.

Please sign in to leave a comment.