is this a tragidy or a comedy?

Comments

12 comments

Dann Lavery

I'm not part of Skylum, but it was NEVER marketed as "ultimate" anything.  

Refer to:  https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Check in with support on your performance related challenges.  

You have an impressive archive quantity so I'm curious what you currently use to catalogue & organize and why you would switch to ANYTHING.

I have 5 figures in images and am very reluctant to move away from Bridge unless the (any) DAM will seamlessly incorporate the .xmp files.

Comment actions Permalink
    b bonev

Hi everybody, I had some serious issue too.

• I will start with not having Luminar 3 for free since I own 2018 version Luminar. Am I supposed to receive a link with my new serial number? The new version is not showing in my software. Actually 2018 is not showing up either. Only the original purchase is showing. 
    • So since support by web form is way too slow I went and got the try out so I can test it. Here are the big issues I saw that most of you already mentioned:
    1. crashing- this happens all over the place- indexing my photo library, scrolling, zooming just name it it is there. 
    2. Color shift as people noticed when editing. 
    3. Thumnails of photos with PhotoPro profile does not show proper colors. If you double click on it, it will render ok in a second once it loads. 
    jan van de ven

@dann lavery

the extensive marketing campaign for luminar 3 at least suggested we would be able to upgrade to something great. now there’s only desillusion.

I did send my complaints to skylum support, but it’s good to mention them here too as a warning to people that might consider buying the program. my advise would be: buy (or stick to) luminar 2018.

I use adobe lightroom - and I’m happy with that. but my non-cloud-version is no longer serviced and I don’t want to use a subscription based program. so at some moment in the future I will have to swith to ‘anything’. I had hoped that luminar 3 would be that alternative.

K.G. Wuensch

@Dann, it was marketed at doing everything Lightroom can do but better, faster, easier... The only thing it can do better is slow down the computer and bring even the best machine to it's knees. For anything else Lightroom is in another universe of functionality and ease of use - Luminar 3 only drove home how great Lightroom is as a product.

b bonev

Absolutely. Luminar 3 is not usable. 2018 was a nice plugin to Lightroom 6

Colin Grant

L3 seems to work nicely with Lr, does here anyway, and that way the library is not even visible. 

I ran a test catalogue with only 2000 images and L3 is still running nicely (well nicely but without the much needed functionality and with a few bugs) on my iMac. It does seem that L3 chokes when bringing in a very large number of images.

b bonev

I have 15000 photographs library and while it index all of them, the later JPGs are archived with PhotoPRO profile which L3 supports but the thumbnail gallery does not support... Absolute tragedy in code writing. Also the DAM will crash all the time for all different reasons. The last and not least I still have not received my free 2018 to L3 SN?!?

Richard Harrington

Hi b bonev if your 2018 software isn't showing up it may be because you need to register it.  You can do that under the MySoftware section in Help.  If you have issues finding your serial number or receipt in email, please reach out to support@skylum.com.

b bonev

Thanks for the license issue. I am now good to go with both L2018 and L3. I will test and see what is what.

b bonev

Well there is something totally messed up with the core of the app. I have never seen so many crashes for different things... It crashed when I pasted my SN in the activation window now it says server communication error...

Colin Grant

My install went smoothly but many have had your problem and there are issues beyond that. To be frank L3 is not really worth bothering with other than a plugin to Lr and the like. Bugs keep cropping up I have just found that drag and drop falls over every now and again and refuses to move images between folders. Just read these forums and you will see many horror stories. There is a bug update due before the end off this month so that might help. My decision is made though - sticking with Lr as my dam.

Denis Kotsee

@b bonev verify that your firewall or antivirus isn't blocking Luminar from accessing the Internet.

Check your hosts file (SHIFT+CMD+G in Finder: type /etc and press Enter). It should not be blocking outgoing connections from Luminar.

See if you can activate Luminar on another network, if possible. Some networks have strict firewall settings that block Luminar's requests to our servers.

Please sign in to leave a comment.