Luminar 3 has made its apperance but....

Comments

6 comments

Steve Ratts

I’ve noticed something similar though in my very limited testing it seemed to correlate with having the library on an external drive. I haven’t seen it crash like this with my desktop (which is not nearly as capable as yours! Older 2012 machine with 16gb ram also running Mojave). But I have seen this with my 2017 Mac book pro (also running Mojave)

update: it also crashes on my mbp when the external drive is not attached. Segmentation fault

Comment actions Permalink
    Stephen Campbell

Thank you Steve for your comments. I will load some images on to my internal HD and see what my experience is. I recently "lost" a HD with over four years of images on it. Fortunately, I had double backups of the original images So, I now have each year on a separate HD with the corresponding back-ups.

That being said, I fail to understand why the software should be that sensitive to file location to cause it to crash.

Steve Ratts

I’m with you on that point! It really needs to be ok with drives whether they’re internal or external and external backups are just good data management these days.

Markus Gehlhaar

My images are stored on an external drive too. I have the issue then when I rapidly rate images then Luminar exists or a strange message pops up, that there was a problem loading the image (or something like that). 

Angela Andrieux

We released a patch over the weekend (more info here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360036043011-Luminar-3-0-1-is-here) If you haven't already, please install it and let us know if the issue persists here or by creating a support ticket at http://www.Skylum.com/Support and linking to this thread.

Steve Ratts

Thanks Angela. V 3.0.1 appears to have solved the external drive problem! I spent several days using it reliably with my laptop (2015 MBP running Mojave) accessing a 65K library from an external drive connected via Thunderbolt. I'm testing it now with my older 2012 Hackintosh (also running Mojave).

It seems to not only be crash free, but also significantly faster. Unfortunately I didn't time it building my library the first time in 3.0.0, but it took quite a long time as others had reported. I was able to build a new library from a folder on my external drive in a reasonable time given the size. I timed it, and even limited to a USB 2 connection speed on the Hackintosh it built a 57K library in 15 minutes flat! Not bad! Nearly all of the images in that library are RAW from various Canon cameras.

I've seen reports from others where they haven't had as much success as I've had - but for me this is working fine on two machines. I hope you're able to address the remaining issues as quickly as you have the ones that were affecting me.

Please sign in to leave a comment.