Canon EOS R - CR3 RAW files... when?

Comments

62 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi folks, 

Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.

For now, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your .CR3 RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Luminar). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Comment actions Permalink
    Matt Dillon

Another Eos R user here. Upgraded from my 5D mark IV which worked with Luminar to find out my new camera won't work with Luminar. This makes Luminar a paperweight until fixed. Converting to another format takes up extra hard drive space which I assume other folks don't have either. This is a professional camera, and the format Canon is using on all cameras going forward. I'm hoping this is a priority at skylum

Markus Ullius

Too late. Other developers implemented this "secret" file format since a while now. Maybe Skylum gets a second chance when implementing plugin support for Capture One. But for now I'm finished and disappointed with all Skylum products (they are great but worthless without cr3 support and I don't feel Skylum is taking serious cr3-customers

Daniele De Caprio

I hope this get resolved with some degree of prioritization.

Canon CR3 format has been around since March 2018, starting with the EOS M50 (my camera indeed)  and it is still not supported.

I am sure everyone here understands having to allocate resources to new software versions, but we are close to one year of delay at this point...

Andrew Biz

Hey Skyllum - if you wait longer to get a CR3 Update the customers will switch to lightroom CC - almost every Photographer needs it - and i bet your work on other updates is a waste of time and money. 

Get this CR3 Support - other decisions to make updates for less popular cameras ( Nikon Z7&Z6) shows that you ignore what happens outside.

Tomas Loewy

i was the one who created a post, 3 months ago... after already owning the EOS R for 3 months, with the M50 being out now for over one year!

i see that i am not alone, and it is a shame.

it is absurd to suggest to go thru DNG, no one has a workflow like that!!!

the only good news is that there is now software which understands CR3 files natively, and it is very good software. DxO PhotoLab 2... i'm having great results, and although i miss the many presets which i have and bought (serge ramelli, trey ratcliff) and then adapted to my needs i am making presets in DxO now...

luminar 3 is reasonably great, but the lack of respect for a big part of serious photographers is palpable in the above comments asking for patience, patience and more patience.

i wish someone from skylum who reads forwarded this thread to the CEO of skylum and have him comment on this. unvarnished. we don't need more apologies, we need CR3 implementation in Luminar 3 (and Aurora HDR) IMMEDIATELY.

Markus Ullius

Another Update and still no support for Canon EOS R files. I liked Luminar very much but since I have my EOS R it's not really useful anymore. I'm really disappointed and think about switching to Capture One

Tomas Loewy

hi all... i asked about CR3 4+ months ago.

2 months ago Alina (the Skylum manager) copy and pasted the usual company speak which is mostly meaning less "Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.".

no further updates from Alina, but 2 more months have passed and my sad assessment that this is a meaningless excuse has been validated by the release of a new Skylum version - again without CR3 support.

either the folks at DxO who implemented native CR3 support in their software a while ago are geniuses, or they just simply know what to do, as opposed to ...

kirk, please spare yourself the embarrasment of copy and pasting the skylum party line... hte same nonsical statement has been copy and pasted into this thread several times now - and it is a laughable one.

if you have nothing to say just don't say it.

otherwise you bring in even more focus on the fact of the incompetence and lack of interest skylum has shown for users of a polpular camera from the still biggest camera manufacturer, canon.

the format has been around since february 2018. and the canon R has been around since september 2018...

a REASONABLE and TECHNICAL in-depth explanation of WHAT the problem is (carelessness? lack of technical expertise? priority (or lack thereof)?) would be much more welcome than copy an pasting nothingness.

thanks for understanding that from someone speaking for skylum we not only expect honesty, but respect. copy and pasting is not a sign thereof.

cheers!

Roland Schmitz

Dear Maryna Skylum,

don´t be so sad about your name as I´m no longer sad about missing CR3-Support.

Your answer is a big kick in all users face after more than one year without CR3-Support.

The important thing is, that the users of EOS R or EOS RP didn´t usw skylum because of "being more professional".

Luminar is not for pros and this handful of users of EOS M50 (or upcoming M5 II and M6 II) are not interesting.

They are not worth the work I think.

After this answer (a fXXüÄ''ing oldschool workaround with DNG? Seriously?) I´m ready with skylums blabla. Luminar is still not very fast and DNG-

Converting takes some time, too!

So I will follow up with above Markus Ullios and switch to  something like Capture One Pro.

By the way, dear "Maryna Skylum", HOW DO THE OTHERS MAKE IT HAPPEN TO SUPPORT CR3?

They have had all the same Problem with the undocumented filetype (really?), but they did it!

It´s the old story, pay less and you pay two (or more!) times...

If in any time CR3-Support arrives - will it only work or being integrated in...for example, Luminar 10 in 2024? O_O :-)

I´m sure there will be NO more updates for my Luminar 3!

Bye Bye Skylum.

Johannes Schröder

Hello Angela,

Do you have any news on the support for CR3 Raw files in Luminar 3. When do you expect the release?

Thank you.

BR Johannes

Peter Wong

I hope this gets resolved soon too, as Canon has two full frame mirrorless cameras in the market now. The EOS R and EOS RP both use CR3 and would be much appreciated if Luminar 3 and HDR 2019 can support these cameras.

Michael Robbins

Same, I need this for my EOS R

Louzao JS

Iep, another Eos R user here. It is very frustrating not to be able to use a software for which you have paid just because you've decided to ignore Canon camera users. We will have to try other softwares that do care about their users, then...

It's a shame, but it's something you've provoked. In a whole year you have not been able to implement the support for .cr3 files.

Daniele De Caprio

It would be a massive step forward to have at least an ETA for this very basic feature, instead of a generic "Some time in the future" or "as soon as we can".
    Not having raw support lowers the value of this software to that of Apple Photo.

Tomas Loewy

hi marty,
    thanks for trying to add information, but...

a) it is irrelevant that CR3 are convertible to DNG, no one wants to waste time and space for that convoluted workflow

b) i have DxO PhotoLab 2 on my computer right now (winwdows version 2.2.0 build 23644) and right NOW  - march 16, 2019 - i can see my CR3s.  when i open. please, let us not saw confusion by maybe using an older version

luminar 3 is good, but there has never been an explanation WHY the CR3 format (introduced by canon in the M50 in FEBRUARY of 2018, a.k.a. 13 months ago) is supposedly so difficult to implement. some of us here understand software coding (i myself do) and to always say "technical issues" without explaing what they are gets old fast.

cheers

Matt Dillon

Hello Skylum,

Having to batch convert 16-32GB of cr3 files to DNG does not make sense for time nor space for folks like myself who are sometimes working with large volumes of photos (event photographer here). Any updates on if this will be a priority update?

Canon is going all in with RF lenses going forward if you haven't been reading.. which means this is also the future of Canon cameras going forward. They wouldn't be investing in multi thousand $$ lenses if they weren't serious. It would be a real shame if this app is left behind due to lack of support.

Just in the near future:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/future-canon-rf-lenses-at-tps-2019-33376

Kevin DiOssi

I love that I just spent a few days watching how awesome this software is and choose to purchase it this morning...only to find that it doesn't recognize the EOS R files almost SIX MONTHS after it has been released. What on earth is this? How is this even possible? "Technical difficulties" ?!?! It has been almost six months. Sorry, but I will be taking advantage of the money back guarantee because your staff has proven that new cameras are not a priority in implementing and I really have no desire to wait for you to catch up with the market half a year later.

Tomas Loewy

please don't embarrass skylum ...

by copy and pasting statements which were laughable when they were emailed to me 5+ months ago, posted them here 2 months ago and are copy and pasted in this thread from time, including now..

developers working around the clock for 4 months have had 24 x 125 = 3,500 development hours per person now to implement something which developers at (for example Dx0) finnalized 2+ months ago... so with let's say 3 developers round the clock... that must be over 10,000 developer hours with zero result...

btw, adobe has been able to handle CR3s since camera RAW 11.1 (now 11.3 is current). so if you want to recommend adobe products please share this fact. no one wants to waste time and space converting thousands of files into an imperfect DNG format...

instead of copy and pasting we have asked for all this time for a more technical detailed explanation. wouldn't you mind having your CEO write something more enlightening and sharing it with us here?

thanks

Alessio Furlan

Please kirk.
    Do not copy-paste previous messages.

It's all already very embarrassing.

Do you know that the Canon EOS M50 is Canon's best-selling mirrorless in 2018? You know that?

I manage one of the most influential blogs in Italy and despite having created a complete course on Luminar (you can find it on Udemy) I'm forced to "not recommend" your software to users precisely for these reasons.

Thank you.

Markus Ullius

A new version - and still no support for cr3-files. Very poor! Mybe the developers should work on the code and not "around the clock" as they always write. Other products (Lightroom, CaptureOne, macOS Mojave) support this format - so I assume it can not be too difficult. I'm quite disappointed - again!

Markus

Translated from https://norberteder.photography/luminar-cr3-wird-nicht-unterstuetzt/

"The new Canon RAW format in version 3 (short CR3) is used by the Canon EOS M50, as well as by the Canon EOS R and RP. Many image-editing programs can not read this format and wait for support. Including Luminar. But why?

Skylum, the company behind Luminar, does not implement support for a wide range of image formats, but relies on a library called ImageMagick . This library offers many features related to image processing.

For reading out camera RAW files, ImageMagick also uses another library: libraw (see here ).

And libraw does not support Canon's new format yet. This means that any image processing software that builds on it does not yet have CR3 (Adobe implements that for their products themselves).

Inquiries to Skylum or other manufacturers are therefore of no help, rather requests must be made to the manufacturers of libraw so that they implement and provide the format (here, by the way, this is the CR3 specification ).

Those who want to support and have a Github account can vote this feature higher here ."

Not sure if ANY of this is correct but the list of supported cameras is almost exactly the same. It might explain why they have no ETA for CR3...

Tomas Loewy

hi "Member",

that's an interesting explanation... are you SURE that Skylum (and others, for example i also use ACDSee) rely on ImageMagick and libraw. As a native german speaker i have checked there and don't see that link as directly as you say it exists, but will take your way for it.

problem is if what you say is the case then Skylum's Alina (and all the others who have copy and pasted similar statements in the past half year) must have been lying to all of us saying that "Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.".

would anyone speaking officially for Skylum want to comment on this.

for now the summary is that it is an EMBARRASSMENT to sell software that does not support the format the biggest camera manufacturer (canon) chose to put into their new cameras since FEBRUARY of 2018.

and it will continue to be an embarassment and more than that: Luminar 3 is still unusable for many tasks.

Markus Ullius

A new version - a new disappointment!

As a customer I don't care if it's Skylum or ImageMagick. The Software I bought is called Luminar and it's from Skylum. If they rely on 3rd-party stuff they have to handle this.

As a customer I don't feel taken serious by Skylum if they repetedly write nonsense like "working around the clock"

My workflow does not work anymore regardless of all the great features Luminar has. I just can't use it in an efficient way.

I consider to switch to other solutions - meaning:

• I'll give my Skylum software to friends who can use it
    • I'll invest in another solution
    • I will never by any Skylum stuff any more - because it's not a solid investment
    • I can not recommend Skylum stuff any more

So, please pull your finger out off your a** and bring CR3 support in the next update in near future!

kent Murrell

So Luminar 4 is coming (at a cost). Will it support .CR3 files? Probably not because the software developers have been too busy working on AI sky replacement and that (apparently) is far more important than .CR3 support. I think it is time to start looking for an alternative product.

Markus Ullius

I switched to Capture One Pro 2 weeks ago and I'm happy with it. Skylum is no option for me any more.

Maryna, 

please, please stop embarrassing yourself and all Skylum team members by copy and pasting the party line. I've been in touch all the way up at Skylum's hierarchy (yes, all the way to Alex Tsepko, CEO) and there is zero willingness to do anything about it. 

so, just admit that Skylum either doesn't care, or has the technical/intellectual capacity to implement it - and will not have it in Luminar 4 (for which Skylum wants to charge, although it clearly is 3.5.5.5.5.5 or whatever you want to call it).

the fact that DxO Photolab and ON1 have been supporting CR3 for months proves that the party line "the documentation on this file format is not publicly available, so the process of implementation might take a while. Our tech team has already started working on this project" is a lie.

again, just admit it, move on and don't lie to your customers.

and, if you (or Alina or Alex or whoever) disagree with this statement then prove it. explain why other similar photo editors (see above) have mastered CR3 and Skylum refuses to do so.

Honesty goes a long way in today's world. We will be disappointed and furious at having been misled for a year now, but we'll just move on.

zdrastvuj, tomas

Michael Paetsch

Whats about CR3 (rar Converting Files for Canon R Series?) I Odered Luminar 4 Minutes ago. But Why? Shoot i Use 3 or 4 Programms to develope my Photos in the Future?

Markus Ullius

I successfully switched to Capture One Pro and I'm very happy. CR3 is supported and quality of the results is very good. Well, Capture One is more expensive than Luminar but it saves me time and brings the results I want.

So, no Skylum products (Luminar, Aurora, ...) any more - at least in near future. To get me back as a customer they have to bring much more than just some fancy AI-features and they have to learn to take their customers serious

Stefano Di Chiara

To everyone,

Please don't hold your breath... instead, plan a nice vacation, then renovate your house, eventually enjoy grandparenting, buy that big red convertible that you liked so much when you were young but couldn't afford, then finally retire, and at some point (maybe) when you think life has nothing new and surprising to show you, tada, Luminar will support CR3! 

Please sign in to leave a comment.