Canon EOS R - CR3 RAW files... when?

Comments

56 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi folks, 

Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.

For now, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your .CR3 RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Luminar). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tomas,

I don't have a release date for CR3 support, but we are working on it and hope to release it soon.

As for the naming of the software - we decided to move away from the year-based name so we aren't locked in to a specific annual upgrade schedule.

Johannes Schröder

Hello Angela,

Do you have any news on the support for CR3 Raw files in Luminar 3. When do you expect the release?

Thank you.

BR Johannes

Helena Carter

Hi Johannes,

There's no ETA for CR3 RAW support yet. We will keep you posted. Please, check our roadmap for more planned features: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Johannes Schröder

Hello Helena,

that's a shame, that Skylum will support in the next release the Nikon Z6 and Z7 but not Canon R. Is something missing from Canon that Skylum R&D to finalze the development?

BR Johannes

Daniel Scholz

@Johannes, our team is now fully focused on the next Luminar 3 update for both Windows and Mac OS, so adding new cameras to our list might take more time. We know that this format (CR3) is becoming quite popular - so we'll do our best to support this file extension as soon as we can.

Converting these files into DNG might help as a temporary workaround though.

Daniele De Caprio

I hope this get resolved with some degree of prioritization.

Canon CR3 format has been around since March 2018, starting with the EOS M50 (my camera indeed)  and it is still not supported.

I am sure everyone here understands having to allocate resources to new software versions, but we are close to one year of delay at this point...

Peter Wong

I hope this gets resolved soon too, as Canon has two full frame mirrorless cameras in the market now. The EOS R and EOS RP both use CR3 and would be much appreciated if Luminar 3 and HDR 2019 can support these cameras.

Michael Robbins

Same, I need this for my EOS R

Andrew Biz

Hey Skyllum - if you wait longer to get a CR3 Update the customers will switch to lightroom CC - almost every Photographer needs it - and i bet your work on other updates is a waste of time and money. 

Get this CR3 Support - other decisions to make updates for less popular cameras ( Nikon Z7&Z6) shows that you ignore what happens outside.

Anna Veres

Hi Everyone, 

As we have already mentioned, we do our best to implement CR3 files as soon as we can. 

Hope for your patience. 

Matt Dillon

Another Eos R user here. Upgraded from my 5D mark IV which worked with Luminar to find out my new camera won't work with Luminar. This makes Luminar a paperweight until fixed. Converting to another format takes up extra hard drive space which I assume other folks don't have either. This is a professional camera, and the format Canon is using on all cameras going forward. I'm hoping this is a priority at skylum

Louzao JS

Iep, another Eos R user here. It is very frustrating not to be able to use a software for which you have paid just because you've decided to ignore Canon camera users. We will have to try other softwares that do care about their users, then...

It's a shame, but it's something you've provoked. In a whole year you have not been able to implement the support for .cr3 files.

Daniele De Caprio

It would be a massive step forward to have at least an ETA for this very basic feature, instead of a generic "Some time in the future" or "as soon as we can".
    Not having raw support lowers the value of this software to that of Apple Photo.

Tomas Loewy

i was the one who created a post, 3 months ago... after already owning the EOS R for 3 months, with the M50 being out now for over one year!

i see that i am not alone, and it is a shame.

it is absurd to suggest to go thru DNG, no one has a workflow like that!!!

the only good news is that there is now software which understands CR3 files natively, and it is very good software. DxO PhotoLab 2... i'm having great results, and although i miss the many presets which i have and bought (serge ramelli, trey ratcliff) and then adapted to my needs i am making presets in DxO now...

luminar 3 is reasonably great, but the lack of respect for a big part of serious photographers is palpable in the above comments asking for patience, patience and more patience.

i wish someone from skylum who reads forwarded this thread to the CEO of skylum and have him comment on this. unvarnished. we don't need more apologies, we need CR3 implementation in Luminar 3 (and Aurora HDR) IMMEDIATELY.

Marty D

For those of us RP users, Adobe released, on Wednesday  03/13,  a beta 11.2.1 that converts to DNG. Tested this and it works. To address a previous post about work flow, I did a batch convert of 100 full RAW files in less than 1 minute. Not to bad for a 7 year old PC with a Sandy Bridge processor and 16 gig of ram. A side note, DxO PhotoLab 2 does not support EOS RP .CR3. I believe the only software that does support the EOS RP .CR3 is Canons DPP. My $.02 FWIW. LML (love my luminar).

Tomas Loewy

hi marty,
    thanks for trying to add information, but...

a) it is irrelevant that CR3 are convertible to DNG, no one wants to waste time and space for that convoluted workflow

b) i have DxO PhotoLab 2 on my computer right now (winwdows version 2.2.0 build 23644) and right NOW  - march 16, 2019 - i can see my CR3s.  when i open. please, let us not saw confusion by maybe using an older version

luminar 3 is good, but there has never been an explanation WHY the CR3 format (introduced by canon in the M50 in FEBRUARY of 2018, a.k.a. 13 months ago) is supposedly so difficult to implement. some of us here understand software coding (i myself do) and to always say "technical issues" without explaing what they are gets old fast.

cheers

Marty D

hi tomas,

thanks for making an attempt to understand my post, I will help you further. Please understand that I am referring to the EOS RP only, as I stated in my post.

you said:

it is absurd to suggest to go thru DNG, no one has a workflow like that!!!   and then you said

a) it is irrelevant that CR3 are convertible to DNG, no one wants to waste time and space for that convoluted workflow

I wrote:

that for ME it was a quick and easy process to convert. A persons workflow is their own choice as to what works best for them, and how one uses their time is a personal choice. 4TB HDD are under $95.00 on Amazon in the U.S. Not expensive.

you said:

b} i have DxO PhotoLab 2 on my computer right now (winwdows version 2.2.0 build 23644) and right NOW - march 16, 2019 - i can see my CR3s. when i open. please, let us not saw confusion by maybe using an older version

I wrote:

Dxo PhotoLab 2 does NOT support EOS RP

Go to   dxo.com/dxo-photolab/supported-cameras/   for the current list of supported cameras. The Canon EOS RP has a June 2019 update release. The RP will be supported with Ver 2.5.0    I also have a current copy of DxO PL 2.

I too am disappointed in the time it is taking for some Canon mirrorless cameras to be supported, Skylum's issues are theirs and they can be as transparent about notifying their customers as they want to be. No one is under any obligation to purchase their products. 

I am happy there is a work around that allows me to use Luminar3. I like the software.

I am not a coder, I have been a computer builder and modder, but I do know it is not always possible when it comes to software to "write once run everywhere".

FWIW  and as always IMO

good day 

Alessio Furlan

Good morning,
    Here I am. I am also looking forward to the implementation of the CR3 format.

I work with EOS R so I don't see why I should convert my workflow from Lightroom to Luminar 3 if I have no way, after 6 months, to use the native files of my EOS-R. (I exclude the conversion, it occupies me double the space)

I think development managers are taking this aspect lightly, forgetting that Canon is the company that still sells the most cameras in the world and all new models will implement the CR3 format.

Matt Dillon

Hello Skylum,

Having to batch convert 16-32GB of cr3 files to DNG does not make sense for time nor space for folks like myself who are sometimes working with large volumes of photos (event photographer here). Any updates on if this will be a priority update?

Canon is going all in with RF lenses going forward if you haven't been reading.. which means this is also the future of Canon cameras going forward. They wouldn't be investing in multi thousand $$ lenses if they weren't serious. It would be a real shame if this app is left behind due to lack of support.

Just in the near future:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/future-canon-rf-lenses-at-tps-2019-33376

Kevin DiOssi

I love that I just spent a few days watching how awesome this software is and choose to purchase it this morning...only to find that it doesn't recognize the EOS R files almost SIX MONTHS after it has been released. What on earth is this? How is this even possible? "Technical difficulties" ?!?! It has been almost six months. Sorry, but I will be taking advantage of the money back guarantee because your staff has proven that new cameras are not a priority in implementing and I really have no desire to wait for you to catch up with the market half a year later.

Markus Ullius

Another Update and still no support for Canon EOS R files. I liked Luminar very much but since I have my EOS R it's not really useful anymore. I'm really disappointed and think about switching to Capture One

Tomas Loewy

hi all... i asked about CR3 4+ months ago.

2 months ago Alina (the Skylum manager) copy and pasted the usual company speak which is mostly meaning less "Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.".

no further updates from Alina, but 2 more months have passed and my sad assessment that this is a meaningless excuse has been validated by the release of a new Skylum version - again without CR3 support.

either the folks at DxO who implemented native CR3 support in their software a while ago are geniuses, or they just simply know what to do, as opposed to ...

Kevin DiOssi

Thankfully, I was refunded for the purchase of my software that is essentially useless for me unless I use another program to convert the files into a DNG...which sort of defeats the purpose. I would love to give it another shot when it finally does become compatible, but this sets a trend. A trend of poor support for new camera systems that are mainstream and that is a very big problem. I don't think you, as a company, understand how badly this reflects on your software for professional users. I have absolutely no desire to learn and become comfortable with a new software program in my workflow only to have new gear I buy not work in it.

THIS should be a number one priority for all cameras moving forward and you should provide customers and would-be customers (in my case a former customer) a detailed explanation as to why you couldn't get it done sooner.

Ed Peters

So Skylum has known about this since Cannon launched mirrorless camera in early 2018 and made a conscious decision to put it on the back burner because no one would care. I care! I have upgraded to an EOS R and I can't use the software I bought! Maybe you need to focus on an upcoming line of cameras and push some of the gimmicky features back ... just sayin'. if something doesn't break soon I will move back to Lightroom.  Please start acting like a big boy software company.

Jeff Robins

Please email me. I recently got the Canon RP and just bought this program Luminar and Aurora HRD for this camera. I just paid $119 and would like it to work or my money back. I don't know why you would sell a program that doesn't work on all file types. At least ask what kind of camera at time of purchase is it going to work o.

Anna Veres

Hi Everyone,

Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.

Once .CR3 file format is supported, we'll let you know.

For now, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your .CR3 RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Luminar). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Alessio Furlan

Anna, everyone knows that it can be converted to DNG.

But this is not the point. I am a photo-blogger and I guarantee that you are losing the trust of many users. It makes no sense to use an Adobe product to convert a file for use on software that aims to be a "competitor" of Adobe.

I am a teacher on Udemy and I did 3 courses on skylum products. But I'm progressively abandoning them because many users encounter these problems and ask me for clarification.

At this point I prefer to spend my time developing courses on other software.

I hope for you that you can find the solution before users lose all confidence.

Tomas Loewy

please don't embarrass skylum ...

by copy and pasting statements which were laughable when they were emailed to me 5+ months ago, posted them here 2 months ago and are copy and pasted in this thread from time, including now..

developers working around the clock for 4 months have had 24 x 125 = 3,500 development hours per person now to implement something which developers at (for example Dx0) finnalized 2+ months ago... so with let's say 3 developers round the clock... that must be over 10,000 developer hours with zero result...

btw, adobe has been able to handle CR3s since camera RAW 11.1 (now 11.3 is current). so if you want to recommend adobe products please share this fact. no one wants to waste time and space converting thousands of files into an imperfect DNG format...

instead of copy and pasting we have asked for all this time for a more technical detailed explanation. wouldn't you mind having your CEO write something more enlightening and sharing it with us here?

thanks

Les Cornwell

Strange it's taking Skylum so long to be able to handle cr3 files - the EOS R has been out for many months. Even Faststone has supported cr3 files for a long while and that's a totally free application.

Please sign in to leave a comment.