Is Luminar 3 the future?

Comments

17 comments

Phil Hurd

Agree

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Jennings

Nearly 2 years wait and this is the result?

No sync with Photos so 2 versions of all images?

Very disappointed

Phil Hurd

I have been a big supporter of Skylum and what they are trying to achieve. However I have had enough. They have rushed out Luminar 3 to meet a self-imposed deadline and quite frankly its rubbish.

Gary Alexander

I can't even open it and judging by all the other comments, sadly, a poorly tested and rushed release.

Richard Harrington

The use of the Library panel is optional.

It still fully works as a plugin.

You can also use Quick Edit mode to open single images.

Phil Hurd

Indeed the use of the Library Panel is optional. However I was promised a DAM by Skylum (then MacPhun) 2 years ago! So excuse me if I'm a bit disappointed

Nigel Turley

@Richard - can I just ask how you can use L3 without the library? - I wasn't aware you could simply load an individual image at start up as you could in L2018, and were forced to create a catalog file when the program is first run, but your response above seems to be saying that you don't have to? If that's possible and I could avoid having to load the library at all it would take away at least some of the problems I'm seeing

Richard Harrington

Hi, you still make catalog but you don’t have to add folders just choose file open and add the individual images of quick at it when you’re done you can leave it in a Quik get a collection or delete it. There are several movies on the YouTube channel about Quick edit.

Dann Lavery

@Richard.  Thanks for the info.  Found the webinar video by Abba Shapiro.  Bypassing the Library feature is now clear.

Paul Jennings

"Bypassing the library feature" which everyone was promised and was waiting for,

just about sums up this farce. 

K.G. Wuensch

@Richard, and where are the edit steps stored for images opened in quick edit? Can you save to .lmnr files or are they stored in the database?

Ab de Graaf

I just switched back to LR, sooooo much faster. I stopped the Adobe subscription because of Luminar 3 but sorry Skylum I'm leaving

Richard Harrington

Kg right now they are stored in database. Other options for project files and library exports are in development. But for now all edits are auto saved.

Dann Lavery

As per Richard, it appears all edits are located in the HISTORY folder labeled ".state"

Dann Lavery

@Paul,  I have some swamp land in Florida for sale.  Wanna buy it?  :-)

Just because a software developer has or says they have a feature, doesn't mean "everyone" wants it or needs it.  Some of us use excellant stand alone DAM software that integrates with Skylum software and have no need or desire to switch to Skylum's Library feature at this time.  I'll be patient and stick with L18 and Affinity Photo for the heavy lifting and dabble with L3.0 until the June 2019 (?) update is released.

Cheers,

Phil Hurd

Luminar is really good photo editing software. I use Lightroom purely as a Library System/DAM.

Unfortunately Skylum don't seem capable of integrating Luminar with their own products and Luminar 3 is so slow and flaky that its just not worth bothering with. So I'm back to square-one using Lightroom as my Library and Luminar 2018 as my editing application (along with Aurora).

Nice try guys but 1/10 for effort.

Anders Svensson

Great, something to replace Luminar 2018's .lmnr files is "in development". This is the kind of thing that's typically good to finish *before* releasing an upgraded version of a product. (Although I haven't been able to get Luminar 3 to even read existing .lmnr files, so backwards compatibility probably isn't much of a thing at Skylum.)

Or maybe we are supposed to see Luminar 3 as an entirely new product line, in which case I'll quietly await the release of Luminar 2019 ...

Please sign in to leave a comment.