Luminar 3 is a major change in direction

Comments

16 comments

Scot Hacker

Aside from the general change of direction, a practical question: After watching the Luminar 3 tutorial video I'm afraid to install it. As a user who *only* uses Luminar as a plugin to photos.app, I absolutely *do not want* library management controls built in (I don't want a DAM inside my DAM - that sound like chaos). Can someone tell me: When running as a plugin, does Luminar 3 expose or hide the library management features? Should I avoid this upgrade forever? 

Comment actions Permalink
    Jan Willem de Visser

No worries. Plugin still just a plugin! No DAM inside your DAM...

Scot Hacker

Excellent, thanks for the reassurance Jan. In that case I'll go for it!

Colin Grant

But having a dam with editing capabilities outside of Photos must be a plus. Photos just degrades the images by handing off jpegs to Luminar. Much better work in a decent raw editor and then pass the jpegs to Photos for storage. That way you have one dam handling your raw files and another handling your completed images. Just a thought :-)

Scot Hacker

>  Photos just degrades the images by handing off jpegs to Luminar. 

Interesting. Colin do you know that for a fact, or are you guessing? I always assumed that Photos handed the raw version to the Luminar plugin. 

Tim Gillespie

I like what I see, when I open my visionary mind and see what the future holds. But for now it sucks!

I think the reason they put this out in this shape is because they promised an upgrade by year's end and so they may have take a product that is really around 0.73 and just rotated it to 1.0. It's not anywhere near ready. I wish they would have been more truthful. We can easily figure this out.

But, they have not asked for any real money and the product shows breath-taking promise. Luminar 2018 works pretty well. I think this one will too, but not this year. I will be interested to see if the first update creates a stable platform. So far, no way. I will now go into Luminar 2018 and really learn it. I think this is going to pay off and I can finally get over the $6-8,000 I gave Adobe, only to be dumped on my head.

Keep going, do not stop fixing things, and I will even pay more money once necessary, because this is the only other bet out there! I think I am going to win again!

Colin Grant

Scot, it is true and that jpeg becomes more compressed when Luminar sends a jpeg back. It is the way Photos is intended to work apparently.

Tim but they have asked for real money. L3 is on sale and has been purchased.

Peter Solomon

Tim, I have to agree with you. It feels like I'm running a beta. It's behavior, and it locking up constantly, certainly makes me feel as if it was released due to the push to sell the upgrade ahead of time and deliver as promised. I believe everyone would have been more forgiving had they pushed the release and not force us into a public beta test. I believe this because I am told there is already a planned 3.0.1 release coming in the next month, which is to fix an install bug In inquired about. 

Robert Barr

Public beta testing is the new normal. Sad, but true. It will eventually come back to bite the companies because of user frustration and eventual mistrust. I see it already with Skylum. They kept us waiting for well over a year for a DAM, and then delivered this unfinished product. In one respect it is good to be a consumer because I can just walk away (which I am doing.) Will I come back later? Hard to say - fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Tim Gillespie

I agree with your point Colin. As a friend of mine likes to say, $59 is a lot if you don't have it.

I just meant that with the many thousands of dollars I spend on photography, $59 is not even a pimple on my (well you know what I mean). I am happy to fork over a little development money if someone is willing to take a run up at something so ambitious. If it takes longer, then it takes longer. I would even pay more while I wait.

But my problem is they were less than truthful. And that cuts into 'Goodwill', which is a real line item on an annual report. It matters. And by some of these comments, some people may not even come back to take another sniff.

I'm gonna hitch up my pants and bitch about the process while I wait. But I'm gonna wait because there is really no other solution around and Lightroom and I are scheduled to part ways as soon as possible. Plus, down deep, I think these guys are really trying. They may be a little misguided, but they can always ask for forgiveness.

Just get the code right and this will all go away. Miss the mark, and the whole thing blows up in your face!!! Did I say yours? I must think Skylum reads this stuff.

Raffael Rubick

If you use the raw file as original in the Photos app (with the R symbol instead J symbol), a raw file is handled over to the Luminar extension. 

You should see the „RAW development“ filter in the Luminar extension. If you finish editing the photo a jpg is handeled back to the Photos app. But the original raw file is still there and you can go back to the original.

Colin Grant

But then you lose all previous edits and you end up with a compressed jpeg not an edited raw file. If you want to further edit you have to edit the jpeg or start again from scratch on the original raw. Photos is very poor in that regard.

Colin Grant

I just ran a test on all this and it is confusing - https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360035651231-Apple-Photo-s-with-Luminar-3?page=1#community_comment_360003548531

It is as stated impossible for Photos (or any other DAM) to be able to read the edits of an outside program and I suspect that whilst L3 is sending back a raw it is probably sending back a jpeg representation. However it does seem to work differently depending upon whether it is a previously edited raw or not. I just wish there was a clear steer on how all this works. Like others I actually find Photos a feature rich DAM and very convenient to use.

As part of the test I edited a previously unedited raw file in the L3 extension. This went to L3 as a raw and the raw develop filter was available. I edited it and it has been returned to Photos as an edited raw. I tried to re-edit that in L3 but could not use the original as the option is not available. It seems I just have a raw file! However when that raw is sent back to L3 it is a jpeg and the raw develop module is not available. I am as confused as hell!!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

From what I can tell, when you use the Apple Photos Extension for Luminar 3 on a raw (unedited) image, you'll be able to edit the raw with Luminar. When you save changes in Luminar and return to Photos, the resulting file is a JPG.

I did notice that Photos still shows that it is a raw if you click on the info button in Photos. I believe this has to do with Photos' internal organization in that you can go back and revert that image back to its original raw state. It is not possible to have an edited raw.

If you decide you want to open the edited "raw" (that is actually a JPG) in Luminar again, it will now show as a JPG in Luminar.

I hope that helps!

Colin Grant

That does help Angela and makes a good deal of sense. But after editing the raw and sending it back to Photos as a jpeg (even though it says raw in Photos) there is no way back to use the original. The Use Raw as Original option is greyed out. I can revert to original but that is not the same thing.......but then I am so confused I could be getting it all wrong :-(

Colin Grant

Update - it seems the Use Raw as Original is only active where there is raw/jpg pair available (that is where the camera has taken the pic in both raw and jpeg format. To get back to the original raw after editing it the only options seem to be either by exporting the original or reverting to original. The former sends the original outside of Photos whilst the latter deletes all the edits in Photos and leaves you with the original unedited raw file. So basically editing via Photos can lead to losses in quality due to the jpeg compression issues.

Please sign in to leave a comment.