Highlight and shadow recovery

Comments

5 comments

Richard Harrington

Make sure you are using the raw file and not a TIFF.  If sending from Lightroom look in the File menu or Lr and choose the option to transfer rile to Luminar.

Thomas Mahnken

Interesting...will Luminar be able to develop with TIFF files like raw files anytime soon?

David Youngblood

Richard, thank you, but the file I was working with was a .jpg file. I normally shoot raw, but this was a drone photo.  Anyway, I processed the same .jpg file with LR and Luminar and I cannot achieve the same results in Luminar.  The highlight and shadow sliders simply do not have as much of an impact on the photo as they do in LR.  I sent a message to Skylum with a screenshot showing a side by side comparison of the identical settings  with LR and Luminar, along with the original .jpg file, but I haven’t heard from anyone yet. 

Michael Sonshine

I was impressed with this version of Luminar.

I had earlier versions and found them usable as plugins for Photoshop but not really usable as a base photo editor. The issue of single image processing along with the less than stellar adjustments kept me from using them much, but the new version 3 has made me revise my opinions. The addition of Libraries and the inclusion of the AI functionality made this an entirely new tool for me.

I keep some badly over-exposed raw images that I accidentally took as test files to see how well a photo editor works. Until L3 the only workflow tools that handled these files well were CaptureOne, Dxo's PhotoLab and Lightroom. All other apps were unable to bring areas of the sky back to use, but L3 was able to do so, and very well.

I loaded some raw images into L3 to test the highlight and shadows functionality and they seem about as good as those in any other editor to me, but those images are raw and perhaps L3 does not do so well with RGB files.

Roger Salvesen

Hi David. Your results with .jpg will be drastically different than RAW with both programs. With RAW I find Luminar has better Highlight and shadow recovery than Lightroom but perhaps Capture one is the most Natural.

It may be that Adobe has scaled their tool to work better with both file types. Im not sure but considering their experience I would hope so?

Luminar can really go extreme but I use a few different methods. 

1. I always start with toning the Jpeg, getting the white and black points as balanced in the histogram as appropriate.

2. I will use smart tone to get the general curve I want (revisit if needed)

3. Open up shadows with the H/S tools

4. If more is needed the AI accent in combination with Highlights/shadows can restore lost colour.

5. If definition is lost I use the advanced contrast filter to punch up any area that might look flat due to the edits.

But if you can use RAW these results will indeed be much better! Im going to spend some more time with Luminar and Jpegs but so far im impressed. I will say some tools are quite sensitive and one can "go too far" very easily so I recommend a delicate approach.

Cheers

Roger

Please sign in to leave a comment.