Aperture lib. migration to Luminar 3

Answered

Comments

36 comments

Oscar Lavanchy

I am of the same opinion, contrary to expectations the library on Luminar 3 is not nearly as good or well thought out as Aperture's.

I think that it would be imperative for the developers to do something about this otherwise it will be an unmitigated flop. The sooner the better. Don't be delusional, this DAM is not good as it stands at the moment.

Comment actions Permalink
    Matthieu Kopp

We are a startup company working on some exciting tools for photographers.

We plan to release a first product in early 2019 to enable Aperture users to safely migrate their catalogs (with edits and organization structure) to other DAMs.

If you are interested in having us support Luminar 3, please drop a note on our web site.

Matthieu

https://cyme.io

Christian Poulton

Hi Matthieu

I have an extensive Aperture library and would love to migrate this over to Luminar including all my edits and metadata (when supported by Luminar of course). I also have a decent amount of images in Apple Photos which is another conversion I’d be interested in.

I’ve been using Luminar since it was first released and seen it grow from strength to strength. I still prefer Aperture though but it’s far too buggy for me to use nowadays with any confidence.

Thanks

Christian

David Kaser

I would like to see a way to migrate from Aperture as well.

Bob Legg

I agree with the ability to migrate Aperture as well.  I went to the trouble of exporting over 35000 older images (1998-2016)  in tiff format and only tried to catalog 6000 NEF images from 2017-2018 into Luminar3.  Very slow, freezes and crashes and has bugs.  I don't see Skylum being able to migrate an Aperture library with edits etc when they can't even make Luminar3 compatible with their Aurora. It seems like their promise  a year ago to have DAM library was something they hadn't really thought thru.  Now they have thousands more of new customers that they have promised DAM for and Skylum not in a position too easily and quickly fix the problems and make the program work.  It's a shame>>  the presets and filters are so very good and if the next update doesn't show lots of progress, it will be back to Aperture with edits using Luminar 18.  

Gary Reed

I been using Export for Aperture. The software will create a copy of your libraries.The issue I found is that can be very slow process. https://apertureexporter.com

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

We currently have a migration tool for Lightroom on the Roadmap at https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap and are also considering an Aperture migration tool. I'll be sure to share your request with our developers.

Federico Lazzari

I'd also love a way to export my Aperture Library (i.e. versions and edits) into Luminar 3.

Richard Duhrkopf

I, too, have continued to use Aperture and am fearful that each new OS update will mean the end of my photos. You could really boost the attractiveness of Luminar to me if there was a convenient way of moving over my Aperture Library.

Gary Reed

After using  https://apertureexporter.com for several weeks. I can only recommend it for small Aperture Library. My Library is over 100,000 images. If you have a large or several libraries the export could be a long slow process and can tie up your system for days. My only solution to explore a group images to Luminar and Aurora plugins. Saving the final images back in Aperture and exploring the images.Hopefully one day Luminar 3 will becable to recognize my library. 

Matthieu Kopp

Our solution is a native app and can process very large libraries in minutes. Most of the time is taken by moving the files from within the Aperture library (if they were embedded) to their new home. Stay tuned. If you want to be notified about our release schedule and the path to Luminar, please sign up for our Newsletter on cyme.io

Matthieu

Gene Chu

It's unfortunate that Apple has abandoned Aperture, and more importantly, abandoned the dedicated Aperture community who believed and invested in it for many years. Apple was able to design iPhoto to open Aperture libraries, and vice versa, but now with Photos, there is no such route. You would think the least Apple can do is have a dedicated crew who can code a plug-in to Photos to help with the migration. But yes, I know, there's no money in it for Apple, so why would they?

I'm looking forward to Matthieu Kopp's cyme.io or any other developers to come up with a simple & efficient way to help the many abandoned Aperture users to migrate to Luminar 3.x.

Same here! Just discovered luminar as a potential Aperture successor. Having a migration tool is a must for me. I even think that there will be more people wanting to migrate from Aperture to Luminar than from Lightroom to Luminar as Aperture is definitely being killed soon. Please consider this 😉.
    Thanks!

Francis Mariani

Matthieu Kopp's cyme.io may have an interesting product, but we cannot "stay tuned" for very much longer - Apple Aperture will be killed when the next Apple OS arrives this autumn.

Christian Poulton

Cyme.io does indeed sound like a good solution however the lack of any response or feedback after signing up to their newsletter worries me that this is probably just vapourware. Something, anything would be nice!

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Everyone,

Your request has been forwarded to the person in charge for further consideration. 

For now, we don't have any exact information regarding Aperture migration tool. 

Matthieu Kopp

hello @christian

Thank you for provoking the answer. I just replied in another post that we are ready to seed our first beta in the next few days.
    Cyme.io is not making vaporware 😉

I cannot comment on the possibility to export to Luminar yet but everything is ready on our side.

Christian Poulton

Hi Matthieu,

Any further news on the beta release? I still haven't received any news or updates other than your last post?

I'm eagerly awaiting release of this software, especially if it can perform a migration from Aperture to Luminar

Matthieu Kopp

hello Christian,

Software seems to always take longer than expected....We had a first round of seeding (private beta) that revealed some issues which we fixed. The first "public" beta will take a few more days. I don't want to talk more about our software on this forum that is dedicated to Luminar (except for saying that we'd love to export to Luminar)...but for those who subscribed to our newsletter on cyme.io, we will send some detailed info about roadmap.

Federico Lazzari

I too hold a decade of photo editing in Aperture which will be potentially lost as now Apple launches a pop-up window upon Aperture 3.1 launch, stating it will stop working as of MasOS 10.15 (post Mojave).

Skylum, M. Kopp or anyone please get us a solution in the next few weeks/months or several libraries and photos will not be accesible. 

Goes without saying I am not concerned about accessing JUST the unedited, unrated, unsorted originals if you used external referenced files.....

There seems to be a significant population of past and current users of Aperture yearning for a solution to Apple's neglect of the professional/advanced community that was their loyal base of customers. (Lets not forget we paid for Aperture unlike the FREE, consumer-oriented Photos app)

Has anyone found a workaround (not Lightroom, please!)

Please help!! 

Christian Poulton

Frederico,

I'm in the same boat. I really don't want to move to Lightroom either. I'm going to hold off running any updates on my iMac for now but not sure how long I can hold off the inevitable macOS Catalina update.

Matthieu Kopp

hello,

Once again, this is to reassure people worried about the Catalyna deadline : the type of migration solution that we work on at cyme.io does not require Aperture to launch. We are running it already on Catalyna beta...

Pierre Castonguay

Hey Matthieu, there a problem with Safari accessing your home page. Can't get anywhere on the website. Any news you can share with us? I’m anxiously waiting for your export tool to try so I can finally move my libraries to some other DAM. Here's hoping that Skylum can finally deliver, but from what I gather reading round here they still aren't.

Are you? ;-)

Anna V

Hi Pierre, 

For now, we don't have any news regarding the Aperture migration tool. 

Bob Legg

Not sure when/if Luminar will get that migration tool done.  I started long ago with my 40,000+ images by exporting the Aperture edited images as .tiff files and placed on an external drive.  I then told Aperture to export original Raw files and put them by years in another folder on the external HD.  I then have been pointing Luminar 3 to those folders.  The files from  before 2000 go pretty fast.  That gives me the option to reprocess the Raw files or just be satisfied with the .tiff files.  I have not updated to Catalyna yet because I'm not confident that Luminar 3 won't crash worse than it currently does under Mohave. 

Good luck

Matthieu Kopp

hi Pierre,

It is weird that are having problems with our site It seems fine on my end.

To answer your very last question: the answer is yes. We will share more details within a few weeks.

Thanks for your patience ;-)

Matthieu

Paul Grimshaw

Hey Matthieu,

How are things progressing? Any more updates or timeline for your app launch?

Thanks.

Matthieu Kopp

hello Paul,

Things are progressing well. We are almost ready to launch our first version of Avalanche that supports only Lightroom export, but we added many refinements in the past weeks that will directly benefit our version for Luminar. The exporter for Luminar is on the way. I sincerely hoped that we would be able to release a beta in time for the L4 launch but that was ambitious given how busy we've been with our Lightroom version. Lately we've been adding a much better report on what was converted, and what was skipped as we realized that such a detailed report was very much needed in L4 where some concepts of the DAM are currently missing (virtual copies, stacks, ...). So we are late, but on the other hand, the final product will look much better and do a better job.

Thank you in advance for your patience. As always we appreciate your support and interest.

Matthieu

cyme.io

Paul Grimshaw

Matthieu,

I am an Aperture user — what is the status of that version?

Matthieu Kopp

hello Paul,

We are launching 'Avalanche for Lightroom' this week, and will be taking preorders for 'Avalanche for Luminar' on our web site. The product will be released in early 2020

Matthieu

Please sign in to leave a comment.