Backup?

Comments

7 comments

Yaroslav Kizyma

Luminar 3 is non-intrusive, so its catalog does not actually store your images - only changes you've made, history, and your image collection structure, things like that. For now, things work a little bit different on Mac and Win platforms, but the gist is as stated above.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jan Erik Moström

Yes, I understand that part. What I wonder is, if I create a catalog is it enough the backup the folder I get (it looks like there are two files and a folder) or is there additional parts that needs to be backed up.

Markus Gehlhaar

I'm also curious about backups. Luminar is auto creating backups. But is there any option to set another location for backups. Why should one have a backup on the same drive as the original catalog? And why is the option to manually create a backup, which is mentioned in the documentation, not there for me? There is no File > Catalog > Create backup option.

K.G. Wuensch

On MacOS the Backup of the catalog is useless you can‘t restore to a different disk (the database contains hardware identifiers that would make it dysfunctional on a new disk!

Anna V

Hi, on Windows, backups are located in the Luminar Catalog (Luminar Catalog is created in the User Pictures folder by default) You can change the location of the Catalog manually. 

On MacOS you can create backups in any folder you want File > Сatalog > Backup.

Auto backups will be added to the MacOS version in the upcoming updates. 

Markus Gehlhaar

Oh man. This is a show stopper. Isn't it possible to change the location of files and later attach the catalog to it? I know this works with Luminar running, but this should work for a desaster recovery scenario also.

K.G. Wuensch

Others tried to use the same storage from different computer and found that the database only works on the Mac it was created on - when they looked inside the database they found unique device identifiers, which means that you'll need to patch the database when you restore to a new disk. I know I can do this - because in my company we use SQLite databases for some functions and I thus have the tools available to change database cells. But do you have the same capability? 

Please sign in to leave a comment.