Luminar 3 freeze my PC at 100%

Comments

12 comments

Charlie Russell

Does it eventually open up and work for you? Or does it stay frozen?

Comment actions Permalink
    Leila Evans

Please check if your computer meets all the system requirements listed here.

If it does meet the requirements, try reinstalling the app.

If you're on Mac, we recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

• Download AppCleaner from here (click this text to open link).
    • Install AppCleaner and start it.
    • Drag Luminar from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.
    • Once you've uninstalled Luminar, restart your Mac and download a fresh version of Luminar from here (click this text to open link).

In case you're not sure whether your computer meets the system requirements, click on Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens. Check out this article (click this text to open link) about making screenshots on Mac if you need help with that. Send the screenshot to support@skylum.com

If you're on Windows, follow the steps below:

Uninstall Luminar

How to uninstall an app on Windows 7 (click this text to open link).

How to uninstall an app on Windows 8 (click this text to open link).

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10 (click this text to open link).

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the latest version of Luminar from here (click this text to open link).

Once the installer has finished downloading, locate it in your Downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it), right-click the file, and click Run As Administrator. A prompt might appear asking you whether you wish to confirm your action, click Yes and wait for the installer to load. Then, follow the instructions on screen.

yves bonnemaison

I just do everything as indicated, but the problem is always the same, each opening of luminar the library is scanned occupying the disk to 100% and making the soft unusable.

Piotr Kowalski

Got also the issue the disk i do not use for Luminar and Luminar is not install on are used on 100%, sadly this is an old HDD, but my RAWs and Luminar are sitting on separate new ssd drives. 500mbs+

Eshe Wijnja

Same problem here I suppose. I tried cleaning and reinstalling but this did not solve the issue for me.

All my foto's are on 1 drive (no ssd).It looks like Luminar keeps indexing even after letting it sit for a while. It then stops, seems to be finished, but when clicking on another folder in the library it does that again and it barely functions. It even hanged a few times.

I'm not sure what the problem is here but this happens since the implementation of the library, before (luminar without the library) I did not have these issues. Maybe it doesn't do this when all files are on a SSD?

John Barton

Exactly the same problems as Eshe above.

Going back to 2018 for now.

Come on Skylum these issues need fixing, it' not just an isolated problem

Angela Andrieux

We released a patch on December 29, 2018. If you haven't already, please install it. You can find more information and download links here.

You can also visit the News & Updates section of the forum to read the Luminar 3 Update From Support.

If you’ve encountered a problem not listed please file a support ticket at https://www.skylum.com/support. Thanks in advance!

Julien Bøuz

Hi everyone !

Can we expect this issue to be fixed soon ? It's been 7 months since the original post on this thread and still it seems Luminar 3 is not quite well optimized yet. I checked my system and it meets the requirements. It's actualy higher than the minimum required. Still it freezes and pushes my CPU at full load all the time with just basic adjustments (no masks, filters, etc.) It's a shame I wanted to switch from lightroom to luminar mainly for performance issues... 

My computer is up to date, I have a brand new SSD and just purchased Luminar 3 so my version of the software coudn't be fresher...

Thanks in advance.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Julien! Could you specify if Luminar always behaves like that or in particular cases? Do You have a big catalog?

Julien Bøuz

Hi ! I noticed it happens every time I switch from one photo to another. Loading the settings feels heavy even when the photo is unedited. 

I have around 1200 RAW photos in my catalog (Canon .CR2 files) on my laptop. This the one I have trouble with. My desktop PC seems to handle Luminar 3 just fine but it's a beast...

Terry Rogers

Hi Julien! Please try to create a new Luminar catalog through File > Catalog > New and see if working with a few images still freezes your Luminar. If nothing helps, please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Julien Bøuz

Hi ! Thanks for the advises Nastia and Terry. I'll try that and see if there is any improvments. I'll keep you informed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.