Luminar 3 Stuck on splash screen

Comments

41 comments

Robert Simoneau

I installed Luminar 3 on my Windows machine and added 27,402 photo. The splash screen shows for almost 3 minutes before the application opens. Maybe give it more time? I know this is unsat, but just curious if wanting will help you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bruno Choi

it works but takes almost 5 mins.. 🙈

Eric Leroy

J'ai windows 8.1 est je rencontre le même problème, j'en arrive à la même conclusion très décevant et frustrant !

Larry Boshell

So far, unusable. Hangs at splash screen. Worked first time after, but even then fussed about my activation code, copied from mail. It finally worked, once. It found my picture files, but hangs without changing. I have uninstalled 4 or 5 times. No good. My lap top has dedicated dedicated Nvida, Geoforce 1050 video adapter, works fine with PS and LR. How long is it going to take to get an answer and solution from Skylum? My laptop is a 14 month old Lenovo 720 with hi res screen and 16 ram. I got my money back about a year ago when it turned out the program was't on par with the Macks. Soposed it might be now, but may be not, PLEASE Help, Would like to give the library feature a real go.

Rainer Wagner

Luminar bleibt auch bei mir hängen. Es dauert mehr als 5 Minuten bis zum Start

Ricky Kwan

I am having the same issue. I have around 6tb of photos on my NAS. I allowed Luminar 3 to build the catalog when the software first launches. The catalog process was successful but I am unable to launch the program again (hangs on splash screen).

I am running win 10 1803

Renato Richina

Did you wait long enough? Mine is using 8:30 minutes to launch (with only splash screen displayed) after importing my 220'000+ photos....

Robert Mathews

Same here, also on Windows 10 x64, but v1803. There's activity on the Luminar entry in Task Manager, and the CPU values are changing, so it's not frozen. It's just not loading.

D Fairhead

Exactly the same experience here. Will not start again and stays stuck on the splash screen. Still waiting for support@skylum to get back to me.

Adrian Evans

yup same here

AL HERMS

What a disappointment. Spends hours building a library, then on next restart gives database initialization error and hangs at the splash screen.

J.G. Ryder

Any solution

Charlie Russell

I have the same problem - it never runs just shows the splash screen

James Champagne

same here on laptop asus rog i7 16g ram gforce gtx 965m

Wenxin He

I have the same issue. It is very slow. Please wait for few minutes to see the actual Window.

In addition, it doesn't show the thumbnails correctly and loading each photo extremely slow.

My ACDSee is 10x faster than that.

I'm extremely disappointed! I have to stick with Luminar 2018 even it can only handle one file at a time.

BTW, the catalog is not even a database. It is a bunch of folders on your machine.

My catalog folder has 35,253 folders. No wonder it is so slow. The program was created by some amateur programmers who may be good at image processing but don't understand how computer software works.

Leila Evans

@David Ford @Larry Boshell @Ricky Kwan - Do you get any error message?

@AL HERMS - "database initialization error" is a known issue that occurs due to bad EXIF data in the photos that are being imported into Luminar. We'll release a hotfix for it soon.

In order to get Luminar up and running while we fix everything, follow these steps:

1. Reboot your computer.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for Luminar Catalog folder, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.
    4. Start Luminar. This time it should open without errors.
    5. When adding an image folder to your Luminar catalog, specify another folder with photos (not the one you pointed Luminar to before encountering the error).

@Wenxin He - The speed of the app could depend on a variety of factors: your hardware, size of files, files' format etc. Please ensure that your computer meets the system requirements posted here. I assure you, that catalog is a database. It's located in your Pictures folder by default if you didn't change its location. Luminar 3 caches the thumbnails of the images so it can take some time until Luminar 3 generated the previews for all of your files. 

Gerard Janssen

I removed the catalog This morning and now add the folders that I want to work on. It is now working, not perfect but it still works.

Ricky Kwan

I do not get any error msgs. It just hangs on the splash screen. I see some network activity for Luminar 3 under task manage whenLuminar 3 hangs at the splash screen.

I am also using ACDSEE Pro 2018 and I have no issues with the catalog of my 6tb worth of photos. ACDSEE launches within 5 secs.

I was hoping that Luminar 3 can be viable replacement for ACDSEE. There is no point of using Luminar 3 if we cannot use the catalog function.

D Fairhead

I see that Luminar 2018 required 1.21GB to install, but Luminar 3 requires only 678MG - about half the size. Anything missing? Or just an efficiency gain.

Renato Richina

@leila evans : but you are aware at Skylum, that L3 is UNUSABLE, if you have a few tausend pictures in the library? I mean it's joke to wait 8-9 minutes for a program to open. There has to be somewhere a really bug. And when I read the forum, dozen of people complain about it. 

Wenxin He

@Leila Evans

Here is my PC

Windows 10 with i7 4790K 16GB memory. System disk is Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD.

If this machine is not good enough, I don't know what to use.

Regarding the catalog files, databas usually don't manage data by folder. It is too easy to break and perform very badly. Lightroom and ACDSee all use database with a small set of files only. It would be a nightmare to backup the catalog files.

I know Skylum maybe in panic mode now as the complaint waves come. 

Please let the management team know, customers want a working product NOT a pre-BETA software.

David Ford

@Leila Evans Thanks, I had worked out that solution on the fourth install! It now runs - sort of. However, the program is not fit for purpose - it is very slow, unpredictable, and missing very basic functionality. For example, I use Export to save a file into another folder in the Luminar catalogue and it doesn't show up in Luminar until I close and reopen the program. So Luminar is not even keeping track of its own files properly.

Vic Chapman

Same problem here. Can't get past the splash screen however long I wait and nothing showing in Task manager. I've waited to use this since I first installed Luminar when it appeared. Not used it until now and now I can't! Absolute rubbish.

Charlie Russell

In my case, the issue was that I set the program to look at a folder that had a large number of photos (around 30,000). I followed the instructions in various posts here and deleted the Luminar catalog folder, then restarted. I then pointed the program to work on a folder that didn't have a large number of photos. That resolved the issue with the splash screen. Of course, that limits the photos I can work with. So I export the ones I want to work with from Lightroom into the luminar folder I set up, work with it there, then import it back to Lightroom. Not a great workaround...

Robert Mathews

@Vic, Luminar is almost certainly listed in Task Manager, but you have to 1) click "More details" at the bottom left of Task Manager, and once you do that, scroll down to Background processes. (See screen shot.) It'll be there for several minutes to a couple hours, until it finishes cataloging everything. I was assured today by Skylum Support they have a hot fix nearly ready to deploy that fixes this.

Vic Chapman

I left it loading (I assumed it was loading) and it eventually opened about 35 minutes later with 36,000 files. It's a good thing I only loaded a few years Fuji X files. I'll open it again tomorrow to see if the boffins have their hot fix ready.

All you guys thinking it's frozen can be forgiven but it isn't. Open it but do no more - then open something else to work on or a web page and pop back to see if it's open every 5-10 mins. Eventually it will open.

Robert Mathews

That's my experience too, Vic. It took over 2 hours to initially catalogue my 40,000+ files (the catalog is on an SSD but the photos aren't). After they were finally in the Luminar database, now it takes 5 minutes to open and another 2 minutes for the thumbnails to appear and the program become usable. I have 3 locations catalogued so far, and if I had one other than the large one selected when I closed the program, it still takes 5 minutes to start, but doesn't take as long to display the thumbnails.

Wenxin He

I'm pretty sure the slowness was caused by the PreviewCache folder and its sub-folders. As a programmer, I know it is a bad idea to let the OS to handle all the small files. I just deleted the catalog folder and added only one folder. It is much faster now.

Can you imagine deleting the cache folder took about 4 minutes? If you want to load files from folders all over the places, it will take forever to find all of them and load them into the program.

If there is no fundamental database redesign, I don't see any significant improvement in the near future.

Maxwell Debbas

Same here.  Stuck on splash screen.  Also took over 14 hours to build the catalog for some reason.

Never been able to open the program since the catalog was built.

Darren Neupert

I am so glad I found this thread.  I too had the same problem of the program hanging on the splash screen.  I deleted my library folder as directed above. It had over 4000 files and folders inside which took several minutes to delete.  Fortunately, I can still open an individual image file without having to create a library first.  I won't be creating a library until this issue is fixed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.