Luminar 3 - the most over hyped software of the decade??

Comments

12 comments

Ed Dumas

What I am doing is catalog and most photo edits in LR , WHEN I see a photo I think I want to use some unique tools in Luminar I will copy RAW to sub folder in LR catalog then manually open it in luminar, really mot much more than plugin nature

I am VERY disappointed that I cannot use same catalog on 2 computers with all files and catalog on my ext SSD - I DO THIS EASILY WITH LR, so value of luminar 3 is not much to me now

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Bodle

Isn't it a possible way forward to have the catalogue library as a seperate program from Luminar?
    Ps On menu, show workspace comes up with an empty folder in appdata.. the workspace is elsewhere....

Sergi Gallén García

A VERY disgruntled Luminar user

michael durkin

This ghastly mistake, never to work properly as far as windows users are concerned, has to be withdrawn from the windows version of Luminar 3 forthwith, otherwise it will do untold harm to the product.

Michael Bodle

I havn't got millions of photos but trying to use Lum3 wasted so much time, due to crashes and database problems, so am trying the opensource Digikam DAM,  Photoshop 6 and Lum2018... seems ok.

Wing Tam

Luminar 3's DAM is broken. Use it if you have a small collection of images.

It feels like, Skylum are the Bethesda of image processing software. And Luminar 3 is Fallout 76. Enough said!

David John

should not have to update buy new hardware to run a dis-functional piece of software. Luminar 3 is like slow-moving molasses! Very disappointed... I use Topaz Studio, Ps CC 2019, and On1 RAW 2018, all will load/use much quicker without the excuses or need to change my existing hardware/laptop evn with external drives! 

Collin Moore

I'm honestly surprised how little impressions there has been about Luminar 3 from all the major photography youtubers and blogs. All those affiliate bonuses hyping the products, but nothing actually talking about its faults...

Ed Dumas

Yeah Collin,

I have replied with issues thru-out year to some of the so called luminar review blogs on YouTube, It is pure sales BS for all the Newbies who just want a simple editor for their new camera, thankfully I got 2018 cheap and can just tryout this 2019 bloat of a catalog software. Not even close to reliability of LR 6...

Simone Fumasoli

Let alone the expensive LR, Capture One and company... this is not even close to the reliability of some OPEN and FREE software like RawTherapee, or Darktable, or the already mentioned DigiKam. 

And I still have to read a word from the Skylum team on all of this.

Denis Kotsee

Hi everyone. Right now we're working to address the issues we discovered in Luminar 3 over the past two weeks. There will be two updates soon:

• 3.0.1 to address crashes and the most urgent issues by the end of this month.
    • 3.1.0 to address performance and stability issues in the end of January - beginning of February.

Here is a thread where we listed the most frequently reported issues and solutions / timeline for fixes:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360035146612-Luminar-3-Update-From-Support-Team

We'll be posting more updates like this on the forum.

Here's a roadmap for Luminar where you can see our plans for the future: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Sorry our response time is a bit longer than usual, we're working through all the messages and comments we've received, and there's a lot: you can be sure that we'll address every single one of them.

(I personally take the Bethesda reference as a compliment, even though the games they release are buggy until the first patch or two, they're still great)

Dennis Alden

Hi Denis,

That is all very well BUT the fact remains that Skylum released software that would not be classed as suitable for an Alpha release in my company, and there seems no acceptance on Skylum's part that this is totally unacceptable - in fact the links are still active to download this software even though you know it is totally not fit for purpose - a morally questionable stance IMHO.

As a minimum your QA team (if you have such an entity - I have my doubts) should be testing against an image catalog of a MINIMUM of 100K images if you expect this software to be a credible professional product - Lightroom does this with ease on my machine so if you wish to be a 'Lightroom Killer' you MUST do this also. On the other hand if you want this product to be aimed at hobby photographers with a few thousand images your marketing should clearly state this.

I think the reason most people are upset is that they desperately WANT Skylum to succeed - it is in all our interests - but Skylum's management seem to treat their user base as cash cows to finance the development and then treat them with contempt by releasing substandard software - that not only doesn't work it is actually a downgrade from the previous version!

Anyhow have a good holiday I'm sure you will have a busy new year - best of luck!

Please sign in to leave a comment.