Luminar 3 so slow

Comments

93 comments

Luciano Stabel

I'm also facing this issue. The 2018 version runs fine, but version 3 is impossible to use. It takes a lot to load and the response time using the software makes my computer looks like an old and tired elephant. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Ed Dumas

I agree 2018 opens way faster than v3....likely loading all the Catalog previews takes time, also bigger your catalog when you move around looking at photos larger folders have to regen previews for you to see. Oh well 2020 will be much improved I am sure LOL

Henk van Hoek

I think the only way to get us satisfied is a free update to 4 ! After all the struggles it would Be normal !!

andy gray

I echo Luciano..........I am continuing to use 2018 version fine for raw, whereas the luminar 3 is way to slow with raw as to be of use.......very very sad.

dxo photolab 2 is my alternative and edits raw as quick as jpg....come on skylum, sort this out....in beta testing

Manos Peponas

Terribly slow!!! Hey guys do something!!! Luminar 2018 is by far better than Luminar 3.

Richard van Laanen

I have installed Luminar 3 on both a Mac and a Windows PC. Same problem on both platforms. Slow to build catalog, slow starting, no as smooth as Luminar 2018. I bought Luminar 2018, so the upgrade is free of charge, but I am sticking to Lightroom with Luminar 2018 as plugin.

Angela Andrieux

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues in the end of January - beginning of February.

Jon Cowdock

Thank you @Roy Norton and @Mario Kober, this is very helpful guidance from each of you.  I'll download both the Affinity and DxO trials and lose myself in 30 days of processing and editing.

Luminar still has the best and most intuitive workflow for me, so it is such a shame they can't get their act together on performance issues.  I also didn't like the direction of travel for version 4.  Where's the fun and creativity in clicking 'quick fix' AI buttons?  I want to create my own images in my own style!

Ed Dumas

Yeah, I bought 2018 yr ago too, F**king upgrade is worse than last version...Skylum ain't stupid they KNOW it is like this, Is all about the $$$$$ for the newbies who are new to the photo editing world, thier "Looks" are quick fix for rookies   

Kuntal Sarkar

Same here, I was trying to edit one picture, but whole application is like moving molasses. Wow! so much promise and so little outcome.

Jordan Hansen

Extremely slow for me as well. I have a pretty big library, but that shouldn't make it run this slow. they need to fix this asap. I had no problems with 2018, which make this even more frustrating.

David Walls

Same here, it is so slow as to be unusable.  Just navigating the library takes a long time, but when I actually try to edit, it is like a slow slideshow.  Even worse when trying to copy settings to multiple images.

Steve Homer

Just thrown good money at Luminar 3 because I'd heard good things about Luminar only to find it runs so slow its unusable, read your planning an update at End Of January.... So having got my money I have to wait a month to use the software?... Can't even install 2018 for time being as it only offers me Luminar 3 as a download

Michael Litt

Same here,  It is very slow and cannot handle my collection of about 50K pictures.  The previews cache grew from 8K to 65K and seemed to be still growing.   Once it got to 50K it then slowed down and crashed and then froze on startup screen for over 2 hrs when restarted. I deleted the catalog and imported 6K photos in and it is slow but usable.  However once I edit a photo and go back to select it, the colors are corrupt. The filters are also very slow as well compared to 2018.  Major memory problem for sure or they left debug code in.  Seen that many times. This is not even Beta as others called it.  I think we are the beta program.  They released us an alpha.  I like 2018 despite its flaws (esp windows version) and Skylum has been very good with adding some of the missing features into the windows version. But this is usable and seems like Mac version no better. 50K files is not that many.   If they ran a beta test it was to people that do not use it and are lightroom users who like to play with software and like the trainer imported about 100 files and said no issue, works great. I would like to see their instructors do a video on using it with 100K or 1M photos.  The one instructional video even was proud it did not use much space for the catalog, but mine was over 1G with 50K in it, Sure better than capture1 and lightroom but if that is what is required to be usable so be it.  There catalogs about 3-4G.  I have my catalogs on a removable USB HDD so not a big deal.   Not sure external HDD was tested as well, at least on windows version.. That seems to be worse than on internal C-drive.     

Janus Vollmer

I bought the software yesterday as I read very good things about Luminar 3 in several reviews. Had I known before that it's so slow on my fast PC with Windows 10, to the point that I can't use it at all, I would have never purchased it. I feel ripped off.

In the current state selling this software is like a scam. You pay money for something you can't use. A patch that offers basic functionality a month from now is unacceptable. 

I will never buy anything from Skylum again nor recommend it to anyone.

Ken Waller

Luminar 3 (for Mac) has turned Luminar 2018 into a bloated, useless piece of junk. It takes forever to load, and is totally unresponsive when in use.

What have you done to turn something so good into something so terrible?

I'm going back to Lightroom until you can get this mess of a program working how it should do again.

Are you even listening Skylum? I fear not....

Joseph Morelli

That is BOGUS, why should we have to split up our catalog just because this POS is junk. You sold us on an alternative to Lightroom and this is BY FAR no where near lightroom. You put it out before fully testing on all platforms and now you are scrambling to get it fixed and to put out the fires of all the bad press you are getting.

I am running windows 10 Pro, I7 at 4ghz and 32ghz of RAM. GTX960 video card. 

Ed Dumas

I agree with all the problems , this is a nightmare not worth my time in windows version, Is still really a MAC only software, the Windows 10 version is like something you would buy on late night tv Info commercial...LR 6 I use is sooooo better and have not paid for it in 3 years ago for cheap upgrade

Steve Lyles

Luminar 3 is totally unusable.... everything from loading to editing is in slow motion... not too fond of the interface either .... Lightroom is the Porsche luminar is an old beetle

P TS

It's faster to load at the beginning, but viewing images takes a while - zooming in can take 30s, and applying filters is slow also.

Brilliant bit of kit if you have all day, but too slow to be useful.

I have a new Mac Pro with 16gb ram

Henk v Hoek

Soooo slow , When I use a texture to paint , it's slower bij second....I have an Aplle, newest vesion software, SSD and 8GB intern memory , should be enough I guess !

Henk v Hoek

And the answer to upgrade the pc is not what I am waiting for , and the most of us don't ! So remove the brakes and let it run like the 2018 version please ! 

Paul Findley

The following is only my opinion:

It is time to quit being fooled by these bozos. Luminar, if the features work, is in part a way to turn your photos into something you did not really create. Their edits are extreme, almost fraudulent.

Each example of slowness or bugs will always be fixed in the next release. But the next release just brings more bugs. It is always slow, PC or Mac.

I just loaded the 3.1.4 update and suddenly all of my images were blurry. After an hour of hunting, worrying that it had screwed up my images, and wondering what the white caution sign meant, I accidentally discovered that confirming the location of my Pictures folder on my mac fixed the issue. Who would have thought? There are complaints on the internet of blurry photos. Try refinding your Pictures folder and it might fix it.

These guys are not to be taken seriously. I fire it up out of morbid curiosity every few months, download the latest update, amaze myself at all the bugs and problems, wonder who really uses it, and quit for another few months. I wish I had saved my $60.

Roy Norton

I'm going to echo Paul Findleys comments above. Luminar 3 is hopelessly unstable and slow, develpment has now stopped and the only recourse is to buy Luminar 4, not brilliant for retaining existing customers so way to go Skylum!

Personally I wish I'd not bought Luminar and no way will I pay more cash for the new version after as a paying customer, being dropped like a hot coal by Skylum over version 3.

I've since invested in Affinity Photo, a far better tool that's properly supported and developed, I'm now in complete control of my edits and learning far more about the process so I'd say that's a win all round!

Fred Langer

I quit using Luminar 3 several months ago.  I install the updates each time hoping for restored performance, but it's not happening. I was recommending Luminar  to friends back when it was v 2018, but have been telling folks to hold off since v3 came out.

Ed Dumas

Its like buying a "seen on TV product" made of plastic cheap breaks down or never really does the job...when I want good photos I use LR6 and Capture 1 ....This software is for the Point and shoot crowd...but but but they promise version 4 will be soooooo much better  LOL

Moritz Wellner

I just switched from Mac to PC.

I changed from a 2011 MacBook Pro to a state of the Art PC with 9th Gen i7, 16GB fast Memory and a superfast m2 SSD. Supported by a NVidia 2060. Even on this beast, Luminar ist as slow as on my 2011 MacBook Pro.

As a former Aperture User I alsways thought that Lightroom ist slow but Luminar just kills the complete workflow with its lack of speed.

I tried going through some photos the other day, to just rate them select which to keep. After 20 photos and half an hour gone, I quit Luminar and did the sorting in xnView in like 2 minutes.

Editing one Image and taking time, Luminar is okish... Sorting through more than one image it is a pain. Big time.

I would never have bought Luminar three versions ago, when I would have guessed how it went on. I'm really sad for the positive reviews, I wrote for Luminar back then and the people that bought the software because of that...

Do us a favor Skylum, skip on all the fancy AI stuff, concentrate on building a fast experience and give Luminar 5 to 3 and 4 users as a free update. That might help restore your userbase...

Kuntal Sarkar

100% agree with above comment. These guys are not to be taken seriously. My 5 years old lightroom 5 is faster than this piece of junk.

Moritz Wellner

@Mario : I talked to someone who has access and it is the same slow garbage as before! I had hoped, it would be better but no.

I found out about XNView recently, which is free for home use and is blazingly fast as a file management und rating tool. For editing, Affinity photo looks really nice! I'm faster using this two fold workflow, than using Luminar...

Moritz Wellner

@Mario: Yeah! I would love to use Luminar because they can do UI Design! It is the prettiest software of the bunch of alternatives to Lightroom and C1 but sadly also the slowest by a huge margin...

Please sign in to leave a comment.