Luminar 3 so slow

Answered

Comments

99 comments

Bryan Drum

Loads slowly and looks have disappeared. I wished this product would work out, but so far, it’s not so good. I’ll try again on the next update.

Comment actions Permalink
    Sjoerd Woudstra

Luminar 3 is incredibly slow on my (very fast) pc. What a shame. It is completely unusable at the moment. I have returned to Lumninar 2018, which is the (far) better version. I have also noted that the lens correction produces major noise, which is not the case with Luminar 2018. I hope Skylum comes with a quick fix.

Hans Smits

Sorry Chaps,, I have really tried my best with Luminar. In 2018 I got a refund on the basis of no asset management system but fell into the trap of per-ordering the Luminar 3 based on fancy promotion showing super fast system only to find now that even my brand new Think Pad looks about 10 years old trying to run this Luminar 3..  Even my 3 year Lightroom  6 is quicker simpler and better than Luminar.. Very disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Lam

The Luminar 3 is also completely unusable after I load the catalog

Lightroom Catalog is crap enough but at lease is still usable (that the reason I don't use it even I have a license on this)

on this Luminar, it tooks me 5 hours just to start up the program, and any preview and edit just don't work

and my PC is spec is not anything slow at all
    i9 PC with 64gb ram with NVMe SSD and the NAS is link with a directly 10Gbe network

henry lee

It took an hour to export 9 images. That's ridiculous. So disappointed.

Tina Fraser

Luminar was recommended by a friend. Unfortunately, I went straight into purchasing Luminar 3, which keeps stalling after about 5 minutes of use.

Janus Vollmer

I bought the software yesterday as I read very good things about Luminar 3 in several reviews. Had I known before that it's so slow on my fast PC with Windows 10, to the point that I can't use it at all, I would have never purchased it. I feel ripped off.

In the current state selling this software is like a scam. You pay money for something you can't use. A patch that offers basic functionality a month from now is unacceptable. 

I will never buy anything from Skylum again nor recommend it to anyone.

Angela Andrieux

We released a patch on December 29, 2018. If you haven't already, please install it. You can find more information and download links here.

You can also visit the News & Updates section of the forum to read the Luminar 3 Update From Support.

If you’ve encountered a problem not listed please file a support ticket at https://www.skylum.com/support. Thanks in advance!

Sjoerd Woudstra

The link to the patch in the newsitem above ( .... download links here ) doesn't work.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Sjoerd,

My apologies for the broken link! Please try this one

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360036043011-Luminar-3-0-1-is-here

Kevin Myers

I'm just using for one day on a new I7 fairly fast PC and your catalog is to slow. 

Joseph Morelli

With update, catalog is just too slow to be used efficiently. Will only be using the editing portion for adjustments and will continue to use Lightroom for my catalog.

andy gray

Love the filters for tweaks, sadly catalogue is not there yet...well not to fully commit too.

So will use for tweaks in conjunction with dxolabs2 as main software.

Come on skylum....get it tigether

Reehan Hoossein

Just bought Luminar 3 yesterday. And it is very slow, its a shame. I have a HP desktop i5 2.5Ghz processor with 12GB ram.  I like the program but whats the use if its slow to work in real time, upload and export all slow.  I trust that engineers can provide an update to rectify this issue.

Ken Waller

Luminar 3 (for Mac) has turned Luminar 2018 into a bloated, useless piece of junk. It takes forever to load, and is totally unresponsive when in use.

What have you done to turn something so good into something so terrible?

I'm going back to Lightroom until you can get this mess of a program working how it should do again.

Are you even listening Skylum? I fear not....

Jon Cowdock

Ken Waller's experience mirrors mine, although I'm on a fast PC running Windows 10 pro.  I even upgraded some hardware so that all software and my storage for images until I've finished all editing is on SSD.  This has significantly speeded up my photoshop but had no discernible effect on Luminar - each image still takes too long to load and save if the product is used just as an editor, and if used as a catalogue tool seems to lead to complete gridlock.

Reehan Hoossein

it takes 3 minutes to export 1 image of 36mp. erase mode takes 5 minutes to upload. junk. lost my money. bought it for Sony A7iii files. better to covert to dng and work in lightroom.

Reehan Hoossein

is there any moneyback possibility?

Dmytro B.

Hi Reehan, yes. Please contact our support team at support@skylum.com

Urs Stettler

same here. I just installed Luminar 3 after I had been convinced this is the good stuff.

Having watched the videos, I feel, perhaps something with my install is wrong? The videos show a fluent workflow. My working with Luminar 3 is anything but fluent:

- I press Add Filter and have to wait 4 seconds until the filter catalog appears.

- I click on a filter (to be added). Now I have to wait 10 (TEN) seconds until the filter appears in the right pane.

This is absolutely useless this way. Can't work with it. What to do?

Reehan Hoossein

Why there are more features in Mac version and not in Windows version?  And when is there going to be update on fast working version?

Reehan Hoossein

is there any sidecar file where luminar writes changes? like xmp in lightroom.  I post process plenty of images at my own pace in a few days and need to remove / add HDD.  Luminar expects us to save 200 or 300 files each separately every time? to edit later?

Helena Carter

To Everyone - we're improving Luminar 3 performance with each release. it might also depend on different factors such as your hardware configuration and Library size. We recommend dividing your Library into multiple Catalogs if you have too many photos in your Library. It shoud improve the performance. 

We're improving the features both on Mac and Windows versions with each update. There are some differences, but it can be explained by the peculiarities of each platform. We wish these 2 versions were completely the same, but it's not that easy and quick to make all the features work on different platforms the same way. Our developers are definitely working on it.

Currently, there's no ETA for the next update, but we will keep you posted. Please, subscribe to our roadmap in order no to miss anything: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

@Reehan,

We don't use sidecar files in Luminar 3. Instead, your edits, ratings/color tags and albums are stored in your Catalog in state files.You can work with several HDD, but just in case you have multiple Catalogs. The thing is, if you move your Catalog and photos to different HDD, Luminar 3 won't recognize your Edits anymore. Still, you can right-click the folder after you move it to a different HDD and click Locate Folder. Please, note that it doesn't work for subfolders as for now.

Best regards

Joseph Morelli

That is BOGUS, why should we have to split up our catalog just because this POS is junk. You sold us on an alternative to Lightroom and this is BY FAR no where near lightroom. You put it out before fully testing on all platforms and now you are scrambling to get it fixed and to put out the fires of all the bad press you are getting.

I am running windows 10 Pro, I7 at 4ghz and 32ghz of RAM. GTX960 video card. 

Ed Dumas

I agree with all the problems , this is a nightmare not worth my time in windows version, Is still really a MAC only software, the Windows 10 version is like something you would buy on late night tv Info commercial...LR 6 I use is sooooo better and have not paid for it in 3 years ago for cheap upgrade

Steve Lyles

Luminar 3 is totally unusable.... everything from loading to editing is in slow motion... not too fond of the interface either .... Lightroom is the Porsche luminar is an old beetle

Mario Kober

So nothing new? Why can something like this happen? I think you tested the product on different systems with different configurations. But this does not work an a new macbook, fast cpu, fast ssd, only a few images. This is so unprofessional. Can we really hope, this will be solved in the next 2 or 3 month? To me it looks like some serious concept problems in your code.

Alan Beeler

I installed the free (to paid users) Luminar Flex and am quite satisfied. I mostly use it as a plug-in with LR6 but it stands alone as well. If you don't absolutely require Luminar itself to have a functioning catalog, install Flex. It may not be exactly what I thought I was buying but I recovered usability and now have access to most the Luminar 3 tools (which for me is the primary reason to buy Luminar 3).

Sjoerd Woudstra

I have the same experience as Alan Beeler. Luminar Flex is fast and performs as Luminar 3 should have worked. I don't need the functionality of catalogs. Lightroom does that for me and use Flex as plugin. If necessary I always can switch to the standalone version. Finally a thumbs up for Skylum.

Fred Langer

Even with the December patch, Luminar 3 is painfully slow to load and use.  I have abandoned using it and will roll back to 2018 if no further improvements are made.

Post is closed for comments.