Luminar 3 so slow

Answered

Comments

99 comments

• Official comment
    Anastasia Davis

Guys, please note that we are preparing the performance update which will be out by the end of the year. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Luciano Stabel

I'm also facing this issue. The 2018 version runs fine, but version 3 is impossible to use. It takes a lot to load and the response time using the software makes my computer looks like an old and tired elephant. 

andy gray

I echo Luciano..........I am continuing to use 2018 version fine for raw, whereas the luminar 3 is way to slow with raw as to be of use.......very very sad.

dxo photolab 2 is my alternative and edits raw as quick as jpg....come on skylum, sort this out....in beta testing

Ed Dumas

I agree 2018 opens way faster than v3....likely loading all the Catalog previews takes time, also bigger your catalog when you move around looking at photos larger folders have to regen previews for you to see. Oh well 2020 will be much improved I am sure LOL

Philippe Loret

It is too slow, thumbnails take too long to display. Very disappointed ! Each time I restart Luminar the thumbnails are displayed one by one ... 15 seconds for 30 thumbnails. No fluidity. Picasa was a rocket compare to it, Darktable is faster.

If I use it through the network it becomes unusable.

Manos Peponas

Terribly slow!!! Hey guys do something!!! Luminar 2018 is by far better than Luminar 3.

Richard van Laanen

I have installed Luminar 3 on both a Mac and a Windows PC. Same problem on both platforms. Slow to build catalog, slow starting, no as smooth as Luminar 2018. I bought Luminar 2018, so the upgrade is free of charge, but I am sticking to Lightroom with Luminar 2018 as plugin.

Ed Dumas

Yeah, I bought 2018 yr ago too, F**king upgrade is worse than last version...Skylum ain't stupid they KNOW it is like this, Is all about the $$$$$ for the newbies who are new to the photo editing world, thier "Looks" are quick fix for rookies   

Kuntal Sarkar

Same here, I was trying to edit one picture, but whole application is like moving molasses. Wow! so much promise and so little outcome.

Thysje Arthur

Waiting, waiting, waiting... It's so slow to load. And it's soooo slow to show thumbnails on a large library. I thought it was supposed to fast? Hopefully there will be some improvements soon? 

Jordan Hansen

Extremely slow for me as well. I have a pretty big library, but that shouldn't make it run this slow. they need to fix this asap. I had no problems with 2018, which make this even more frustrating.

Austin Lippert

I have noticed this slowness as well. Loading the library and editing photos are both too slow/resource intensive to be useful. This is far different from my overall great experience with Luminar 2018. I am looking forward to a patch.

Paul Pronze

Luminar 3 is evidently not yet ready for prime time.  The drive on my new high end computer just grinds and groans as it tries to load.  I've gone back to Luminar 2018 which I love. Will be waiting for a statement from Skylum on what the time frame will be to have this fixed.

Tufan Zengil

I echo everyone's comments.  Luminar 3 is too slow.  Please provide an update patch soon.  The software is not usable.  

Jon Cowdock

Oh Skylum what are you doing??  You can't launch software that hasn't been tested thoroughly in real world situations.  Luminar 3 is completely unuseable on my mid-hi spec Windows 10 PC.  Whole evening wasted waiting for catalogue to load.  Serious photographers have BIG catalogues and this product clearly can't handle them.  It is way, way, way too slow.  Back to the brilliant Luminar 2018 for me.... 

Thysje Arthur

I'm glad I didn't try and access ALL my library of more than 100,000 images - raw files, tiffs, psds, jpgs and all...

I tried it on a small folder of about 3,000 images, and left it. It took half an hour and then didn't display all of the thumbs... and it's not as though I don't have a grunty machine or not enough ram. Back to using L 2018 for the fun edits only. 

Angela Andrieux

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues in the end of January - beginning of February.

Ed Dumas

Good to hear Angela.

@ thysje I am surprised at half hour to load 3000 images, I have 6000 and most are RAW files, then jpgs My 5-6yr old desktop is I7, 12 gig mem, 2gig NVIDIA graphic card, nothing new. Still loaded my catalog in maybe7-10 minutes

I agree that any LARGE catalog dont stand a chance

Dave Boettcher

Angela
    I was told there would be an update by end of December. It the update going to happen?

Thysje Arthur

@Ed Dumas me too. It didn't take that long on my laptop. But for some reason Luminar 3 seemed 'stuck', so I just left it.  The next time I accessed that folder it definitely went better. Still not as it should though. 

David Walls

Same here, it is so slow as to be unusable.  Just navigating the library takes a long time, but when I actually try to edit, it is like a slow slideshow.  Even worse when trying to copy settings to multiple images.

Aamir M

I am also facing the problem of slow performance on Windows 10.

Steve Homer

Just thrown good money at Luminar 3 because I'd heard good things about Luminar only to find it runs so slow its unusable, read your planning an update at End Of January.... So having got my money I have to wait a month to use the software?... Can't even install 2018 for time being as it only offers me Luminar 3 as a download

Ed Dumas

@steve Homer,I feel for you,  fortunately I got 2018 a yr ago for 50 bucks (about all its worth) I would be pissed if spent cash for ver3 and way it works now

Michael Litt

Same here,  It is very slow and cannot handle my collection of about 50K pictures.  The previews cache grew from 8K to 65K and seemed to be still growing.   Once it got to 50K it then slowed down and crashed and then froze on startup screen for over 2 hrs when restarted. I deleted the catalog and imported 6K photos in and it is slow but usable.  However once I edit a photo and go back to select it, the colors are corrupt. The filters are also very slow as well compared to 2018.  Major memory problem for sure or they left debug code in.  Seen that many times. This is not even Beta as others called it.  I think we are the beta program.  They released us an alpha.  I like 2018 despite its flaws (esp windows version) and Skylum has been very good with adding some of the missing features into the windows version. But this is usable and seems like Mac version no better. 50K files is not that many.   If they ran a beta test it was to people that do not use it and are lightroom users who like to play with software and like the trainer imported about 100 files and said no issue, works great. I would like to see their instructors do a video on using it with 100K or 1M photos.  The one instructional video even was proud it did not use much space for the catalog, but mine was over 1G with 50K in it, Sure better than capture1 and lightroom but if that is what is required to be usable so be it.  There catalogs about 3-4G.  I have my catalogs on a removable USB HDD so not a big deal.   Not sure external HDD was tested as well, at least on windows version.. That seems to be worse than on internal C-drive.     

Jan Morgils

So far Luninar 2018- is brilliant for editing. The Lunimar 3 - I don't know.

The iniitail launching of Luninar 3 is now taking more than 10 minutes. (Well, after it indexed more than 250.000 pictures.... Could you make an option to check for new pictures in the rigtht click menu on a catalog? Maybe it don't have to syncronize every time the Luminar program is loading. Allthoug your ambition it to mirror the harddrive catalouges is a finew ambition, bit for the 'price' I think not.

I wait for a solution. In the meanwhile, I am using the Luninar 2018

Regards Jan M.

Denmark

Jason Klein

This is the one major issue preventing me from doing more with Luminar 3. I am using machines with relatively fast and up-to-date i7 processors and at least 16 GB of RAM. In the case of the Desktop, there is a spinning disk, which slows things down, but comparing it to other similar photo editing software, it is still really slow even on similar hardware. On arguably faster hardware using an SSD, it is still extremely slow when applying filters and particularly when exporting.

In addition to need to speed up all of these processes, a similar feature request that will give end-users the feeling of a speed improvement is to allow the Export to take place in the background. This would allow one to start editing the next photo while another is being exported.

Roger Borg

Angela, what do you mean to"meant to target these issiues" ? I import one! Picture att the time! And export one att the time even if they are simular, and use a very few layers. Its the only way. Are you going to solve this problem and make it better than earler versions!?Rule nr 1 is to make the new better, faster and bugg free👍😉good luck.i like it .but its useless in real world photo😓

Dave Boettcher

Failed update.

James Thomson

Installed update without the Database Opening Failed error. Good.

Modified the location of my pictures to a 3.3 Gb subfolder (within the Pictures folder) containg five sub-sub folders within it and over 45 minutes later nothing appears to have happened. Just sitting there, there's no 'Next' button or hourglas-type display so I'm not sure if anything is happening. How long should it take?

Post is closed for comments.