Aperture import to Luminar DAM

Comments

39 comments

K.G. Wuensch

@Terrence, the only really valid alternative that ticks all the boxes is Lightroom. It even features an import tool for aperture libraries. While the subscription model may at first seem unappealing, it has it's merits as it frees the company from having to do what Skylum and others are forced to do: Hold back and collect worthwhile updates until a time that an upgrade fee is merited... They are doing quarterly feature updates and bugfixes as needed - thus a win/win for company and users alike.

Comment actions Permalink
    Terrence Walsh

OK, thank you.  Not enthusiastic about subscription, or cloud for that matter.  However, I think Lightroom doesn't force you to use the cloud?  If Lightroom can transfer my edits of thousands of photos versus making me do them all again, which is impossible, then I guess it is my only option.  I've nothing against it, haven't used it, just don't like subscription much, and would prefer not to trust it all to the cloud, anyone's cloud. Thank you very much for the quick feedback.

K.G. Wuensch

@Terence, no Lightroom Classic doesn't force you into the cloud, it's optional - and great to have integration of your mobile devices or even browsers - no need to roll your own web server, they have pretty decent safety, more than the average photographer can muster anyway and it helps in oh so many ways. I can for example share a set of images where I am uncertain if I edited too much to a friend of mine who can add his unbiased comments on my edits which then I can take into consideration. I don't now how extensive the aperture import is but I would think it's not going to encompass the whole edit as much of it is proprietary. But Lightroom has a very good starting point now with it's process version 5 and a working, quite well balanced auto function. You did yourself no favor in the continued use of Aperture.

Didge Morris

Hi all,

this is good isn’t it!  Their customers are so annoyed they are using The Skylum forum to promote the use of the competitions software as the only means of solving the problem. 

I must admit I am seriously thinking of going to Lightroom and it is because Skylum has ignored the customers who got them to where they are today. 

Skylum you are stuffing up badly - see ya - I am now going to sign up to Lightroom..

Terrence Walsh

No, in fact my apologies to Skylum as I shouldn't be using their forum, it just kind of naturally happened when I started buying their software and looking for how to migrate to it.  Not my intent, just followed the bouncing ball, and here I am.  So I'll make these my parting words.

I'll find somewhere else to ask my questions.  Seems like all those Aperture libraries would represent a market for someone.  Maybe Lightroom is the way I need to go, sounds like the least bad, anyway.  I see some supportive comments from people regarding Capture One, but I haven't dug into it yet.  Anyway, I'll cease mentioning Skylum's competitors on their forum, my apologies to the company.  But, I'll say this to them.  What a great opportunity to solve a problem for what has to be a very large number of customers, and in return, pick up that many new very happy customers!  Unless there is something in the software architecture that is just too hard to translate.  Seems unlikely though from what I know of software.

And to K.G. Wuensch, yes, 100% right, I did myself no favours.  I should have moved sooner but couldn't find the right path.  I knew this day would come but thought someone would take advantage of that many Apple customers needing a solution to a problem dropped on their heads.  Aperture must be incredibly difficult to maintain for Apple to upset so many customers at a time when they aren't kicking as many goals as once.  Aperture clearly hit a sweet spot for so many of us that wanted more than iPhoto, back then,  but loved Apple's focus on the creative side of the world and didn't want to go Photoshop.  Nothing has changed in my little world.

Older, not much wiser.

Matthieu Kopp

hi all,

We mentionned on some posts that we (cyme.io) are building a migration solution from Aperture to various products (hopefully including Luminar). I won't comment on what we do here but just wanted to reassure people who get stressed about the Catalyna deadline : there are ways to migrate libraries even when Aperture can't be run anymore. This is exactly what we are doing by not being a plugin. So don't worry if you feel you have a mountain of migration work ahead of you with little time left to do it. 

Matthieu

http://cyme.io

Didge Morris

Terrence Walsh

i was not getting at you for mentioning Lightroom - I was pointing out to Skylum how ironic it is that ther forum is being used to promote the competition due to their lack of concern. Notice how little comment they have made here!

i wonder if they have anything to say now. I doubt it. 

Matthew Stough

I picked up Capture One Pro 12 (for Sony) and started playing further after the trial. So far it does an acceptable job directly importing an Aperture library. Granted, I’m using a dummy library from a 40+ count image project, but I’m reluctant to go full bore with my 121k+ photo, 1.12 TB library. I’m thinking of reorganizing by spinning out smaller topical libraries, etc. While C1 Pro is rich with plenty of online tutorials and webinars, I’ve had crashing issues with the latest version, on a brand new 2019 5k iMac spec-ed out to the max, and NO REPLY to any of my crash reports sent to PHASE ONE (the owner company). Not one, and it’s been over a week.

So, like you all, I’m still secretly pulling for Luminar to get out the importer and show us a robust DAM to marry with their editor. If I’m truthful, I really pray for Apple Aperture Pro 2019!

Merv W

Luminar competitor Picktorial (www.picktorial.com) doesn't even require an Aperture import tool. It *natively* reads your Aperture library. (Screenshot below.) You'd think that at the very least Skylum would do the same with Luminar.

I was leaning toward Luminar, but was shocked to discover the lack of support for Aperture-library import.

Five months ago in this forum, Kate Williams from Skylum wrote: "We will do our best to implement this feature. Please feel free to take a look at our [roadmap] https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap to stay updated." But five months later, Aperture still isn't even mentioned in the roadmap.

Skylum, are you intentionally attempting to steer Aperture users toward other products? If so, congrats! Because you're doing a great job of it.

Please sign in to leave a comment.