Aperture import to Luminar DAM

Comments

39 comments

K.G. Wuensch

There is no import from aperture, you can only scan folders. No keywords, no tags, no ratings, nothing is carried over...

Comment actions Permalink
    Didge Morris

Damn! I can’t even see the image files. Guess I’ll have to find out how to see the package contents.

Allan Hise

Would be nice if your FAQs would tell us that.... they directly contradict this video.

Matthieu Kopp

Would a generic importing tool from Aperture to Luminar that would preserve the adjustements made in Aperture (colors, curves, ....) as well as the organisation structure (albums) be of interest to the community ? We are wrapping up the development of such a utility for other catalog types and can envision how to make that for Luminar.

Richard Harrington

Hello. Please drop me a line at Richard at skylum dot com

Allan Hise

Matthieu - I would be interested in that. I would hope you could do it with Photos as well. 

Martin Reber

I'm kinda astounded at being asked at this late date if a real importing tool from Aperture to Luminar would be desirable.  This is exactly what users like me have been searching & asking for ... for years.

I have a sizable Aperture library (btw, all referenced images) with projects, folders, albums, ratings, keywords, color coding, adjustments, metadata and more.  I would like to migrate as much as possible.

Didge Morris

I think you will find lots of disgruntled Aperture users, like me, that have been holding out for Luminar rather than being forced down the Lightroom path.

A tool to import from Aperture and Photo is I believe a high priority for all those Mac users wanting to take advantage of Luminar 3.

Matthieu Kopp

@Martin. Sorry if this wasn't clear from my question, but I am not part of the Skylum team. 

I took the opportunity of this thread to ask about the migration.

We (cyme.io) are working on these subjects as well as more ambitious ones to be unveiled in 2019.

It looks like the migration from Aperture (and Photos) is of interest to a few people and we expect to be releasing some products in early 2019 to address exactly that, while maintaining all the annotation work and adjustments (crop, colors, curves) that have been done in Aperture/

Stay tuned and drop us a line on cyme.io if you want to be updated.

Thanks and best wishes to the Luminar folks to polish L3.

Alvaro Martínez

I would love the tool to export Aperture into Luminar. 

Any plan to add gps functionality into Luminar? How about faces? I assume AI should work fine with faces.

Matthew Stough

Matthieu, count me in.  Been disappointed with Skylum’s Luminar 3 ignoring an Aperture importer!

Mark Bayliss

This is something that would definitely be of use. I'm still hanging on to Aperture because of all the adjustments, ratings etc. And originally one of the team suggested that an aperture import  tool would be part of the DAM release when I initially enquired prior to purchasing the product. So far I'm disappointed that there isn't really a good alternative to Aperture. 

Mike Simmons

I just found out about Luminar a couple of days ago and was very excited at the prospect of moving from Aperture to an actively supported app that I don't have to pay a monthly subscription for. The lack of migration capabilities from Aperture to Luminar kinda tempered my enthusiasm. I have probably 15,000 photos in Aperture, and if moving them to Luminar is going to get grisly I may have to wait. The price doesn't bother me (I'd happily pay that)...I just don't want to have to spend hours or days getting my Aperture photos moved over. I'll keep checking back though; maybe it won't be too long?

K.G. Wuensch

@Mike " maybe it won't be too long?" In geological time scales it won't be long, give it 5-10 years and Skylum will get around to botch something together...

Adam Burnett

Very interested in a direct importer from Aperture to Luminar. 

I think I have about 50,000 or so images and would not relish the thought of importing them manually.  I know Skylum has mentioned they will be adding import function from Lightroom eventually - I figured worst case scenario I would get a Trial version of Lightroom, import all photos from Aperture (as far as I know there are several import option available there) and then once everything is secure in Lightroom, import them to Luminar from Lightroom. 

Is there any reason to think this a bad idea (it may be time consuming, but better, I think, than doing everything manually...)

Just a thought, wondering what people think...

Didge Morris

I am becoming a bit disillusioned with this mob.  I get a never ending stream of emails asking me to buy software I already own whilst still not delivering what I expected should have been included in particular this feature. 

It was marketed as the new alternative to LR and Aperture but without this feature it is well short of an Aperture replacement. 

In fact I need to continue to use Aperture if I need to take advantage of the work I have already done and don't want to do again. 

Perhaps they should put more effort into their development work and less into their annoying marketing. I have unsubscribed I was so sick of getting their hype.

Matthew Stough

Didge Morris...very well stated. I concur with your feelings completely. Why can’t one of the “alternative” suppliers just copy Aperture? Heck, go to Apple and buy the code, and if that won’t work, copy it like mad! I doubt anyone would care at Apple...quite obviously with their lousy decision to kill Aperture. Maybe they would protest in fear of it competing with Photos (haha, sorry, just had to state it). Anyway, give us the DAM and Importer we’ve been waiting for. Editing workflows are almost a dime a dozen at this point.

Didge Morris

Matthew  Stough

It looks like they are not doing anything ~ including reading or paying attention to this forum.

Kirk Osborn

We appreciate your feedback. I'll pass this on to our devs.

Didge, please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will exclude you from our mailing list.

Alvaro Martínez

Time is ticking...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209594

Skylum team, please, develop the migration tool

Kate Williams

Hi Alvaro,

We will do our best to implement this feature. Please feel free to take a look at our https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap to stay updated. 

Matthew Stough

I just looked at your Roadmap.  For the Mac, there is NO MENTION of Aperture Migration Tool (or Importer) but sure enough, you cater to Adobe!  Where is there some indication from MacPhun (um, Skylum) that Apple Aperture is a priority for your customers who are BEGGING for this after buying into Luminar??

Yes. Let me add my tuppence worth...

Dithering on what to do to replace Aperture, as are plainly many others. Looking at Luminar's, and it definitely looks like what i want, BUT....

Yes. Please investigate an import Aperture library to Luminary's. I have 25K images so a one-by-one option, isn't an option at all.

Many of us Mac users were Aperture users, and I know that Adobe's licensing structure has alienated many. So Lightroom import is probably not what many/most (who knows?) would like to see.

Over to you Skylum!

Matthew Stough

Here's the roadmap taken on 6/22/2019 @ 8:02 pm Boston, MA USA:

NO CHANGE...basically, we don't care about Mac users and would rather have an Adobe Lightroom migration tool.  Adobe Lightroom...alive and well in subscription-land, yet Mac users clinging to Aperture, who already bought into MacPhun (um, Skylum) Luminar at version 1, have NO ROADMAP for APERTURE MIGRATION!

Kirk Osborn

Unfortunately, there is no migration tool for Aperture, but we've heard this request quite a bit so we may consider adding it in one of the future updates.

Didge Morris

It Well after all this time it is nice to hear you are now considering a migration tool for Luminar but not for Aperture but Lightroom!.

It has been 6 months since I posted the first post on this forum and all I have got from Skylum has been more annoying marketing materiel about products I already have!

Aperture was developed by you or your forebears I believe without MAC users you would not exist. 

Now you have abandoned the same people you relied upon to get your company to where it is now. I purchased Luminar because I thought you would continue your good work.

You haven’t. 

I will now actively seek an alternative for your products and soon one is available I will change. 

As someone involved in marketing for many years I know that it is very unwise to piss off your loyal customers  advocates can quickly become actively hostile which is where I find myself  if you want to keep Lightroom users happy at our expense don’t expect any more loyalty from Mac users  

I am very annoyed at your lack of integrity and short term profit motives.

I hope an alternative to Luminar is developed so I can speak with my feet.  

If anyone else out ther feels the same please,let me know by posting your annoyance here.

Cheers

Allan Hise

I hear ya... A couple years back, someone from MacPhun asked on the DPReview forums about the features we'd like to see in a DAM.  I sent a lengthy response, which included many features in Aperture that wasn't in other contenders at the time, and additional things to improve on them. There was a lot of "copy Aperture as much as you can" and "here's how to make it better."  There was acknowledgement to my input and even was called "impressive",

It's really disappointing to see basically none of it even on the roadmap. The lack of even considering an Aperture / Apple Photos migration tool is so frustrating. 

I like Luminar as an editing tool, and had high hopes for this DAM. The completely uninspiring roadmap is making me look elsewhere. Unfortunately there isn't much out there, and what is out there is weak in comparison to Aperture's DAM, most missing what I would call essential, no-brainer features. (Hierarchical keywords. Search on anything & everything. Side by Side comparison tools. etc.)

Didge Morris

Yes it is very disappointing. One of the reasons I liked Mac was the excellent editing software. now there is a lack of anything that ticks all the boxes. I had high hopes for Luminar and like you I like it but I am not wanting to import thousands of photos and loose all my previous work. 

Thanks for for your post. Maybe if enough complain they will listen but I doubt it!

Terrence Walsh

Did anything get resolved on this issue.  As we all know, Apple have announced that Aperture apart from being End of Life'd, will now not necessarily work on future OSX versions.  So all of us who were holding out and using Aperture, now must migrate to something else while there is time.  There must be millions of photos sitting in Aperture libraries around the world.

Adobe's subscription model and it's pricing, are not appealing.  It is becoming increasingly urgent to find a good alternative (it isn't Photos) and I thought I had found an answer when I read about Luminar.  I was lucky to have read this forum before paying for the product.  If I cannot transfer 10's of years of photos and the thousands of hours editing them, it simply isn't useful.

Has there been any movement on this, or has anyone identified alternative software to help the large number of Aperture users who should be getting quite concerned by now?

Please sign in to leave a comment.