share catalog with multiple computers

Comments

8 comments

Richard Harrington

This is not a supported workflow at this time.  Changes to catalogs and migration are in development.  Please file a feature request via the support home page.

Comment actions Permalink
    Scott Spain

Very disappointing. The only shortcoming I can't live with.

Back to Lightroom I go, for now.

Daniel Dooley

Any updates on this. I am trying to decide if I should continue with Luminar, but the lack of this capability is a show stopper for me.

Terry Rogers

Hi Daniel! You just need an external HD that you can migrate from one machine to the other. Put both your Luminar catalog and images on that drive and you will enable the workflow you've described. However, you need to do that before you start editing your images, otherwise you will have two different Luminar catalogs with completely different edits.

So, you have to move your Luminar Catalog to your external disk where you will also keep your images and access it through the option File > Catalog > Open in Luminar on both computers. Please note this workaround is only possible if you use one and the same system (Windows or Mac OS) on both computers.

Daniel Dooley

Hi Terry.

This isn't a workable solution for me. I store my library on OneDrive and want to use that to keep it on both computers. Lightroom is able to handle this with no problem. If Luminar can't currently do this, is it a feature that is being worked on? If not I will be choosing another picture catalog program.

Terry Rogers

@Daniel: This option is in development yet, however, we have no information as to how soon it will be completed. 

Daniel Dooley

As long as it is coming I can be patient. I just needed to know this will be in a future update as it is core to my workflow.

Thanks!

Adrian Robert

I hit this issue. I've used Aperture for a long time and am used to just syncing the .aplibrary folder between two different computers and pointing my library to it.  I thought I could do the same with Luminar syncing the Luminar and Luminar Catalog folders. Unfortunately I found the database (Luminar Catalog.luminar) is listing the image files using the absolute path, rather than relative to the Luminar folder.  This makes it nonportable.  I would recommend to switch to a system where the database stores relative paths, then you can just specify where the top-level folder "Luminar" is to the app.  And in fact, I'm not sure what is gained by having Luminar and Luminar Catalog go in different places.  Making the Luminar Catalog a subdirectory of Luminar and using relative paths would mean everything is self-contained in one package that can be easily synced and transferred around as needed.  Please consider this.

Please sign in to leave a comment.