Slow startup time

Comments

24 comments

Les Cornwell

Yes, exactly the same here! I have about 95,000 photos & have the program loaded on an SSD too. My PC is a desktop with a 6-core I7 processor, EVGA GTX 980TI 6GB graphics card & 64GB RAM but Luminar 3 takes about 72 seconds to load. Both Photoshop & LR load in in less than 10 seconds...

Comment actions Permalink
    Vance Zachary

Yes! That's why I am not loading in my photo library which has 90,000 images. I think this edition of Luminar is not equipped to handle large photo Libraries without performance issues. Reminds me of the first iteration of Adobe Lightroom that had this same issue. I will wait for updates.

Donald Cejnowa

Oh yes. Start times are horrendous. Especially when there are photos in your galley.

Renato Richina

That's "fast", mine using 8:30 minutes to launch!

Robert Mathews

Yes! I have 64,000 photos in my library, and I'm in the middle of a launch right now. I'm timing it. So far it's taken 2 hours and 13 minutes. Normally I would consider the program frozen or non-responsive, but looking at the Task Manager, there is activity there, varying between about 18% and 25% CPU. So far it's in the Background Processes section of Task Manager, and hasn't made it up to the Apps section yet. (Not the first time I've launched it. Clearly I had to have launched it earlier in order to catalog the 64,000 photos in my library, but it hasn't taken this long before.)

Adrian Preston

I've got a 180K on a NAS drive and its take an 1 hour or 2 to start - obviously this isn't the way to use the system - so can some one please let us know what best practice is. 

Bjorn Meli

Luminar 3 is sooo  sloooow. I uninstalled, waiting for an upgraded version. Luminar 2018 runs excellent.

Windows 10.

Rob Morice

Yep I put in my catalogue of photos and now it takes 5 minutes to load the program after shutting done.  

SunnzBoz S

I have a Ryzen 1600X with 32GB running under Windows 10. Luminar 3 and catalog sit on an SSD. My approx 77,000 photos are stored in a well-maintained directory structure on a fast HDD. Building the catalog at first Luminar 3 startup took some hours - ok with that.

Starting the software now takes 6 to 16 minutes, I tried it several times. The catalog function is an absolute failure, and I even doubt that the developers ever did a real live test. Same as with the many "reviews" you find on youtube now which praise the catalog functions. These people obviously just tried with maybe 100 photos. To be fair, nobody expected that Luminar 3 would fail so hard at this new feature they praised extensively before release.

I like Luminar 2018, but Luminar 3 is a great disappointment.

H

Yep, same problem here...Luminar simply cannot cope with large libraries. Luckily, Luminar 3 didn't overwrite Luminar 2018 when I "upgraded" - I'm going to be removing Luminar 3 and sticking with 2018.

Jim Gottlieb

Yes, similar issue with my computer. I have 54,000 photos on my desktop and it takes 2-3 minutes to start-up. Acceptable, but far from ideal. My machine is a Windows 10 desktop with an I7-4770 4 core CPU, 12 GB RAM and a Nvidia GeForece GT 1030 GPU. Sure, the machine is a little dated (~7+ yrs old) but still is respectably fast. In looking at Task Manager it is certainly NOT using all of the RAM that it could be, and there is some disk transfer going on. In short, it appears as if the AI intelligence for the managing of computer resources is somewhat lacking. Most applications allow user selected allocation of RAM, but I don't see it here. Seems to me that might be a short term fix for Skylum to implement.

Robert Mathews

I had a theory that the startup times could be related to the size of the folder that was selected when Luminar was last closed. So far, I've got 3 locations catalogued in my Luminar library. One has 365 photos, one has 1240, and one has 40,485. The Luminar database folder is on an SSD, as are the 2 smallest locations. The 40K+ one is on an external hard drive. It takes forever to start up if I have the large one selected when I close the program, but if I have the smallest one selected, I timed it. It took 5 minutes for the program window to appear, and another 2 minutes after that for the thumbnails to appear and I could use the program. Those times are still unacceptable, but I suspected it may provide a way to start up the program more quickly.

To test that theory, I added a folder to my library that didn't have any photos in it. With that zero-photo folder selected when I closed it, times were the same, but that folder was no longer selected when it opened. The 365-photo one was, and it was the one at the top of the list (the 0-photo one was at the bottom). That's another questionable design flaw -- there's no way to re-arrange the locations in the library.

Anyway, I tried.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues at the end of January - beginning of February.

Tom Pickering

I just installed the update 3.0.1 and it took just over 20 minutes to open.  Totally unacceptable.  Photoshop only takes a couple of minutes yo open and that seems too long.  This is horrible! d:¬{|

Bram ter Keurst

I am still waiting to open the program for 100min. This is realy an issue.Using  I7 with 16 GB RAM.

Bizar

Henrik Herskind

For me it takes 4½ minutes to startup. Meanwhile nothing happens exept from the Luminar startup screen statically showing.

i7 PC with SSD, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA 1060 w/3Gb VRAM.

Will be looking forward to the januar/februar update.

Les Cornwell

It seems the ridiculously long start up time relates to the size of your catalogue. As Luminar 3 is all about the library, didn't anyone do any beta testing with a large enough catalogue??

After the 3.0.1 update it now takes even longer to open so Luminar is currently all but unusable.

I'll see if it really does improve with the end of Jan update but if not, I'm wasting no more time on it; it's still very far from being a Lightroom alternative.

Mark Babbitt

How about only 4500 photos... over 5 minutes and then CRASH! This is my 3rd re-install after Cleaning my registry and installing the "update".  Here is my RIG:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: Z97X-SLI
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/17/14 11:05:11 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16246MB RAM
    Page File: 6822MB used, 25807MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Mitchell Rothenberg

My Luminar 3 takes 10 to 20 minutes to open on my Mac. I thought LR was slow!  It is basically unusable. It seems like a complete waste of money. I waited over a year for the library option and it is horrible. The recent update to 3.0.1 made it even slower if that is possible. Complete junk.

Donald Higgins Jr

Same here - i7 HP laptop. 16 GB RAM, 7200 RPM HD - when I first installed Luminar 3 the splash screen just sat there - after many minutes I used the Apps Control Panel and uninstalled. Installed it again - this time let it take over 20 minutes to build the catalog. Then every time I try and start Luminar 3 it takes forever to load the catalog.

Has anyone also noticed that on Luminar 2018 for the PC that saving files is a slow process. For me, every time I try to save a file (as a TIFF or other format) it causes the application to temporarily freeze while it tries to locate the directory structure of my drives?

This appears to be a common problem they have with utilizing and reading file and directory structures. Does anyoe have the same experience on a Macintosh / Apple computer?

Tom Pickering

Because of the DAM related slow down issues, that may or may not be sufficiently dealt with with 3.1 in a month, it has been suggested to delete the current catalog, create a directory containing only one image file, open Luminar 3 and point it to that directory.  This should allow the edit and export portions of the program to operate fairly normally.  We should also avoid use of the AI tools until 3.1 has been released.

If Skylum had run a normal Alpha and Beta program before releasing 3.0, we might have had something usable (unless, like me, you're a Windows user).  Their refusal to employ their user community to police the bugs has caused so many to lose faith and rightly so.  They claim it's only 6% of users that are experiencing issues, but that means only 6% are complaining.  Sad for a company to oversell and underdeliver with reckless disregard for the consequences. d:¬{(

Les Cornwell

It's incredible to think that Skylum would release Luminar 3 the main point of which was a library without actually testing it on a reasonable sized catalogue.

Even before this update it was nowhere near a replacement for Lightroom and as it is it is completely unusable for most. I'm close to uninstalling it and cutting my losses. Lightroom is just so superior & faster. Oh and it actually works!

Tom Pickering

Those are typically paid reviews and using a pre-release version that isn't subject to the problems of the live release.

Gary Hunt

Very slow.  Nothing this bad.  It has it good points and they miss on a couple of tools I think are essential.  I will never be able to use the way I want without an Edge Detection tool.  I'll keep it since I paid for it but will not pay for any upgrades they may offer at a cost until they get it.

Please sign in to leave a comment.