Single library accessed via multiple macs?

Comments

21 comments

Christian Poulton

I have exactly the same question and setup. Ideally the library would be stored in the iCloud so accessible by both iMac & MacBook Pro. (I already do this for single images stored in a common or garden folder structure)

Comment actions Permalink
    Scott Spain

I too am interested in this. I posted a few hours ago, and now it's gone.

Jorick Schram

I think it's currently not supported to move the location of the Luminar metadata/catalog files. What you could do is move the folder with metadata from your ~/Pictures to your cloud storage (one that's accessible through the finder) and create a symlink to it in your ~/Pictures folder. Haven't tested this though, but if standard I/O functions were used, this would be no issue.

Only thing to note is that you probably don't want to use the catalog on multiple Macs at the same time, as you might get synchronisation errors and a broken database.

Jack Makoszewski

@Jorick Thanks for your input

My current setup is that I haven't installed Luminar 3 yet. Right now I only have a regular folder structure in Finder with all photos stored per year and date so not sure how this would impact setting up Luminar and the metadata file?

Regarding workflow, I don't see how I would ever access the catalog simultaneously from different computers. I envision that travelling on the road, I would move photos around, tag them, edit them, etc. and I would envision that being back home this changed would be reflected/synced in the background on the iMac and reflected in the library view on said computer.

Jorick Schram

Turns out you can create multiple catalogs and pick where you want to store them. If you were to put a catalog in a synchronised folder, that would probably work.

Jack Makoszewski

@Jorick - Thanks, will try this over Christmas 

Scott Spain

This doesn't work. I put all my photos in:

Dropbox/Luminar Photos/

And I put my catalog in:

Dropbox/Luminar Catalog/

Everything is synced, but on the second computer it shows offline file errors on every folder and every image. What is strange is that the catalog knows they're there. I can export just fine. I can "Show in Finder" just fine. I can even make most edits (no crop tool). But I'm still getting the exclamation points.

If anyone discovers a workaround that works, please let us all know.

KloPapa

Im trying something similar but even more crazy: Use Luminar on MacOS and Windows with the same catalogue. With Lightroom this worked quite good, shared via Google Drive

Scott Spain

That's an interesting twist. Good luck.

FWIF, I did the same thing with Lightroom for years too. Worked fine.

Jorick Schram

Hi Scott,

That's odd.. perhaps Skylum is referencing folders and files not by volume name, but by UUID. This UUID is always unique, even if you were to clone your Mac into another one. 

Maybe someone from Skylums development team can chime in here?

Cheers

K.G. Wuensch

@Jorick, simply open the .luminar sqlite database and take a look at the paths table...

Jorick Schram

Good point; didn't try that yet. But judging by that data, my guess seemed correct. The paths table has relative paths and references the volumes table which in turn has the unix device name and UUID of volumes:

{
    "kBSDNameSerializationKey": "disk1s1",
    "kIsInternalSerializationKey": true,
    "kEjectableSerializationKey": false,
    "kVolumeUUIDSerializationKey": "C2A671A8-FA69-381A-9078-BF4B8BD3089A",
    "kIsKeySensetiveSerializationKey": false,
    "kMountPointSerializationKey": "\/"
    }
    K.G. Wuensch

@Jorick, thus whatever you try you're out of luck. But with that blunder restoring the database and images to a new drive via time machine after a defect is going to fail. So this is a major design flaw of the database!

Jorick Schram

Indeed; pretty important for them to fix in the first update.

Jack Makoszewski

@Jorick @Wuensch Great discovery guys. Too bad this means we can't access the library via multiple Macs. Sincerely hope Skylum fixes this bug and also looks at enabling access via multiple Macs.

Jorick Schram

Let's say this is the price we pay for being early adopters ;)

Luckily my Luminar 2018 is still working without any issues, so I'll continue using that instead for now.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in responding here.

You should be able to keep your Luminar Catalog and Images on a shared drive (such as Dropbox where the files are locally synced) and be able to access your images and edits across multiple machines. However, we've been hearing of isolated instances where this isn't working so if you're having issues please contact us at Skylum.com/Support so we can investigate.

It is worth noting that multiple computer support is currently only for Mac - Mac or Windows - Windows. We are working to introduce some cross-platform compatibility in the nearest updates.

We will also be bringing back .lmnr project files in one of the upcoming updates for those who wish to work on individual projects, rather than an entire catalog.

Boris Iljadica

Hi, I have similar issue as described.

I use Synology NAS and Synology Drive to sync the Files & Catalog on both macs.
    On the second mac I got the error, just like the Scott described.
    Paths are the same on both macs (same user).

On the other hand, everything looks okay, and exporting is also working fine.
    Editing too..

What is interesting, on the second mac, I added a photo to an album, and on the first mac, there was no error.

I think this issue should be addressed ASAP, in the case of the drive failure, there is risk of having broken catalog.

Leila Evans

@Boris I. - Could you please specify if on the 1st Mac you have Luminar running while you are trying to connect the library on the 2nd Mac? If so, please close the app on the 1st Mac and see how it works then. Also, we are going to release an update shortly. You can wait till then and see if the issue persists.

Boris Iljadica

Hi Leila,
    I am aware that I have to close Luminar on the 1st Mac in order to open it on the 2nd.
    It would be great if the comming update will address this issue.

Scott Spain

Yeah, we're all doing that... Waiting for Dropbox to finish sycing on every device before opening. The same way many of us did with Lightroom for years. :)

Please sign in to leave a comment.