Luminar 3: Location of the Luminar Catalog

Comments

22 comments

Erwin Kargl

Hi Roy, I had the same question/problem. How I solved it:

Installing Luminar 3 I linked a folder with NO pictures in it to the standard Luminar catalog. Having Luminar open I made a new catalog "File -> Catalog -> New" and this catalog I saved to the location I wanted to. After this I deletedt the "Luminar Catalog" Folder in my pictures folder.

Erwin

Comment actions Permalink
    Alexander Weimer

I agree the Roy. The Luminar shouldn't create the Catalog by default in picture folder. This behaviour leds to creating a database with a size of 5Gb at my picture folder by 6,000 images.

Yaroslav Kizyma

Great feedback, your point sounds valid. Will pass it to our tech team.

Thank you for cooperation!

Roy Blackwell

@Erwin Kargl, I had already come to the same work-around after having to delete thousands of Luminar 3 thumbnails from my Windows 10 Photos app and then watch Luminar 3 put them right back. I noted that Lightroom also stores its catalog in the Pictures folder but the difference is that Lightroom does not store jpeg thumbnail files in its catalog.

David Isaac

Thanks for the helpful posts.  I was able to move the catalog easily on Windows.

1. Exit Luminar

2. Cut and paste the catalog folder to move it to a new location.

3. Open Luminar and open the moved catalog (File>Catalog>Open...).

Cataloged folders and adjusted photos show up just as before, no problems.  

Paul Wolfe

Thank you everyone for your helpful info. I tried David’s suggestion and it worked perfectly. I have also not lost any info. I put the complete catalog directory on my C: drive root and everything is running much better. My catalog holds around 73,000 pictures and I have noticed a considerable speed difference. After I did what David suggested I was not able to edit anything for about 20 minutes. My hard drive was running like crazy. Once I was able to edit, things felt more normal. Also the problem with not being able to re-edit a RAW file seems to have disappeared. I tried to re-edit about 12 different RAW files and they all worked in the editor first time round. Hopefully this will keep up. My hard drive is still running an hour later so I’ll just let it run until everything is finished. I am on Windows 7.0. Thank you again everybody.

David Painter

Same issue here...

I'm glad to see the Community was able to help solve this. I really appreciate all the responses to this thread that was able to figure this out. I hope they change this behavior in an update and in the original program. 

Thanks, folks.

roy bere

Thanks for the fix . Is it possible to put the catalog on a separate drive where i keep all my photos ? not sure if it would work .

Erwin Kargl

@roy bere: you can put your catalog in any folder you want. I have mine on a separate ssd drive.

roy bere

Thanks Erwin, going to put it on a separate drive

roy bere

Erwin i've put the catalog on an external drive where I keep my photos, this has worked for me ;but find that lumiar takes quite some time to start up. Also  opening a set of folders takes time too ? would it be better to  cut and paste  the calalog into my ssd c drive ( not sure where ) + would this speed up the luminar startup and work flow ?

roy bere

ps C drive is a  SSD drive

Erwin Kargl

Hmmm ... as SSDs should be faster then regular HDs it should speed up Luminar. I had a "spare" ssd drive 128GB which I installed just for holding this catalogs. On C: it´s your choice where you put the catalog. As for me, I would create a "c:\Luminar_Catalog" folder where I would put the catalogs in subfolders ;-)

Erwin

roy bere

Ok thanks, will try that, just updated to the latest lumiar 3 and it shows a catalog in  C  pictures again you  would have thought Luminar knowing that issue would be fixed ?

nick m

im not confident on a software at this point, Needs so many backdoor preparation in order to work.  They should test before release, not aggravating the end user. A software should be turn key operation, download and use it.

I spent 2 weeks of my time, several emails with the support desk and still the software is not working.  Just a shame...

Two thumbs down Skylum.

Not sure if Skylum takes the time to read on forum, most likely a FB would be more effective

Angela Andrieux

Hi Nick,

We do read these forums and are very sorry that we haven't yet been able to resolve your issue. If you haven't already, please reply to support and let them know that their suggestion(s) didn't work and they'll investigate further.

Paolo Pescara

Hi everybody,

i tested some issues moving cataloques in different hard-drives with windows 10.

I've created a catalogue in C,immages folder with some photos, made some adjustments in few RAW photos and then I've exported this cataloque folder (with his photos inside) in an external hard drive.

If I open the cataloque directly in the external hard drive Luminar loses these adjustments, but if I re-import it in C without having made any operations in the external hard drive, Luminar maintains the adjustements.

I'm not a PRO but if someone uses working with tons of photos it could be a problem, expecially using external hard drives.

Terry Rogers

Hi Paolo,

You need to keep your Luminar Catalog file on your C drive because moving it to another location can indeed cause losing your edits. Usually, we recommend to keep your Luminar Catalog and images in the same locations on the internal drives, however, saving a copy of your Luminar Catalog on your external drive might be a good idea.

Miguel Campos

Hi Terry,

I keep my images in a drive by itself away from the operating system drive D:\Pictures with sub-folders for different categories. Would keeping the Luminar catalogs in a folder such as D:\Data\Luminar Catalog create a problem?

I backup the Data folder nightly to other hard drives, it would be nice for the backup to catch the catalogs as well.

Thank you,

Miguel.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Miguel,

The most important factor is to maintain all your images in one location and not to move them. 

Moving the Catalog from one folder to another should not be the problem.

James Gerboc

I had my first bad experience with catalogs and moving photos simply because I renamed my external hard drive after purchasing a second one. My catalog was in the default location /pictures. Luminar became completely useless. I tried to "find folder" and retrace the new path to the images but it didnt help. I am reloading Luminar 3 with an update and its asking where to put the catalog. The reason I have images on external drives is I use 2 computers for editing. As I have 2 computers for editing (iMac & MacBook) I am now thinking the catalog should stay with the images on the external drives otherwise how will the second computer get access to it? I guess you could have separate catalogs on each internal hard drive but then any image edits wouldn't be shared between computers, correct? Anyone have any experience with this? Please reply. This forum as the ONLY means of support is troubling. I really need to get this very basic problem resolved ASAP or I am going to be forced to reconsider the software.

Angela Andrieux

Hi James,

If you are moving between two computers and wish to have your catalog and all images accessible on both machines, it would be best to keep your catalog on the external hard drive with your images. If you have multiple drives with images, you don't need to create separate catalogs unless you want to. However, if a drive is unplugged, you won't be able to work with the images on the disconnected drive.

For future reference, this isn't the only place we offer support. You can also contact our tech team directly at www.skylum.com/support.

Please sign in to leave a comment.