Luminar 3 Startschwierigkeiten

Comments

8 comments

Frank Born

For some time, I use Luminar 2018 and am quite excited about the possibilities of this software. I've worked with LR before and always found LR a bit cluttered. For me as an ambitious photographer, these were far too complicated features. And then the monthly subscription, which is actually an annual subscription. Luminar 2018 was just fine with me. When the library upgrade was promised, I was very excited. Now it is there and of course I instantly installed it.

Unfortunately not only once. On my photo desktop PC with Intel i5 3.2 Ghz and 8GB RAM and 64bit processor the first 3 installations froze after 3 hours! just a. An Abruch meant that no database was detected. Probably because no proper degree has taken place. So the folder Luminar Catalog deleted and restarted. Everything back to zero and the whole thing over again. 11000 photos contained the first folder. This is what Luminar has swallowed again and again. I do not know if it was the number of files or files that were not photos inside the folder. I will not find out because there is simply no error message.

But you can see very well that the PC comes to its limits when Luminar 3 processes a folder with many subfolders. The HDD is used at 100% and the RAM is 95% -97% hijacked. One command is too much and everything hangs up, which leads us back to the beginning.

Now I have found a workaround.

I do not load all folders into the database at once. But always nice in appetizers to 4000 files. Something like that. This works wonderfully. Luminar 3 is ready before the RAM runs out. The HDD is then still used to 100% and nothing more to use. The loading takes only 3 minutes.

But that will probably not be the case. Further tests with the already purchased version are still pending. Maybe in the meantime yes an update with a FIX to this problem. For quite honestly with the current state, this software has at best earned the BETA status.

Comment actions Permalink
    Frank Born

Mittlerweile habe ich 21000 Fotos in der Datenbank und es gab seit gestern nur einen plötzlichen Programmabsturz. Der Neustart dauerte einen Moment (etwa 3 Minuten) dann aber fand er die Datenbank und ich konnte fortfahren.
    Wenn man einen Rechtsklick auf einen Ordner macht, hat man ein paar Möglichkeiten - eine davon ist es den Ordner umzubenennen. Das geht auf beiden Seiten. Tue ich das in Luminar 3 wird es auch im Explorer umbenannt. Wenn ich das im Explorer tue wird es nahezu SOFORT in der Datenbank geändert. Ebenso funktioniert das verschieben von Fotos im Explorer. Die Datenbank registriert sofort die Veränderung.

Was mir im Moment auffällt:

Man kann die importieren Ordner nicht sortieren. Auch ein Neusstart von L3 ändert das nicht. Wenn man also mit einem Ordner 2012, 2013... anfängt und dann den Ordner 2011 nachholt wird dieser unten angefügt. Das macht es bei vielen Ordnern etwas unübersichtlich.

In meinen Ordnern sind manchmal JPG und RAW Dateien zusammen. In der Vorschau von L3 ist nicht zu erkennen um welchen Dateityp es sich handelt. Man kann das nur über den oben rechts untergebrachten INFO Button herausfinden. Sehr mühseelig. LR hat das hier besser gelöst. Ein Filter wäre gut. Oder eine Suchmaske in der man *raw eingibt, um dann nur RAW Dateien angezeigt zu bekommen. Ich konnte noch keinen Suchfilter ausmachen. Da geht bestimmt noch einiges. 

Meanwhile, I have 21,000 photos in the database and since yesterday there was only a sudden crash. The restart took a moment (about 3 minutes) but then he found the database and I could continue.
    If you right-click on a folder, you have a few options - one of which is to rename the folder. That works on both sides. If I do that in Luminar 3, it will also be renamed Explorer. When I do that in the Explorer it is almost IMMEDIATELY changed in the database. Likewise, moving photos in Explorer works. The database immediately registers the change.

What I notice at the moment:

You can not sort the import folders. Even a reboot of L3 does not change that. So if you start with a folder 2012, 2013 ... and then make up the 2011 folder, this will be added below. That makes it a bit confusing with many folders.

In my folders sometimes JPG and RAW files are together. In the preview of L3 is not to recognize which file type is. You can only find out about this via the INFO button located on the top right. Very tedious. LR has solved this better. A filter would be good. Or a search mask in which you enter * raw, in order to get only RAW files displayed. I could not make out a search filter yet. There's still a lot going on.

Frank Born

Die aktuelle Ladezeit des Programms beträgt 6 Minuten und 30 Sekunden. Beim bearbeiten einer *.CR2 RAW Datei stürzt mir das Prog ab. Erneuter Start führt zu weiteren 5 Minuten Wartezeit und einer unbrauchbaren Oberfläche. Es werden keine Vorschaubilder angezeigt. Ich habe nun noch einmal Luminar 2018 installiert. Läuft zügig und ohne ruckeln. Können Sie das bitte auch in der Luminar 3 zur Verfügung stellen? Ich habe dafür bezahlt und es nutzt nichts wenn man ein Upgrade geschenkt bekommt was nicht läuft. Ich für meinen Teil beobachte die Entwicklung weiter. Denn wenn hier nicht ganz schnell etwas passiert ist diese Software Geschichte. Das wäre eigentlich schade.

The current loading time of the program is 6 minutes and 30 seconds. When editing a *. CR2 RAW file crashes the Prog. Renewed start leads to another 5 minutes waiting time and an unusable surface. No thumbnails are displayed. I have Luminar 2018 installed again. Runs quickly and without jerking. Can you also provide that in the Luminar 3? I paid for it and it does not do any good if you get an upgrade which does not work. For my part, I keep watching the development. Because if something does not happen very quickly here, this software is history. That would be a pity.

Robert Law

The people at Adobe must be killing them selves laughing at this fiasco

Denis Kotsee

We're aware of the performance issues on some computers, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We have already worked out a solution for this issue and we'll include it in Luminar 3.1.0. The update is planned for the end of January - beginning of February.

Thomas Mahnken

Dear Denis,
    I don't mean to sound rude in any way, but I did a search in the forum for "We're aware of the performance issues " and found 10 results with the same sentences. I'm aware that you must be quite busy right now but when each and everyone in this forum is complaining about a product unfit for purpose do You really think it is a good idea to use copy&paste answers? I'm afraid most of your customers will now think: the quality of the support is on par with the state of the software.
    It's obviously that it is not an issue on "some computers" but one that is by now clear to affect a lot of people, if not everyone(?).
    I hoped Skylum has learned from the disaster the 2018 release last year was, but by now I think you lack honesty in customer support.
    Luminar: great potential, but what did you make of it?
    Get your stuff sorted fast, because in february most of the people won't wait for a fix anymore.

Frank Born

@ Thomas Mahnken
    Besser hätte es ich es nicht ausdrücken können. Es wäre schon schade, wenn die Entwickler sich hier zu weit aus dem Fenster gelehnt hätten.

@ Denis Kotsee
    Was soll ich sagen? Ich hatte gerade mein LR Abo gekündigt! Ja tatsächllich. Ich war fest davon überzeugt mit der 2018er Version und einer Bilderverwaltung könnte ich gut arbeiten. Gestern Abend habe ich mein Adobe Abo wieder aktiviert. Zunächst für ein Jahr. Ich werde Luminar weiter beobachten und hoffen, dass Ihr das hinbekommt und ich dann Adobe LR guten Gewissens am Ende des nächsten Jahres wieder kündigen kann.

@ Thomas Mahnken
    I could not have said it better. It would be a pity if the developers had leaned too far out of the window here.

@ Denis Kotsee
    What can I say? I had just canceled my LR subscription! Yes, in fact. I was firmly convinced with the 2018er version and a picture management, I could work well. Last night I activated my Adobe subscription again. First for a year. I'll keep watching Luminar and hope that you can do it and I'll be able to resign Adobe LR at the end of next year with a good conscience.

Manfred Dehnell

Manfred

Luminar 2018/ 3 wird als die ABLÖSUNG von Lightroom beworben. 2018 hatte schon große Schwierigkeiten einzelne Datei D850 mit 40MB zu öffnen. Luminar 3 hängt sich dann ganz verzweifelt gleich selbst auf, da mit dieser Aufgabe völlig überlastet. Lightroom starte mit 82.0000 Fotos immer noch treue und brave seine Arbeit tuend. 

Man sollte schon testen bevor es an den Kunden geht....oder ... ist der Kunde das Testfeld...bitte berichtet mal liebe Nutzer was wir hier machen können... 82.000 einzelnen Datenbanken oder ???

Luminar überzeugt mich nicht wirklich, rausgeschmissenes Geld...schade...

Please sign in to leave a comment.