Luminar 3 Installation Error

Answered

Comments

17 comments

Phil Hoover

Same thing happens to me.

iMac 5k running Mojave.

No response from support (reported twice).

Not impressed with the lack of support.

Comment actions Permalink
    Denis Kotsee

Our servers are under heavy load right now, so the installer may have trouble successfully connecting. Try the following:

1. Reboot your computer.
    2. Start the Luminar installer.
    3. When the installer asks you to specify the installation location, note the value shown in Space Required string. If it shows 0 or there's a spinning circle, close the installer and start it again later. If Space Required shows a value, proceed with the installation. You may need to close and start the installer a few times before Space Required displays a correct value (it must not be 0 and show a value).
    Greg Scott

During the install process you are given an option to change the installation directory.  I found when I elected to change the location, the install app locked up every time.  As soon as I accepted the default location, I was able to move to the next step.  It is also possible turning off anti-virus software was a help in preventing the install process from locking up.

Phil Hoover

Rebooted and followed Denis' instructions above.

Still won't install.

Drew Thomas

I was ultimately able to resolve the issue by turning on my VPN and connecting to a US proxy, which allowed the app to connect with Skylum’s server.

Greg Scott

Let's put what we know in perspective.  Yes the installation has been bumpy and frustrating for many.  Catalog performance needs work.  However, the Photoshop plug-in works fine and the upgrade is free to existing Luminar users.  Given many people already use a catalog either in Lightroom or products like Capture One, the Skylum folks were presented with a major challenge designing a competing catalog product that would co-exist nicely with other catalogs.  I like the direction photo editing tools are headed.  Smarter based on AI; better support for layers and masks; better integration across platforms.

I submit the greatest challenge for the Skylum folks is managing user expectations.  A few things I would like to see in future updates:

1) add the ability to easily remove a folder from the catalog

2) do a better job of identifying presets from earlier versions and adding them to version 3

3) add ability to see the mask on the image while editing; current thumbnail is too small for accurate editing 

Phil Hoover

I give up.

It won't even install, plus it is obviously full of bugs.

I don't need it and will wait until Skylum can debug it and deliver a way to install it.

This release is nothing short of a disaster for Skylum.

The negative word of mouth will kill them.

I really thought we finally had a viable alternative to Adobe.

I simply lack the time and patience to waste on this.

Fitz Michael

Same i  got the same issues.

Process: Luminar 3 [755]
    Path: /Applications/Luminar 3.app/Contents/MacOS/Luminar 3
    Identifier: com.macphun.luminar3
    Version: 3.0.0 (2690)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: Luminar 3 [755]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-12-20 18:58:05.176 -0500
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.2 (18C54)
    Report Version: 12

Time Awake Since Boot: 1300 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 39 Dispatch queue: ipq_<MPLum18Processor: 0x7f9559810c30> (QOS: UNSPECIFIED)

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Angela Andrieux

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your feedback!

1. You can do this now - right click on the folder you want to remove > Remove from Catalog

Note: this does not work with a nested folder because Luminar is referencing the top level folder and cataloging everything in the nested folders.

2. I will definitely share this with our developers. Hopefully we can make this part of the process easier and more transparent in the future

3. You can view the mask as you work by clicking on the Visibility icon in the toolbar:

Angela Andrieux

Hi Phil & Fitz,

We are sorry for the delay in responding here. It has been quite hectic since the Luminar 3 launch.

Please check out our list of known issues and fixes/workarounds at https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/360000158652-News-Updates and read the Luminar 3 Updates from the Support Team (to date there are four posts).

If your issue isn't listed there then please contact us at Skylum.com/Support and we'll be glad to help. If you've already created a support ticket and are still waiting for response, please know that our team is working diligently to respond to all inquiries and that someone will be in touch as soon as possible.

Anil Umarji

Same issue in 2020! I can't get to install. I don't have VPN or any kind of proxy. Tried installing with wifi off, still doesn't work. I'm on 10.15.3 (19D76). 

Any recommendations?

Greg Scott

Just to be clear about the problem, are you attempting to install version 3 or 4?  It looks like you are using a Mac.  There is a new OS update (10.15,4).  I suggest you first install the latest OS.

I have been using version 4 of Luminar since it was released and found the initial installation did not present any problems.  The improvements are well worth the upgrade.  I use the sky replacement fairly often.

Anil Umarji

Thanks, Greg! I'm attempting to install version 3. Currently, upgrading to 10.15.4.

Will ping here, if it works.

Thanks,
    Anil

Anil Umarji

Greg - Just FYI. Didn't work at all after upgrading to 10.15.4

Hope someone from support is able to help. Can't believe how this would've gotten past their internal QA!

Greg Scott

Any message of any kind that might provide a clue about the problem?  

It isn't clear at what point it is failing.  Did the installation run to completion?

Are you using it as a stand alone app or a PS plug-in?

Did you have any other apps open during the installation?

Do you see Luminar 3 under the PS Filter menu area?  

Is the problem a failure to launch?

I used to manage a software product testing group and these are the type of questions support is going to ask.  If you have a screen capture capability and there are any error messages or visual clues, I would attempt the install again and capture all relevant screen information and have it available when support responds.

Not that this helps but I suspect support is focused on Luminar 4 support issues.  So it may take a little longer for help.

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

Here are the links for the alternate installers for Luminar 3:

Mac Full: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/mac/Luminar3.dmg

Win Full: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/win/Luminar3_Setup_offline.exe

If this doesn't help, please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you.

Anil Umarji

Thanks, Helena! The link worked!

Please sign in to leave a comment.