Import from Camera/Folder/Card Reader/etc.

Comments

16 comments

Steve Ratts

This capability is already there. In the upper left of the toolbar there's an icon with an arrow pointing downward into a shallow tray (like a "]" rotated 90 to the right). That will allow you to import files from attached drives. If you attach your camera via usb cable, or attache your SD card via a card reader, it should show up like a dive. You'll have the option to select where the photos will go, and if you want to copy or move them.

This capability is demonstrated in the 1-hour webinar released a few weeks ago prior to the release of L3. If you haven't watched that yet you might want to. That's how I learned about this feature, so it was worth it for me.

https://skylum.com/edu/learning-the-basics-of-luminar-3-with-libraries

Cheers,

Steve

David Reagan

I just skipped through the webinar until I saw the option. Then I went to my Luminar 3 interface. The "Import images to" option does not show up when I open the same menu as shown in the webinar. :\

Any ideas on why?

Steve Ratts

I've tried this out on my MacBook Pro (mid 2015) and my niece's brand new MBP. Both are running the latest version of Mojave (OSX 10.14.2). It's working on those fairly similar machines. Are you perhaps using a Windows machine? I know sometimes the features are different between Windows and Mac.

For me, when I click on the icon I get the options "Import Images To >", "Add Folder...", and "Open Images for Quick Edit". When I move my mouse over to the ">" then I get a pop-up window with all the folders which are currently part of my catalog.

Also, have you registered the product yet? I think there may be some functionality differences between the trial and the registered product - I could be wrong about that; but in my case both machines have registered versions of the SW installed.

Mitch Goldberg

My understanding is that this feature is sadly only Mac only and not Windows.

David Reagan

Ah, another Mac vs. Windows difference. I keep running into those....

I wonder if there's a feature comparison table in the docs somewhere....

(Yes, I had registered it.)

Steve Ratts

@David,

There may be another way. When in Library mode are you able to right click on a folder in the pane on the right and get a context menu to pop up? When I do this I get options that include "Import Images to this Folder". There are also options for "New Subfolder" and "Rename", which would be obviously useful in the import process.

On a related note, I found myself in the position of wanting to get files I'd previously imported to my internal drive onto my external drive. It's not difficult to get the files moved of course; but I was hoping to retain the edits I'd done. I'm not sure if there's a right way to accomplish that, but I certainly found a wrong way - in that I managed to get the files onto the external drive but also lost all my edits to them in the process. That really needs to get fixed...

All in all, I think Luminar 3 shows promise and in most ways seems to be headed in a useful direction, but clearly needs more work on the whole library implementation. Getting things working for Windows folks should be a top priority since most folks use that platform.

Cheers,

Steve

Mitch Goldberg

Is Import from Camera/Folder/Card Reader/etc. available to Windows users with the latest version?

alain delebecque

It's available but I can't select any folder of the camera drive in the "import choose folder" window.

The "Select" button is always grayed.

Mitch Goldberg

I purchased as the FAQ stated this feature was added for Windows users, however can confirm that this feature is not available as Alain states, the select button is always grayed.  The FAQ is in error as this feature is not yet supported.  A disappointment. 

David Reagan

I was able to try it, and it worked. It's a pretty bare bones implementation, but it did import my pics off of my camera.

My camera was in mass storage mode. Maybe a different mode causes the greyed out select button?

I'd suggest contacting support to see if they can help troubleshoot.

alain delebecque

Doesn't work neither with a NIkon D810 nor a Nikon D5 DSLR.

Import works well with On1 Raw software...

There is no "Mass Storage" mode for these cameras.

Mitch Goldberg

Does not work (option greyed out) with SD card placed into USB dongle plugged directly into USB on Surface Pro latest gen/latest version of Windows. This is in addition to trying with USB cord from Camera (tried several, Nikon Leica) plugged into USB of Surface.

Mitch Goldberg

Contacted support two days ago. No reply.

Maryna Skylum

Hi Mitch,

Sorry for the delayed response. We have already contacted you via email.

Try reinstalling Luminar. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall Luminar.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10 (click this text to open link).

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the latest version of Luminar from here (click this text to open link)

Once the installer has finished downloading, locate it in your Downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it), right-click the file, and click Run As Administrator. A prompt might appear asking you whether you wish to confirm your action, click Yes and wait for the installer to load. Then, follow the instructions on screen.

Mitch Goldberg

Followed your steps exactly. Same situation.  No luck. 

Disappointed.

Anna Veres

Hi Mitch,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a better way.

Please sign in to leave a comment.