Luminar 3 cannot open Luminar 2018 .lmnr files

Comments

9 comments

Dann Lavery

I've also noticed there appears no way to create SAVED .lmnr files if one choses to in L3.0.  Not everyone will wish to embrace the initial Luminar with Libraries.

Comment actions Permalink
    Anders Svensson

I also want to be able to save editing information per image, for several reasons: incremental backups (small image-specific files vs one large catalog containing everything), fault tolerance (corrupt database affecting many images), being able to move editing to another host (I hardly want to create a catalog per image), and Luminar's hopelessly version-specific rendering that means that the only way to get what you saved in a .lmnr is to open it in the same version you saved from. Luminar 3 makes all of this impossible as far as I can tell. Why Skylum felt they had to shove everyone into a catalog in order to add a browser is a mystery to me. DxO PhotoLab has both a catalog and sidecar files, for example.

I haven't been able to open a single .lmnr file in Luminar 3 (all of which have been saved from Luminar 2018): I can select a .lmnr from File > Open Images for Quick Edit, and there's a progress bar that quickly disappears, but no image is opened.

(Although that I'm bothering at all is mostly out of morbid curiosity: if I can't save/backup/move editing information per image and can't rely on Luminar to give me the same rendering after future updates then Luminar is more trouble than it's worth, which is a shame since I quite like it as an editing tool.)

Mark Burgess

Same here,  Please fix!

Kevin Pei

Same here! None of my Luminar 2018 save files do anything other than show a "opening" progress bar for a second or two; It doesn't even open the image. 

Francesco Marcellino

Same here... many lmnr files just do not appear at all in the library. Also, I noticed that the ones that instead appear... do not look like the actual Luminar 2018 copy nor show all the editable adjustments. Basically, a mess!

Angela Andrieux

This happens to projects that were saved without history and resources. We’ll add messages to communicate issues with projects in future updates for Luminar. For now we recommend loading projects with history and resources. If your project has history and resources and still doesn't open, please send it to us via the form at the bottom of this page: http://skylum.com/support

You can send the file(s) via http://wetransfer.com/

K.G. Wuensch

So Angela, you‘re basically saying everyone who hasn‘t saved with history and resources is screwed because you can‘t be bothered to support the previous Luninar version?

Francesco Marcellino

As I wrote in this other thread

...I previously saved *all* of Luminar 2018 edited raws with resources, but without history (as I don't need that). With the above you're basically saying that I simply cannot visualize and edit all of those within Luminar 3, and that you haven't even planned anything to address this issue other than "adding messages"?!

All this sucks big time really! Especially considering that because of this issue I cannot really start working with Luminar 3 and need to stick to the 2018 version, which you're not updating anymore, saving project files that cannot be opened by the latest version of your own software.

Really?!

Francesco Marcellino

4+ months and several Luminar updates later (just installed 3.1.0), I still sadly see that those *critical* bugs mentioned above have not been addressed in any way.

If I import folders with raw and lmnr files previously edited in Luminar 2018, most of the times the catalog does not show *all* of the files actually contained within the folder, missing to read/show some lmnr files in an apparently totally random fashion.

Some get shown, some not, and that regardless of such files being or not saved with history and resources.

Why this keeps happening, but especially what's the reason you're clearly not prioritising a resolution for such a basic and critical capability?

Please sign in to leave a comment.