Luminar 3 Crashing

Comments

49 comments

Jim Beattie

Only 3...

In two days its crashed 10 times... I've just given up.  Library is a nightmare

Comment actions Permalink
    Elizabeth Brooke

Send crash report to support@skylum.com and hope they get back to you.

Andrew Hewitt

I've already had a crash too, Late 2013 iMac with 16GB, mine happened while doing basic edits.

David Medeiros

Having the exact same issue on my MacBook Pro (exceeds all required specs). Crashes pretty reliably anytime I am simply scrolling though the library catalog (small catalog of mostly RAW files, about 1100). I've posted my own thread here and submitted a question directly to Skylum yesterday morning. So far no response from them. I'm sure they are overloaded but this suggests a significant bug that needs to be addressed.

Wolfgang Jarcik

I have the same Problem, very very often Luminar 3 crashes this is a big problem.

Stefan Van Pamel

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro.

Stephen Campbell

Thank you Elizabeth for the suggestion to send it to support.

I am frankly suprised that Skylum would release this raved about bwq version with as many bugs as it seems to have. This morning I had it resting in my tool bar overnight and when I clicked on it to open it and do some work it went into an endless loop and I had to Force Quit it.

Conceptually, it has a lot going for it; but, practically it is sadly getting shelved until Skylum can release a more stable version of Luminar 3.

mary riley

Perhaps Luminar can comb thru the forum and merge together the dozens of posts re: v3 .. crashing, locking, stalling, beachballing etc.

Jeff Stoyanov

Same problems here - very frustrating and have stopped using until the crashing issue(s) get resolved.  I was so excited to get the new software but it is unusable at this point.

Elizabeth Brooke

It is disappointing that Luminar Support is not, at the least, monitoring these forum threads and giving us all a glimmer of a response. Clearly everyone is finding that Luminar 3 has serious bugs that keep the majority of us, who have paid for Luminar 3, from using this application. What's going on? Is anyone able to use it successfully without hangs and crashes? Can Luminar Support suggest a work around until this is fixed?

David Medeiros

They have been responding, slowly. See the bottom of the thread I posted on the same topic here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360034076091-Luminar-3-crashing-on-MacBook-Pro

They were obviously caught off guard by the bugs the showed up in L3 and being a small company probably don't have the resources to respond to everyone right away. I was able to submit my crash reports and other details to support directly (eventually) and I assume they have been selectively grabbing crash info from many other uses as well.

Sounds like they are aiming for an initial patch by the end of December and broader update early next year. Fingers crossed.

Elizabeth Brooke

Thank you for this post and link David. That is some consolation that they are paying attention. I really don't want to use Lightroom and will look forward to the patch!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in responding here in the forums. Our support team has been exceptionally busy. The following is a list of troubleshooting steps + information we need from you to help diagnose the issues you're having.

If your computer meets all system requirements listed here, try reinstalling Luminar. We recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy. 

• Download AppCleaner from here (click this text to open link).
    • Install AppCleaner and start it.
    • Drag Luminar from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.
    • Once you've uninstalled Luminar, restart your Mac and download a fresh version of Luminar from here (click this text to open link).

In case you're not sure whether your computer meets the system requirements, click on Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens. Check out this article (click this text to open link) about making screenshots on Mac if you need help with that. Attach the screenshot to your reply to this email.

----------

If a reinstall did not help, please read on...

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs. Please email us at support@skylum.com with a detailed step-by-step description of what you do in the software before encountering the issue. You can also make a screen recording: 

https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

If the issue occurs when you're working on an image, send us the image file. Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your email to support@skylum.com

In case the issue leads to a crash, send us crash reports:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

In case there are no crashes, collect the log from the console:

1. In Finder, navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    2. Start Console.
    3. Type in Luminar in Console's search bar in the upper right and press Enter on your keyboard.
    4. Start Luminar and try reproducing the issue. Make sure to note all the steps you perform in the app that cause the issue.
    5. Go back to Console, select all entries in it (to do so you can press CMD+A on your keyboard) and press CMD+C on your keyboard to copy them to clipboard.
    6. Create a new text document and paste (CMD+V) the contents of the clipboard there.
    7. Send us the text document you created in Step 6.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

mary riley

How this affect all our favourites... and our add ons.  I'm already missing several of the paid add ons that were bundled during luminar 2018 purchase ( i attempted to get them again but they are not listed in my software).

phil dyer

Luminar keeps crashing everytime I use it. Takes forever to import raw files. I have 2018 Mac - no excuses why this is so bad

Patrick McDonald

Uninstalled and reinstalled as recommended by Angela above. It seems to have worked. Crashing has stopped.

version 3.0.1

*** Update: Turns out it is still crashing, just not as much. It happens when browsing files in library mode (with large preview and thumbnails on the left edge). Using arrow keys to move through files will crash (immediately close) Luminar. The frequency of the crash has reduced with the new version and reinstall. Does not happen for any particular photo, and the offending photo will work fine the next time through.

Elizabeth Brooke

Since I have installed Luminar 3.0.1, all seems to be working - no more crashes or hangs. I am happy.

Jimmy Le

I did a new reinstall and it is still crashing on my MacOS. I have Mojave version 10.14 on my OS. It just crashes randomly. I could be scrolling through pictures, editing pictures, or importing pictures. I am so sad. I just purchased this software  :( 

Denis Kotsee

@Jimmy Le verify that your version is 3.0.1.

Charmaine Padilla

I just uninstalled/reinstalled and Crashed again!

Jimmy Le

@Charmaine. They are going to ask what version you installed even though you installed the latest available from their website. SMH... It's an obvious widespread issue, wish they stop asking the community questions and address the software issue.

Jimmy Le

@Denis Kotsee. My version is Version 3.0.1 (2751)

phil dyer

even though the updated version is better after 10 minutes it crashes. Getting fed up!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Phil,

I'm very sorry to hear that! Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help you.

Edward Killesteyn

I have just installed Luminar v3.0.2 and encountering same crash problems. The consistent cause of the crash is when I click on +Folder. Once the folder is added L3.0.2 crashes. The only way to avoid is to delete the Luminar Catalogue, uninstall the application and reinstall without a folder. L3 is such a big disappointment after Luminar 2018. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Edward,

We've discovered some issues with 3.0.2 and are working to fix them. (more about that here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360041735072-New-Luminar-update-is-coming-soon )

In the meantime we suggest reverting to 3.0.1. Here are instructions:

Download AppCleaner from here:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner

AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only the applications themselves but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

When removing Luminar 3, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.

Once you're done uninstalling the app, restart your Mac and download a fresh version from here:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/mac/Luminar3Installer.zip

If you need help with the installation, check out this page:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25083?locale=en_US

Steve Reich

Is there a way to completely clear out the old load of trial version Luminar and then load the working copy of Luminar 3 (paid version)?. I/we have not been able to resolve the trial load/run of Luminar 3.

Steve Reich

Sounds like there are real problems with Luminar 3 based on all the people/users asking for help.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Steve,

The trial and paid versions of Luminar 3 are the same - entering an activation code will remove the BUY button, but no other changes are made. However, if you'd like to do a full reinstall, here are instructions:

Download AppCleaner from here:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner

AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only the applications themselves but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

When removing Luminar 3, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3.

Once you're done uninstalling the app, restart your Mac and download a fresh version from here:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/mac/Luminar3Installer.zip

If you need help with the installation, check out this page:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25083?locale=en_US

Gilles Rousel

Recently bought Luminar and having the same issues.

When booting Luminar for the first time I have no problems at all, but when rebooting the software it just gets stuck on the "updating image gallery" at 0%.

I have removed the application with the app cleaner as described above, and downloaded the fresh installer app also from the link above, but still the same issues return... What do i do???

Please sign in to leave a comment.