Luminar 3 cannot see photos in library

Comments

40 comments

TORU ISHIMURA

I am experiencing similar problems with the Windows version of Luminar 3.

Gallery -  black rectangles to the some or all of the photos in the folder after the software malfunctioning.

It feels the Gallery became corrupt somehow as restarting the program or Windows OS is not fixing the problem.

Zooming  - Click to Zoom function always stops working after a while, after became not working,  If zoomed by choosing the top zoom ration selector or by using mouse wheel,  the zoomed photo gets pixelated.

Edit pane freeze - after the above mentioned  zooming malfunction, the adjustment controls of Edit pane become greyed out ans unable to move the adjustment bar.  

No problem with Luminar 2018 or other photo editing programs such as Adobe programes.

Win 10 64Bit Core i7 32GB ram GTX770

Comment actions Permalink
    Karl Buckholtz

yes,extremely slow to load library...hopefully a lot of "bug" update fixes to come

Duc Vu Anh

Make sure you have the internet connection on the computer that running Luminar 3 :(

Donald Cejnowa

I have same problem in Windows 10 with 16gb ram and 6 core amd.

Mark Spremulli

same issue with me

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jim,

We're aware of the issue and it will be fixed in the 3.0.1 update.

Roger Lancaster

I updated to Luminar 3.0.1 and still having the same probem mentioned above..i.e photos not showing up in library...only a dark square where the image should be. So Angela, the issue is not fixed

Dave Boettcher

Hi Angela Andrieux ,

I have upgraded to L3 3.0.1 1610.  I still am having the problem described above.

My system meets or exceeds the minimum requirememts. I run the MS update program re: the latest version of C++, etc. I am up to date on all.

Can you (Skylum) help on this problem which was to be fixed in this update?

Barry Gallagher

Same problem here on i5 8gb win 10 and also on i7 8gb win 10.

Just purchased latest version yesterday and getting black squares in library after making adjustments and then unable to retrieve adjusted photos.

Also photos definitely not in focus - how can I work on them.

No probs at all with LR or PS.

How do I get it sorted or get a refund.

Regards

Barry

Angela Andrieux

I'm sorry that the 3.0.1 update did not resolve your issues. Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support and we'll investigate.

Nikola Tucakovic

I'm currently running a Luminar 3 trial for both Mac OS and Windows.

Windows seems more performant and my PC is quite dated.

But Mac's edition seems much more stable with a few options I find missing on windows (no plugins option in Edit dropdown).

Also, on Windows, photos just aren't detected. I've tried to copy the directory where files weren't detected, and it didn't help. Apart from that, the image I've edited with  "Open Images for Quick Edit" can't load my edits (it only shows a blurred thumbnail over whole screen, where full image should be loaded).

Angela Andrieux

Hi Nikola,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll investigate further.

paul zwionsek

Hi,

i have just complete dark screen, doesn't matter which picture i open. This sucks

i9-7900X, 64GB RAM, 2080ti., Win10 Pro 180914

Helena Carter

Hi Paul,

• Please ensure that your computer meets the system requirements posted here.
    • Let us know your version of the app (start Luminar > click Help > About Luminar).
    • If there are any updates for your Windows, install them.
    • Ensure that you have NET Framework 4.7.2. Download it here (click this text to open link).
    • Ensure that you have C++ 2013. Download it here (click this text to open link). Select your preferred language, click Download, mark vcredist_x64.exe with a checkbox, and click Next to download it.  
    • Ensure that you have Visual C++ 2015. Download it here (click this text to open link). Select your preferred language, click Download, mark vcredist_x64.exe with a checkbox, and click Next to download it.

In case the steps above didn't help:

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it
      and send this file to support@skylum.com linking this thread as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

paul zwionsek

Dear Helena, 

thank you. I validated all points. All libraries are installed and the system itself is dramatically overmatching system requirements. I've created the system report and send to the support address.

One more observation i did right now:

I see, that if I include a folder in the library - pictures from this folder are visible. But I don't want to use this library as this function is even on my high end workstation not well performing. Everything not in the library is just black. I think there is a relation with the library functionality. 

Thanks and have a good day

Paul

Helena Carter

Thanks, Paul.

Our Support Team will get back to you as soon as possible.
    Please, try removing your Luminar  Catalog and adding your folders again (Library>Add Folder). If you don't want to use the Library, you can open you images for Quick Edits (File>Open Images for Quick Edit)

To remove Luminar Catalog:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.

Note that the albums you created in Luminar and edits you made will be removed. Your photos on disk won't be affected in any way.

paul zwionsek

Hi Helena,

i deleted the catalogue but opened images remaining black (open for quick edit)

Regards

Paul

Sherie Dracup

I have been dealing with support for a number of weeks, and still no resolution for the black box issue.  On February 17th, Anna from support sent me this. (Note I had asked about the new update as well):

Hi Sherie,

We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences caused.

Do I understand right that the issue lies in black thumbnails only?

As far as I can see from the screenshots, your menu is not greyed out.

You can launch Luminar 3 > click Help > Check for updates.

Alternatively, we can send you the update and you will be able to reinstall the app to the latest version.

Please try to find those files that do not open in Luminar 3 on your HD and move them to another folder and another location.

After that please launch Luminar 3 > File > Catalog > New and try adding these files once again.

Let us know how it goes.

I was able to download the update, and did move the folder and tried to reload.  No luck.  I don't understand why they keep telling us to do these steps, when it has been reported that this does not work.  So disappointed that a new update was released and this issue was not addressed.  I have voiced this to support, and also state that this makes me sad that I did not purchase ON1.

If anyone has heard of when a fix will be available, I would appreciate being notified.  Thanks

TORU ISHIMURA

I am staying away from using the program for a few months now. We users have given enough feedbacks regarding the problem. Let's hope there will be honest fix coming!!

Dustin Rubenstein

I have the same problem. Updated to 3.0.2 and now i have black thumbnails. Can't quit the program and have to force quit. This is on a mac. I reinstalled the software and it worked the first time I opened, but then never again. This software is terrible and I regret purchasing it. 

Maryna Skylum

Hi Dustin,
    Try the following solution:

• Make sure Luminar 3 is closed.
    • Launch Finder.
    • Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    • Launch Terminal.
    • Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults write com.macphun.luminar3 kMPPhotoStateDefault 0
    • Press Enter on your keyboard.
    • Close Terminal.
    • Launch Luminar 3.

Regarding black thumbnails, please let us know the following:

1. Did the thumbnails go black immediately after you added a folder to your library?
    2. Are all the thumbnails black?
    3. What is the camera model that the images that display black were shot on?
    4. Did you move the images to another location on your drive or in Luminar?
    5. If the thumbnails didn't go black immediately after you added a folder to your library, can you remember what preceded the issue?
    Karl Buckholtz

Luminar3 is just so far behind in functionality that it is not worth it to even attempt using it...I will periodically check back when more updates come out,but I'm not holding my breath on that.I will stick with Luminar 2018 as it does everything I want done,and flawlessly.Luminar 3 interested me as an alternative to my old LR program.Right now it cannot handle that,and the lack of 3rd party plug in integration (topaz/etc) makes this program useless to me

Dustin Rubenstein

Using the terminal command did not fix anything.

1) The thumbnails did go black after adding new folders.

2) I would say 98% of 22,000 thumbnails are black.

3) Many different cameras, ranging from DSLR, to iPhone, to even old scanned slides.

4) I recorded some folders, but the location of the main folder did not change.

5) I was cleaning up folders and adding new folders in Lightroom. But that has not been a problem with 3.0.1

As of now the program is completely unusable. This should not happen after a major release like this.

Maryna Skylum

@Dustin
    Thank you for sending us more details about this issue, we really appreciate your help.
    Could you please do the following:

1. Let us know the full path to the images which are black. To get the path, find the image in Explorer, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard > right-click the image > click Copy as path. You can then paste the path into your reply.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type %appdata%\Luminar 3 in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the folder that opens, locate the file named StateSettings.xml and send it to us.
    5. In the same folder, locate the folder named mipl and send it to us. You'll need to zip it before sending, refer to this guide if you need help with that.

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
      2. Create a .zip file out of the Luminar Catalog folder. Click here if you need help with that.
      3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

Please, send us all the info at support@skylum.com and refer to this thread.
    Dustin Rubenstein

I'm traveling and cannot send this (plus I said I have a mac and not a PC). How can this be the SAME issue I am reading about on this board since 3.0 and it has not been fixed in 3.0.1 or 3.0.2? Why are you releasing buggy software that makes it completely unusable? I have done a clean install and it still fails. 

Will you give me a refund on my purchase if this is not solved in 3.0.3? I'd rather put the money towards another year of LR because I know it will work.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dustin,

Please accept our apology for giving you the PC instructions. Here are the instructions for Mac. Please send the following to support@skylum.com and include a link to this thread.

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please also send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your reply to this email.

Thanks in advance! We look forward to hearing from you.

Matthew Schultheis

I'm having the same problem. Windows 10 Pro x64. All .NET and other Microsoft prereqs installed.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

32 GB RAM

Luminar 3 v 3.0.2.2186. It takes multiple minutes to start up.

Also have Luminar Flex and Aurora HRD installed.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Matthew, 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could investigate the issue in a more scrupulous way. 

Jack Goral

Upgraded to 3.1 and same problem. Catalog shows number of pictures in directories but when clicked on subdirectory no photos only arrows < on the left and > on the right. I have over 50k pictures in the catalog.

Michael Ganz

Same Problem like Jack Goral
    Before the update it worked!
    Any solutions?

Please sign in to leave a comment.