Where's the meta-data? Very disappointed.

Comments

13 comments

Wagner Felix

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I can't even conceive why you called this "Luminar with Libraries". A library necessitates a cataloging system, which Luminar doesn't have. I want to have an import tool that lets me move images from the card to a folder while adding keywords and changing the file name, for example. When Skylum says what you shipped is a library, you are just gaslighting the consumer. I bought into Luminar because the promise of a DAM that was postponed several times, and a year later all you have to show is a simple built-in file explorer that does nothing a library should do. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Dann Lavery

@ML  glad you found the "roadmap".  Perhaps @Wagner missed that info.  I personally do not presume the roadmap as hard dates.  Too many variables.

My concern is with the number of 3rd party DAM software options out there, its got to be very difficult to create tools that will read and bring in metadata from so many program into Luminar.  When I decided to cut ties with subscription software (one of the reasons in moving to Skylum software) I needed a stand alone DAM.  I found one, and went thru the pain of manually inputting data, Key wording, collections, albums and such.  

Perhaps there will be a day when Luminar will magically be able to read and import from other stand-alone DAM software.  Good for them.  Until then, I'm very pleased using stand-alone DAM software and using Skylum software for editing.

Hope you find a solution.

M L

I wasn't expecting hard dates but it would be nice to know if it's imminent or if I should plan on it being my Christmas present from Skylum next year. ;) If it's soon, I can maybe wait. If it's a whole year out then I might need to look around for another solution.

Also, it's fine if you want to use Skylum for editing and something else for DAM ... but Luminar with Libraries was supposed to be both and that was what this comment was about. IMHO it isn't a library if it can't do metadata. The public library with thousands of books isn't much use without a way to filter and search. Yes Luminar with Libraries can filter on some things but they are more EXIF based than IPTC based. To continue the public library analogy that's like a library only being able to filter/search for a book by publisher & copyright date and not title, author, genre, or keywords.

There are standard ways to pull metadata (or at least some of it). That is why there is an IPTC "standard". I've used several different pieces of DAM software over the years and past my first rookie mistake of not knowing to ask the right question regarding portability, they've all been able to at least pass back and forth (to varying degrees of success) the basics of metadata. So, no, IMHO, that part is not hard and it's not magic. I used software back in 2005 that could do that. Surely in 2018 they could have implemented that. My current catalog for just this year has over 60,000 pictures in it so manually rekeying all of that data just isn't an option.

Libraries need metadata and it needs to have at least the basics of metadata be portable. Until then in my book (pun intended) it isn't a library.

Marc Van Der Poel

I hadnt even looked at that yet, still looking for other basics to see if I want to make the switch.

Libraries without Medata ?!

Surely this an oversight.. unless added I certainly wont be making the switch to Luminar

K.G. Wuensch

@Dann, almost all of the other DAM do adhere to common standards on how to manage and store keywords and other metadata. That's why a DAM like iMatch can read Lightroom XMP or embedded IPTC data... A DAM without these capabilities shouldn't ever exist.

Peter Gutbrod

I agree. To bring over a complete library from another DAM, Luminar needs support for metadata.

My take on this is, I do not intend to migrate my 100k Aperture library into Luminar. They stick in Aperture and only new pictures go in Luminar. These do not have metadata that is not stored inside the picture and even if Luminar cannot access some currently, they are not lost and will be accessible when Skylum adds the feature.

M L

@Peter. I totally understand if you are leaving your existing library somewhere else Luminar doesn't need to read the metadata for your old pictures ... but does that mean that you don't plan on adding any metadata to new pictures for (supposedly) up to a year since Luminar can't add new metadata either? That's part of what I'm struggling with. I would be ok if it temporarily couldn't read my existing metadata on my existing pictures ... but not having the ability to add metadata to my new pictures for that long is an insurmountable problem for me. I barely have time to add metadata as I go when I import new pictures. I definitely wouldn't have time (up to) a year from now to go back add add metadata to the 60,000+ pictures I will take in the next year.

Like I said, it might be more of a big deal for me since my current solution has been End of Life'd by the developer and it's not worth migrating to Lightroom for me because I do NOT want to pay a subscription. I am desperate for a new solution and I was really hanging my hopes on the new Luminar DAM capabilities only to be sorely disappointed. If they had just said they were adding a file manager, that would be fine. The fact that they said they were adding DAM is what had me holding out so much hope for a workable solution. I wasn't naïve enough to think that the first iteration of it would be perfect ... but I did expect it to be able to do the basics of DAM and it doesn't IMHO.

I understand software companies have to prioritize and pick and choose what they work on. I also understand that they can't be all things to all people. However, I don't understand how they can call it a DAM without the ability to add or read or export metadata. As someone else, maybe in another thread, said, they've basically just implemented a Mac Finder/Windows Explorer to Luminar. That is not digital asset management by any stretch of the imagination in my opinion..

Peter Gutbrod

I agree, the Luminar DAM is more a file browser than a real DAM. On the other hand many people felt scary with these managed libraries, where your picture went hidden somewhere in package files (macOS). Maybe a synchronized folder structure is the better way. And to be fair, it is a bit more than a pure file browser. It syncs moves of pictures two ways, has some built-in metadata handling (star ratings, favorites, rejects etc.)

I personally do not have that much metadata in my Aperture libraries aside from EXIF data, that is stored inside the picture. Mainly special user defined metadata I need for my Aperture <--> Capture One/DXO non-destructive RAW roundtripping I'll do via apHUB my own suit of AppleScripts, that allows me to use Aperture primarily for DAM and do my edits in Capture One and DXO with automatic retrieval of edited JPEGs in different sizes plus sidecar files that get stored within the Aperture database. With a two monitor setup it basically feels like switching from browse to develop module in Lightroom (or now Luminar) but it is actually Aperture on one screen and C1/DXO on the other.

I currently have my pictures (JPEGs and RAWs) in a year/month/date folder structure and do my logical organization with virtual folders, projects, albums and intelligent albums within Aperture. That said with the simple separated, flat album structure of current Luminar, I see no chance to bring over that organization into Luminar.

The IMO best solution to get easy access of my Aperture pictures in Luminar would be a change of the filing structure in Aperture from date based to project based (can be done automated). That way the actual folder structure in Finder would mimic the project structure within Aperture. Adding the top folder to Luminar would show me the originals in the exact some organization as I'm used to in Aperture. Of cause albums will not be visible and all edits done in Aperture won't show in Luminar as well. But that is ok. I'm not using Luminar to mimic the poor editing capabilities of aperture. ;-)

Your situation seems to be very different as you need a fast and full substitution of your current DAM. Can feel the pain you have after realizing the limits of Luminar's current DAM implementation.

Richard Otte

I completely agree that without the ability to edit metadata that Luminar 3 doesn't add much to Luminar 2018.  I have LOTS of images in Aperture, and for each one I've added keywords for names of family members, vacation spots, activities, etc.  I use these keywords to search for images every single time I open Aperture.  I had hoped to begin using Luminar 3 to catalog my images beginning on Jan 1, 2019, but now it looks like I'll have to continue with Aperture for find something else.  I really hope that very soon Luminar 3 will have this ability.

Jim McHale

I agree with the others. Lack of metadata support means this is no LR killer, let alone poor replacement. If I cant access my metadata, then luminar is way over hyped.. 

Maxit _out

Where is the copyright option for Luminar 3? I was told that Luminar 3 was a one time purchase and that Luminar 3 was a mix of both Photoshop and Lightroom and yet there isn't a metadata to copyright your work? I enjoy and believe that Luminar 3 is a fantastic software but not having the capability to claim your work through copyright on Luminar is frustrating. 

Helena Carter

Hi Maxit,

Please, check how to add Watermarks here, I believe you'll find this article really useful: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-16-adding-a-watermark-or-logo

However, I've passed your feedback to our developers so they could consider it for the future.

Bjarne Winkler

With all respect but should adding a watermark not just be a one-click-operation, like select the which corner and you are done.  Clearly you should also be able to alter the location if needed.  But if you are doing events with several hundred photo that to me should be one operation and you are done.

Please sign in to leave a comment.