Long wait on start up

Comments

7 comments

Nigel Turley

I'm seeing similar issues with a 55,000 image catalog - at least 2-3 minutes load time with only the spinning wheel for company! Hoping this can be improved in future releases, or a preference which allows loading without the catalog for quick edits...

Comment actions Permalink
    Ian Chou

I have the Catalog on a NAS as well as the photos m(about 48K images). It generally takes more than 5 minutes to open the catalog. Several times it does not and I just get the beach ball forever and have to force quit.

If it does successfully open, I have to scroll for the thumbnails to appear. Luminar will often freeze as I am scrolling and I get another beachball that may or may not respond again.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bob, Nigel, & Ian,

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues at the end of January - beginning of February.

Ken Cronin

I have updated to Luminar 3.0.2.  The start up takes around 2minutes 50 seconds for a catalog of 17,209 images (although when it starts it defaults to the Quick Edits shortcut with 4 images).  On some occasions on startup I am presented with a popup telling me that a new version 3 3.0.2 is available, even though I am already on 3.0.2.  I am given the option to install etc. but nothing happens when I click on the install button and none of the exit, minimize or maximize radio buttons work.

I'd really appreciate a solution.  Regards ... Ken Cronin

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the 3.0.2 update. We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs and troubleshoot it. Please send the following to support@skylum.com.

Please send us your catalog:

1. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    2. Right-click the Luminar Catalog folder > click Compress and wait for the process to finish.
    3. Send us the .zip file you created in Step 2. We recommend a free service WeTransfer for that.

If you can recall, it would help us a lot if you could tell us which folders were added to your Luminar Catalog and where they were located: on an internal or external drive. You can make a screenshot of the filesystem, for example.

If your copy of Luminar is crashing, send us crash reports:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 3 in their names and attach them to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please also send us your Hardware UUID:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your email.

Thanks in advance! We look forward to hearing from you.

Ken Cronin

Hi Angela,

Thanks for getting back so quickly.  Yesterday, on startup, I got the same message about a new version 3.0.2 being available (even though I am already on 3.0.2).  On this occasion I was able to click on the install button.  The installation appeared to proceed and when I next opened the app the start up time was less than 2 seconds.  And it starts that quickly every time now.

If I have any more issues I'll try to get the crash report and send that through.

Many thanks .... Ken

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ken,

Glad to hear all is well for now. Don't hesitate to let us know if any other questions arise.

Please sign in to leave a comment.