Luminar 3 WITHOUT libraries

Comments

7 comments

Denis Kotsee

>the PLUGIN link for Luminar within A19 does not point to L3

We'll address this in the upcoming updates for Aurora and Luminar.

>There was no on-screen dialogue to ask "do you want to blah, blah, blah".  L3 simply shut down.

That's because Luminar automatically saves everything you do to photos. No action from user is required.

>Curious, I reopened L3 and behold in the LIBRARY was the edited version (thumbnail??) of the image I DID NOT want to keep.

This is intended behavior. To cancel edits, use the History button located above the histogram in edit mode.

>I was able to right+click on the image and move it to TRASH, however there seems no way to "empty the trash" within L3.

• when in Trash, right-click image(s) you want to remove > Delete Forever
    • when in Trash, select image(s) you want to remove > press CMD+Backspace on your keyboard
    • when in Trash, click Empty Trash in the upper right of the gallery

Regardless of the way in which you remove photos from Trash, they will go to your system trash.

>For those that want to use L3 as an editor only, Will we be able to abandon an image (COMMAND + Q, OR COMMAND + W) without it remaining to be forever embedded in the Library?

Use History button to step back to the original image if you want to cancel all edits.

Comment actions Permalink
    Linda Greene

I had a similar experience. The Luminar library functionality is too limited to fit in my workflow for a number of reasons, but I would be interested to be able to use L3 as an editor only as with Luminar 2018. Will this functionality be available in the future?

Dann Lavery

@Linda, the functionality is there for my purposes, however I was never one to save .lmnr files so I don't miss that feature in L3.0.0

I understand a way to save edit history is pending in a future update.

Dann Lavery

@Linda, the editting functionality is there for my purposes, just like L18, however I was never one to save .lmnr files so I don't miss that feature in L3.0.0

I understand a way to save edit history is pending in a future update.

Linda Greene

Hi @Dann I don't save .lmnr files either and do not need to save edit history. I have other editors that I use more, but I occasionally run a photo through Luminar and it was a quick way to supplement Aurora. But that link is broken with L3 although I did see it was a planned  future enhancement. I'm sure others will love the new L3 with Libraries but for me, using L3 as it is is just too cumbersome to work around the Library.

Dann Lavery

Hi, @Linda.
    I've been able to bypass the Library feature of L3 and have been using it just as per L2018. Only one minor change to my workflow. Skylum is aware of it and will patch it in the future. Even if the future is months away it's so minor it doesn't affect workflow.
    I work on a Mac and have dumped Lightroom years ago.

Hint: load one single image (RAW or JPG) into the library.

I use Bridge as my DAM. Once an image is L3 you will be able use the software normally. I use OPEN WITH from within Bridge (or Finder) to start L3 and it opens in the EDIT tab and functions just the same as L2018.
    Hoping you find a reasonable solution for your workflow.
    Happy New Year.

Linda Greene

Thank you for your suggestion @Dann. I also dumped LR years ago as it drove me crazy to have to import before I could cull from a shoot, so I use Bridge as an image browser as well. I am on Windows but have used a Mac in the past so am familiar with both systems.

I store my photos on NAS drives. When I first installed L3, I let it import only about 2,000 photos from the NAS. Then it took about 5 minutes to open the program, so removed them from the library and deleted the cache, etc. (as L3 did not). As you suggested I have one image from a local drive in the library. I used to be able to drag & drop from Bridge (NAS or local images) into L2018. I can not do that with L3.

L3 also does not display the image from an NAS drive, even if I use File, Open. I can see the file name in the Edit window but it appears blank (It did edit when they were in the Library but when in the Library it took too long to open the program). To be honest L3's editor is not robust enough for me to go to the trouble use it on a regular basis. I was going to remove it from my system but will probably wait it out for enhancements until I will need to pay for an upgrade and reevaluate at that point.

I appreciate your suggestions, thank you!

Please sign in to leave a comment.