Luminar 3

Comments

46 comments

Nigel Turley

"There are some speed issues when loading edited previews as reported elsewhere" - The thing is, mine aren't edited images - they're straight out of the camera. Luminar is applying a set of automatic edits and ideally I'd like to remove that functionality and retain as much manual control as possible...

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

Does L3 do some pre editing? Do not all raw editors do similar? Either way my Nikon unedited raw files load very fast, but am unsure if you are talking about a transfer from your camera (which I have not tried) or just an import from another folder on your computer or loading images already in your L3 catalogue. 

Nigel Turley

These are images already imported into the catalog from disk and loaded from the browse window into the edit module - but no previous edits have been performed in Luminar so they should be 'pure' RAW. In any case, whatever adjustments are being applied (whether they were made by the user or software), the load time from browse to edit is slow - I've read elsewhere that Skylum are aware of speed issues and looking for a fix in a forthcoming update...

Colin Grant

Then that is certainly not a problem I am seeing on my Mac. Moving from browse to edit is good.

Bob Rockefeller

"Then that is certainly not a problem I am seeing on my Mac. Moving from browse to edit is good."

I see the same processing on the switch from Library to Edit. My CPU meters spike, there's a delay, and the image updates to look better.

Opening a thumbnail to fit-to-screen in the Library does the same thing, even though it is not switching to Edit.

My interpretation is that the thumbnails are using the JPEG embedded in the RAW file and opening that to fit-to-screen, whether in Library or Edit, causes a RAW demosaic step to get to the "real" image. That conversion does seem slow.

Potentially worse is that the results don't seem to be cached, so when you go back to Library and then to Edit again, the same conversion takes place.

Colin Grant

I do see that when loading edited files and yes I believe L3 does use the raw embedded jpeg. Agree there cannot be any caching. It is certainly not good but does not take an age to load though - it does take too long I agree.

Eric Hanauer

I have yet to successfully edit a photo. Every time (at least a dozen) it has crashed on my iMac with the spinning wheel of death. It's got promise, but a serious bug fix has to come soon.

Brian Evans

In hindsight it was a mistake to load all of my existing libraries as it is now very confusing. I have 37k photos showing in the libraries and have a problem working out those that have been previously edited (I usually take a few of the same subject). But the odd thing this is some do show in the info screen the edited format if it's PS, JPEG or LMNR, but not if  it's Aurora which is a Skylum product (shortly to be fixed I believe). I'm now looking to remove all the pics from the library and use adobe bridge for my old stuff and just put new items in here. 

Marc Feldesman

I think the mistake Skylum made was setting an arbitrary release deadline just before everything closes for Xmas and New Years.  Making a major release so close to a major worldwide (mostly) holiday when no customer support is active and on top pf things, especially as buggy as this software seems to be to me, is a prescription for hard feelings between the customers and the company.  I’d have been fine with a point upgrade that add d more supported cameras than a buggy early release of a new version.

Marc Feldesman

There was a really nasty post on Reddit earlier today about Luminar 3, which CEO Alex of Skylum responded to.  Give the complaints here on Skylum's own community forum, I wonder why no one from Skylum is bothering to respond here?  Just curious.

Graham Bowden

That's if  Alex of Skylum really is Alex Tsepko and not just a troll pretending to be him.

Marc Feldesman

It was Alex Tsepko who gave his direct email address to users who wanted to communicate directly - alex@skylum.com.  I suppose it could have been a troll, but the answer didn’t seem trollish.

Rae Clevett

I have 2 EHDs with photos (so have doubles) and in total there are probably over 100K photos. It crashed a few times the first few days trying to automatic load (don't remember clicking an automatic upload but I guess I must have as someone said it asks you the first time you open). It kept freezing so I deleted it and then re-installed from downloaded installer that I used the first time. No question about whether I wanted to automatically upload, it just started doing it again. Does anyone know if I delete the installer from my download file and start fresh by clicking on emailed link to load L3, will I get a message asking if I want to automatic load, so that I can say no? I hate to just go ahead and do it without knowing if this will work b/c I've been running this all day so hopefully am at least 10-20% into  the loading and my guess is this is going to take days at the rate its going. Any thoughts? 

Rae Clevett

Update.....it froze so I just deleted the installer and went back to my email to load fresh from the emailed link. Again, it did not ask me if I wanted to auto load photos, it started doing it automatically so it looks like I won't be able to use this program as it keeps freezing and then crashes. How frustrating.

Marc Feldesman

Rae Clevett.  On a Mac, the default location for the catalog and database for Luminar is in ~/Pictures/Skylum/Luminar/....  You can drag the entire Luminar folder (there should be three files in there).  That will delete the catalog, the database and any metadata you imported.  When you run Luminar 3 again, it will ask you if you want to create a default catalog.  Say yes and you will get an empty catalog in the correct location.  At that point you can practice with Lum 3 by reading in a SINGLE folder with a small number of images.  Luminar 3 does not do well at this point with large catalogs.  It doesn’t do great with small ones either, but if they can get some of thecrippling bugs out, and dramatically improve performance, it has a lot of promise.

Rae Clevett

Thx. I will try that. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.