Luminar 3

Comments

46 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

Most users are reporting that Luminar 3 is working much more smoothly than Luminar 2018. Our official launch will be tomorrow and we invite you to download it and see if it works well for you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Graham Bowden

So far L3 is terrible.  Takes longer to boot up and there seems to be no way to open images to edit except through the new Library feature.  Trying any other way in my experience either opens a random image from one of the folders in the library or simply freezes L3 until it's shut down via "Force Quit Applications" (Mac).

Plugins other than Aurora are nowhere to be found and trust me I've looked and tried, they must be well hidden.

When using the library every image in every folder inside the the folder you've chosen is loaded for selection.  That means that if I click on the main folder that my images are kept in over 58,000 images are displayed (via scrolling of course) for selection.  The enclosed folder icons are visible and clicking on one of those now shows only all the image in that folder and any folders within it and so on.

Image thumbnails do not show if they are raw, tiff, jpeg etc so choosing the one you want to edit is by guesswork.

So far I have not closed L3 down in a normal manner.  Every time it's been vai "Force Quit Applications" when it's frozen up.

I've contacted Skylum and no doubt will get a reply as soon as they can.  I've always had good service from their help department.  I'm in Australia so email or via they contact page on the web is the only way to get help.

Colin Grant

When will it be available in the UK? It is not showing as downloadable yet.

Bob Rockefeller

Colin,

I agree. I've been running v3 for just an hour or so, but I see the same lag. When I switch to edit, the image almost seems to pile the adjustments on as I watch; there are several flashes of progressive application of filters until the image is really ready to edit.

This is an important area for improvement. The switch from Library to Edit needs to be more fluid.

John Tweddell

What time will it be available? and do we load it from Luminar 2018 as an update. I'm the UK lunch time 18th and cannot see it yet.

John Tweddell

If I select a set of three bracketed images in Luminar 3 and "open" in Aurora HDR (2019) they open as separate images - Am I missing something?

Howard Lebowitz

What happened to the History and Undo buttons?

They were on the top of the window in Luminar 2018 and now gone...

Colin Grant

Now got it and I can see that a lot of good work has gone into this. It is not as feature rich as I would like but it really shows a lot of promise and a lot of hard work. Well done. What I have noticed is when building the Library L3 takes a long time to load up tif files. I appreciate these are usually large files but it is much slower than Lr or DxO. In fact I still have a couple of tiff (not tif) showing a black spaces - is tiff acceptable? I appreciate that this is not a problem that will be experienced every day.

Thanks

Jesper Nielsen

Its stil slow

Jan Willem de Visser

The loading time of RAW photos in editing mode is slow compared to Luminar 2018 running on the same iMac...

Andrew Hewitt

Seeing the same here too. Opening an image experiences a series of changes as adjustments are applied, eventually you get to see the final result. This happened when in Edit or Library viewing modes. It makes browsing a series of images very difficult. It's like there is no Preview being generated, which should speed up browsing collections of images.

Carl Downing

I can't even open Luminar 3. I have a MacBook Pro with the latest OS, but I have to Force Quit as the App isn't responding.

Marc Feldesman

I downloaded Luminar 3 this morning.  We have two separate iMacs with top specs for their years (late 2015, and late 2017).  My wife uses the older machine for her Fuji XT-2 and XT-3 photos.  Using Luminar 3, it uploaded her files (about 23000) in about 10 minutes from a Lightroom managed folder.

I have a range of digital images stored from 2004-2018 totally about 150,000 images in a Lightroom managed folder.  When loading Luminar 3, I've been waiting for over 3 hours and only 2% of the photos have been "catalogued".  The program is unresponsive while this is going on.  If I click on any button, including the Quit, the program simply minimizes.  I have a mix of photos from earlier Canons, and all my recent cameras (since 2013) have been high megapixel count Nikons - D800, D810, D850, D500, Z 6, all raws.

Frankly, I expected speedier performance, given all the previews.  

This is an an iMac 2017 model, 64 GB RAM, Radeon 580 (8 GB), and 2 TB SSD, as well as several RAID arrays.  It has taken me about 8 minutes to write this message, and during that period, Luminar 3 has "imported" about 120 images.

What gives?

Carl Downing

I've spent 6 hours with this software and so far I haven't been able to edit a single photo. Not going to pursue further and uninstalling.

Marc Feldesman

34 minutes later, I'm up to 14,000 images catalogued.  At this rate, it will be tomorrow before all images are fully available in Luminar 3.  Unacceptable.  Even sluggish Lightroom Classic is speedier than this.  Unimpressed.  Blech.

Marc Feldesman

To be clear, I am not importing images.  I am simply adding a folder with dozens of subfolders, and approximately 150,000 raw images.  This is precisely the same that I did on the other iMac using a similar adding a folder with dozens of subfolders but fewer total images, all Fuji RAF files.

Greg Scott

Can I use Luminar 3 without using the catalog?  I already use Capture One catalog which allows me to maintain a separate catalog for each trip I take.  After RAW processing in Capture One, I export to Photoshop CC where I use Luminar as a plug-in.  Will I be able to continue this work flow with Luminar 3?

Marc Feldesman

Two hours since original message.  Less than 42% of images scanned.  You can't be serious about this being "speedy".  It makes Lightroom Classic CC look positively like a Ferrari.

lee raper

Luminar 3 is definitely a lot faster than previous Luminar.  My only gripe is that it takes about 1 minute to export 1 slightly edited photo and the export bar when it pops up at the top, stays empty...usually you get a running line showing the progress of the export, mine is just a blank line??  I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but nothing has changed. I am on an IMac using current version of high sierra. I can't upgrade to Mojave as my mac is 2011.

Marc Feldesman

Ok.  6 hours to catalog a folder with 132800 raw photos.  Now, trying to find them by date, location, or Lightroom star rating.

Wesley Allen

I’m running with my photos and library on an external drive, syncing settings for  18 photos took over 10 minutes to complete the process. So, it’s pretty slow.

Brian Evans

Hi, I've downloaded this today and I think the concept is good, but I have two issues. 1. I like to keep all my photos in one place no matter where they're edited but I find I can't do that. I edit using both Luminar and Aurora but my edited Aurora pictures don't show in the library so I have to hunt around my computer to find them, which is a great disappointment. I appreciate this is a Luminar library but perhaps a Skylum library would be better. For now I'll need to continue using my existing software where I can keep all versions of my photos together. 2. I can't seem to download pictures direct from the camera into the library. If I'm wrong on these issues please let me know. Thanks.

Floyd Summerhayes

Im using an iMac, with the new library its showing everything in my Pictures folder, is there anyway to stop Luminar seeing everything, for example I have a large collection of textures created and purchased over many years which are showing up all over the library which is quite annoying.

Greg Scott

I figured out the problem with the installation freezing at 100%.  For me, it happened when I initially changed the installation directory.  Once I accepted the default, the installation proceeded fine.

When I opened Luminar 3, a window popped up asking if I wanted automatic updates.  Couldn't get past this step without forcing the app to quit.  Tried twice.

Colin Grant

I agree. I've been running v3 for just an hour or so, but I see the same lag.

Thanks for confirming, Bob. It obviously gets worse as more edits are applied. It is like the preview is being built as one looks at the screen. Have not done any large imports so cannot comment on that aspect but have seen the issue where it takes an age to view tif/tiffs. RAW files (nef) have been fine as have jpegs of course. Some are reporting that L3 takes an age to boot but I am not seeing that. My catalogue is small though - just a couple of hundred images that I dragged into folders.

James Bruckman

Have downloaded L3, got photos on and worked on some. Exited program. Now will not open. Get "database initialization failed." On Skylum website followed their suggestion for this error. Was able to open and use again. Exited program. Not able to open program, get same error message.

When I could work with it, found it does great work. I think this program needs more work. Not up to Skylum standards.

Floyd Summerhayes

Agreed apart from my other concern, that the library shows every folder in the Apple pictures folder it is running slower than Luminar 2018. Going to uninstall and go back to 2018.

Nigel Turley

I'm seeing the same issue with the loading of an image from the library - there is a noticeable delay while various 'adjustments' are made - the annoying thing is that these are pure RAW images which haven't been edited in Luminar so I'm at a loss to understand what the software is doing. My preference is that NO automatic adjustments are applied to RAW images and that I have manual control over their development but perhaps a compromise would be an 'apply automatic adjustments' toggle in preferences?

Anthony Pagano

Luminar 3 is awful!!  I can't believe how terrible this software is!!  It's miserably slow and full of bugs!!  No other photo software that iv'e tried is as buggy or slow!!  On both my Mac and PC, with i7 processors and 16 gigs of ram. Way worse on my PC!!       

I sent an email requesting a refund for this unusable software, waiting for a response.  

In the mean time I bought ON1 Photo Raw and it runs great on both my machines!!  It's fast and stable!!

Colin Grant

I have been using L3 on my iMac 4k since launch and have a test catalogue of around 2500 images set up. I have only seen one crash which I cannot replicate. There are some speed issues when loading edited previews as reported elsewhere and the loading of tif images is very slow but apart from that I am quite impressed, although I agree this feels more like a pre-release beta than a 1.0 release. Not a Lr replacement yet by any means but when the functionality is expanded it could well be. 

So, my experience does not mirror your miserably slow and full of bugs. My summary would be good start, slow in places and lacking some fundamental functionality.

Please sign in to leave a comment.