How do I point Luminar 3 to my Photos library?

Comments

31 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Edwin,

Here is a video that should help: https://youtu.be/X7Q4nOtWxno

Comment actions Permalink
    Edwin M. Hopkins

Thank you, Angela,

According to this video, I have to make new copies of my photos in my Photos library and I most certainly do not want a whole lot of duplicate photos filling up my hard drive. The actual Photos library and its backup are quite enough for me. Does that mean that I cannot just point Luminar 3 at my Photos library the way I can with photos outside of my Photos library? This is an unanticipated disappointment.

Jonathan Meddings

What about Windows users? Do we get a tutorial?

Roger Collins

Bear in mind if you shoot in RAW and store RAW images in your Photos App on your Mac, when Luminar imports them from Photos they will be converted to jpegs. Alternatively you have to export original images from Photos to a folder then import into Luminar (which is fine but loses any edits you've done before (e.g. in Luminar 2018) as well as Tags and People recognition :-(

Marcin Wilczynski

Hi Angela, helpful video but do you know any easy way to import pictures from Luminar 3 into Photos library? Thanks, Marcin

Jeffrey Atkin

The video shows how to import photos into Luminar.  I'm not sure if that's what I want.  Like the original question says here, I want to POINT Luminar 3 to my Photos library, which in my case is on an external hard drive.  I don't want to copy the photos into a Luminar library on my hard drive.  The "Photos Library.photoslibrary" file on my external drive is grayed out when I try to select it as the place Luminar 3 should look for my photos.

Dick Fisher

The video says go to "media" in the finder sidebar.  This does not exist in Mojave 10.14.2 or I don't know how to add it.  In the Finder preferences it is not listed as a sidebar item.  It has "pictures" but that only allows photos outside the Photos app which is greyed out.  I know how to use the "show package contents" to reveal folders inside of Photos but I can't find a way to open them within the Libraries add folders finder window.

Denis Kotsee

There is a workaround to import images from Photos without copying them but Apple usually advises against such manipulations with package contents:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovunqplv3u3kjpl/PhotosRawWorkaround.mov?dl=0

Dick Fisher

Thanks, Denis, elegant solution.  "Apple advises against...,"  but isn't using this work around simply creating a shortcut in the Finder sidebar?  If you move files to that sidebar item will they be written into the pictures package?  And finally, does this solution solve the problem of RAW files extracted from Photos being written into JPEGs which negates the the "develope" function of the software?  Thanks in advance...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dick,

Yes, it is a shortcut. Writing images into that folder (and thus the pictures package) may corrupt your Apple Photos library. I would use that solution only to access the images that are already there, not to add new images.

Accessing your Photos images this way does allow you to grab the raw files rather than JPGs.

Jim Gagne

Angela wrote: "Here is a video that should help: https://youtu.be/X7Q4nOtWxno"

I viewed that video and found it incredibly confusing. It's not at all clear what was happening where or when.

Jason Dunn

This is confusing to me because I thought the entire point of Luminar 3's image library was that it did NOT import images and make copies of them - that it instead simply scanned the photos in place at their original location. Is that no longer true?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jason,

Luminar is built to work with your photos wherever you store them. You can also import new images to your hard drive using Luminar's importer tool (Mac only for now). However, including your images in the Luminar library does not duplicate your images - it merely references them and store the edits you make.

The exception that I believe is discussed in this thread are photos store in the Apple Photos app. Apple places all of these images in a protected package file that is not directly accessible to Luminar (or any other photo editing app). The solutions shared above are workarounds to help you access your images. We do suggest copying the images from Apple Photos so as to not accidentally corrupt your Apple Photos library.

Colin Grant

I have to agree with Angela on this. Apple Photos has always worked that way, I suspect because it is a database rather than just a simple folder of images. A problem not of Skylum's making. What I do is keep my raw files in Luminar, edit and then send the final jpeg to Photos. That does not get around the problem re existing images in Photos though.

Edwin M. Hopkins

I guess I will just have to keep going from Photos to the Luminar 3 extension rather than going from Luminar 3 to Photos.

By the way, Olympus Workspace can see all the way into Photos to my various photos; it just does not have the editing capacity of Luminar.

Colin Grant

There are other apps also that can read the image files from Photos. The problem comes when you want to edit them and retain the db integrity as defined by Apple. Even when you edit from Photos via an extension you are often editing a jpeg and not the original raw file.

Jason Dunn

Anyone who wants real control over their photos shouldn't use Apple Photos. I don't use it because of Apple's approach of being so entirely Apple-centric. It just doesn't fit with what I want to do with my photos; Apple's approach locks them inside what is essentially a database.

Roger Collins

On the other hand Jason - it automatically synchronises photos across, Mac, iPhone, iPad and iCloud and doesn't lock you into any one vendor for editing tools as you can use extensions (Like Luminar) for editing - so for many people I think that's a pretty strong proposition?

Colin Grant

Except you are editing jpegs in the extensions and not raw. That really makes it a bit of a happy snapper type of app from the editing perspective. What Apple locks you into is indeed a database, as is Lr as is Luminar, as is Capture One. 

Jason Dunn

@Roger: Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why it's a popular option for most people. Most people are probably well-served by the basic editing options on iOS/macOS and using iCloud to sync them all is just dandy. But throw one Windows computer into the mix, Google Photos, or one Android device or NAS, and suddenly that brittle, inflexible approach falls to pieces. I want more flexibility than Apple's approach to photo management can provide, so I don't use it. Thankfully I have that choice. 😎

Colin Grant

Of course you do @Jason, it is your choice and I suspect there are many Apple users who share your view (myself included). We have to acknowledge though that Photos was designed to fit in with the Apple ecosystem and as you say it does it well. If Apple had wanted to support the more demanding photographer they would have kept Aperture going. I don't expect they care too much about windows computers either :-)

Roger Collins

Fair comment Jason - I don’t think there is any magic bullet here that is the perfect solution for everyone. As long as we can each find a compromise we can live with I guess that’s ok.

Suraj Ravindran

As a new Luminar 3 (and Aurora HDR 2019) user, this and another discussion on this community has been very helpful so far.

All my photos are currently accessed via the Photos app. What I would like to do is to edit them in Luminar 3.

This is what I understand with respect to Luminar 3 as of now.

If I want to work on my RAW images, my best bet is to import them as originals (i.e. without any edits from Photos previously applied) using the workaround in the video referenced above.

Then, edit in Luninar 3 and use Luminar 3 as the main library. Export the edited images (no option but JPEG back to Photos so that I can sync it across my Apple devices and iCloud.

Effectively, I'll have two sets of photos in this manner. Edited originals referenced to in Luminar 3 and a 'final' edited JPEG version in Photos/iCloud.

Have I understood it correctly that the above is my best solution if I want to user Luminar 3 to edit my existing RAW originals and use it as a library (similar to using PS/LR on Windows in days past 😀) and also keep using Photos synced across devices?

Many thanks. Please excuse any newbie errors!

Anna V

Hi Suraj, 

Yes, you understood everything correctly. 

You can also use Luminar Flex as an extension to Photos(this is the solution that was used previously with Luminar 2018).

Chris Carsberg

As a new user myself of Luminar 3, the video describing this is very confusing and the import only seems to show the media file, referred to in the video when I am using a larger 21 inch monitor screen rather than my MacBook Pro screen! As I use my laptop away from the monitor in other parts of the house or when away in different locations, so far, I have been unable to download new images from my Apple Photos file and cannot fathom out how to do this!! I apologise for seeming to be a bit stupid but if someone could tell me how to do this on the laptop only, I would be extremely grateful. Many thanks. 

Helena Carter

Hi Chris ,

In this case, please follow the steps below:

In Finder, go to Pictures > right-click or ctrl-click on the Photos Library > Show Package Contents > drag the Masters folder to the Favorites bar on the left - now Luminar 3 can see the folder and import the originals from it.

Chris Carsberg

Hi Helena

Thank you very much for this and I have now downloaded my Photos Library. One further question from a rather green user; do I have to do this same procedure every time I import additional images from Photos? The Luminar help facility does not seem very geared up to help users and more information seems to be available from the users forum!

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris Carsberg

Angela Andrieux

Hi Chris,

Luminar's library should automatically update when new photos are added to your Photos Library when accessing the images in the method that Helena described. If updates aren't appearing you may need to relaunch Luminar.

René Vlak

Hmmm, it seems Apple has complicated things further with the new Photos under MacOS Catalina.

When I expand the photo library (with 'Show package contents') there no longer is a 'Masters' folder with subfolders by year, but instead an 'originals' folder with seemingly randomly named subfolders called '0','1','2', etc. and 'A', 'B', 'C', etc. This makes it virtually impossible to find specific RAW files you want to edit in Luminar:

Alternatively, I tried importing photo's into Luminar the regular way (via Luminar 3 > File > Import images > Media > ....) as explained here https://vimeo.com/306114171. However, it appears that any RAW files are converted to JPEG before they are imported.

The same happens when editing a photo from Apple Photos in the Luminar extension; what you are editing is the JPEG version, not the RAW version of the image.

As far as I can see, the only way to edit RAW files is to export them as 'Original images' from Apple Photos, import them into Luminar 3, edit and export them, and then import them back into Apple Photos. Pity it can't be done any easier.

Is Luminar 4 perhaps going to make this easier? I prefer to stick with Apple Photos as my image library from where I import any new photos and do a first selection and edit, rather than changing my workflow to importing new images into Luminar, editing them there, and then exporting them to Apple Photos.

Tol Ware

Thanks René!

I agree. Apple Photos keeps things simple. I suggest Luminar and Apple step up their game!!! But that won't happen. So I think export from Apple photos into a Luminar dedicated folder and have your workflow go from there.

Skylum and Apple please make this easier for us photographers!  Time is money and wasting wayyyyyy to much time on this workflow. Love the software on Luminar 4 it is great. I'll let yall know if I figure out a better workflow and please to the same on this thread!

Thanks and Happy Shooting!

Please sign in to leave a comment.